hondajimz

Life's regrets

Looking back one of my biggest regrets is not joining the military out of school. I was too stupid and hard headed back then but today I wish I had joined. I respect our military now more than ever and I probably would have been a good soldier. Thank you to all those who served or are currently serving. 

What are some of the things you guys look back on now and regret ? 

Regret not jumping in the military right out of school also and not getting a divorce sooner.  Put the kids through too much thinking I was helping them.

45 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

Looking back one of my biggest regrets is not joining the military out of school. I was too stupid and hard headed back then but today I wish I had joined. I respect our military now more than ever and I probably would have been a good soldier. Thank you to all those who served or are currently serving. 

I also regret not joining.  But  then again you have to think how different your life would of been if one had made different choices back then.  I probably would of not met my wife, not had my son, etc, etc.   Life would probably be much different, good or bad...

I regret joining the military out of school.  :bigrin  

Should have finished college first, then gone in as an officer. 

Working full time and going to college after I got out of the military was the more difficult path.

I regret getting out of the military after 8 years, and not staying until retirement. 

No regerts...

Posted (edited)

I honestly don't think I have any regrets.  I don't stress about life or what decisions I have made. 

Edited by megadesertdiesel

I regret not being more persistent and fighting back harder when I was young. I let people get in my way and permanently, drastically alter the course of my life for the worse. If I had any advice for my teen self, it would be, "Screw them, fight for what is yours and don't let them get in your way." 

Could I have done a few things better? Hell Yes!

Would I have learned a few of the lessons I NEEDED to learn the HARD way? NOPE, would have most likely effed up real bad......and might have something better for this thread :lol:

I've made mistakes. Some still hurt to think about and that person probably feels same when they think on it.

Big Regret - the way I shut my Father out when I was in high school (1986 - 1990) and never quite made things good between us before he passed in 1994.

2 hours ago, hondajimz said:

Appreciate your comment.  Forgot to mention it earlier.

Same, wish I would’ve joined the military. As a teen, I didn’t think about the future just lived day to day 

I regret clicking on this thread.

I regret not becoming an engineer. I didn't know what an engineer did when I got out of high school. Now that I have a better grasp of the problem solving done by good engineers, I'd have been really good at it, not to mention more fulfilled.  

I have many regrets, but I have also learned to be happy with where I'm at and what I have.  One example is I'm liking my Maverick XC 1000R more and more every month, or every off road trip.

However, to contribute to this topic, one of my biggest regrets is not becoming a lawyer.

No Egrets, but a few Parrots..

33ace3dd1acd83b5d7c19ec996a0ac4e913e6e290cf7e9c6c02af0e3517731d2.jpg

4 hours ago, Flip-Flop said:

I regret joining the military out of school.  :bigrin  

Should have finished college first, then gone in as an officer. 

Working full time and going to college after I got out of the military was the more difficult path.

Thank you for your service. 

My niece did ROTC all through high school. Went to VMI and joined the Marines as an officer. Was stationed in Yuma and oversaw the Air Traffic controllers on base. She married her boyfriend she met at VMI and he became a Captain. Life seemed perfect to all of us and we thought they were set for a bright career/future. Unfortunately she ended up being unhappy in her career and marriage. Got out of the military and divorced as well. I was so bummed as I was kind of living vicariously through her. 

3 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

Could I have done a few things better? Hell Yes!

Would I have learned a few of the lessons I NEEDED to learn the HARD way? NOPE, would have most likely effed up real bad......and might have something better for this thread :lol:

I've made mistakes. Some still hurt to think about and that person probably feels same when they think on it.

Big Regret - the way I shut my Father out when I was in high school (1986 - 1990) and never quite made things good between us before he passed in 1994.

Sorry to read about that Crusty.  

3 minutes ago, JDMeister said:

No Egrets, but a few Parrots..

33ace3dd1acd83b5d7c19ec996a0ac4e913e6e290cf7e9c6c02af0e3517731d2.jpg

Trust me there are ZERO programmers who look like that.  I'm in the IT business.  If there were Software Developers who looked like that, I would be studying things like Angular, Machine Learning, and Hadoop much more vigorously :)

33 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

I have many regrets, but I have also learned to be happy with where I'm at and what I have.  One example is I'm liking my Maverick XC 1000R more and more every month, or every off road trip.

However, to contribute to this topic, one of my biggest regrets is not becoming a lawyer.

Don't feel bad. We have too many already. lol

Posted (edited)

Sometimes I think it sucks being the only guy that didn't do Britney Spears and Madona back in the day.....then I think....well I don't have herpes....so life works out I guess.

Edited by realbadlarry

Dropped out of ROTC when my vision excluded me from flying (though I didn’t take my grades seriously enough to qualify for what I wanted anyway). Worked as an engineer for Nissan then decided I didn’t like cars that much (automotive engineering is glorified accounting). Went back for computer science later on. 

Could’ve saved a bunch of schooling money had I just seen it through, but probably would’ve never met my wife, so regret it, but not when I think about it any further. 

I regret a one night stand I had in right after HS graduation. Went to a party the weekend after graduation with some friends that went to another school. Huge party, met a girl that went to another school and we hooked up that night at her friends house. Hot chick, she was a junior at the time (yes I was still under 18). Heard a few days later she was trying to get ahold of me but I just blew her off as I had plans to go away for the summer anyway. Well, found out after the summer that her parents owned one of the largest car dealerships here in the Phoenix area! DAM!!! Oh, and not joining the military to become a heli pilot.

1 hour ago, Buggydave said:

I regret a one night stand I had in right after HS graduation. Went to a party the weekend after graduation with some friends that went to another school. Huge party, met a girl that went to another school and we hooked up that night at her friends house. Hot chick, she was a junior at the time (yes I was still under 18). Heard a few days later she was trying to get ahold of me but I just blew her off as I had plans to go away for the summer anyway. Well, found out after the summer that her parents owned one of the largest car dealerships here in the Phoenix area! DAM!!! Oh, and not joining the military to become a heli pilot.

Maybe you would have regretted hooking up with her JUST because her parents had money?

Posted (edited)

I dont wanna jamb up the server with all mine there’s to many to list .

But to put the one down . The one that constantly haunts  me , that I have dreams about weekly  that never leaves me is

had I not been out chasing kitty all night of june 29th 1996 . I would have woken up the next morning at home and maybee done something with my dad that day  and he would still be here . Instead took a  callout to work where he lost his life .  Tuff time of year for my family . I have trouble sleeping to this day . I took this picture last week . I put the sign off his service truck up there when I was 19 

D78E86F5-24D3-4543-AFEA-BF97F070209F.jpeg

Edited by davyjones