hondajimz

Life's regrets

38 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

Maybe you would have regretted hooking up with her JUST because her parents had money?

Your probably right. I heard she was high-maintenance. 

6 hours ago, megadesertdiesel said:

I honestly don't think I have any regrets.  I don't stress about life or what decisions I have made. 

what he said life has been great .. my biggest reward is helping people .

3 hours ago, davyjones said:

I dont wanna jamb up the server with all mine there’s to many to list .

But to put the one down . The one that constantly haunts  me , that I have dreams about weekly  that never leaves me is

had I not been out chasing kitty all night of june 29th 1996 . I would have woken up the next morning at home and maybee done something with my dad that day  and he would still be here . Instead took a  callout to work where he lost his life .  Tuff time of year for my family . I have trouble sleeping to this day . I took this picture last week . I put the sign off his service truck up there when I was 19 

D78E86F5-24D3-4543-AFEA-BF97F070209F.jpeg

I am so sorry to read this and that is a tough burden to bear. They say time heals all wounds but it doesn't seem like it has gotten any easier for you. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Buggydave said:

You know what they say about every hot chick; somewhere some guy is tired of her bullshit (i would know, im married to the hottest women i ever laid eyes on :lol:)

I regret quitting racing when i did the way i did. It was my biggest passion in life and the advent of the 450 4 stroke came at a time when a close family member passed and i took to drinking and partying and slipped into a long depression. Im still effed up to this day. I went from confident always smiling and life of the party to introvert and uncomfortable in my own skin.

i regret not giving many women a chance out of an attempt to respect those that in the long run did not respect me. I have a tendency to try to make people happy and it usually is at my expense unreciprocated. 

I regret that i dont take more professional risks in life.

Edited by sausage450r

I've made a couple poor financial decisions, wish I bought more guns earlier in life, would have a liked a 3rd child.

But overall, no regrets. Great life and family.

Regret not extending my enlistment in the USCG to experience something else but it allowed me to pursue my wife (28 years last week).

Regret working too much but it allowed me to afforded to put the kids through college / grad school debt free.

Regret my dad passing when i was 17 but it made me have to grow up sooner and i was on a destructive path.

All in all, I regret a few things a bit but am very thankful for so many others that the regrets pale in comparison. 

There are a few things over my life that I wondered what could’ve happened if I took the other road, or opened the other door.   It’s fun to think about some times.    There is one now that I think about often the older I get. I wish I would’ve bought five years into my retirement when it was offered when I got hired at the water district 25 years ago.   That’s a lot of money I didn’t have at the time, and should’ve taken a loan and did it.    I didn’t think I’d be there this long, ha ha. Right now I would be smiling and whistling dixie if I did.  

People don't always acknowledge ALL the facts behind the decision making process for choices that were made in their life in the past. NEVER look back. If you learn from your mistakes, let it ALL go. 

12 hours ago, Buggydave said:

I call it " The prison cell with the golden bars".

I have regrets everyday, some big some small. I try to build off of them and learn but sometimes struggle with that. I love where I’m at in life but wish I could just manage it better. 

47 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

People don't always acknowledge ALL the facts behind the decision making process for choices that were made in their life in the past. NEVER look back. If you learn from your mistakes, let it ALL go. 

x2. How in the world are you to develop into who you are with out taking a few wrong turns, or missing others. These are what gets and keep you pointed in the positive direction. I would never feel bad about them unless I made them twice. 

I have 3:

1. I was kicked out of Power School for not maintaining the required GPA (It was not for lack of effort though).

2. I started smoking when I was in the Navy.  (I'm coming up on 3 years off of it now.  :) )

3. I never finished my 4 year degree.

I cant do anything about the first 2, but I might go back to school to finish my degree, simply because I made a commitment, I started it & never got it done. 

No regrets at all. Just had our 30th anniversary. Have a beautiful wife, 2 daughters and 2 grandsons. When I was 17 I got thrown in jail for multiple items. Tried to go in the Navy but had a hernia. Ended up not going while recovering from surgery. Big fork in the road that could have been much different. 

56922740_130657831379173_1706712569118457856_n.jpg

I have a couple regrets and there’s a bunch of things I wish I had done differently but..

23E84C83-D1F7-451C-B8A2-04F6EEDBE5B4.jpeg

Wish I would have joined the military right out of school.  I also wish I would have gotten in the Fire Service earlier than I did, I was 30 before I became a FF

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I have a couple regrets and there’s a bunch of things I wish I had done differently but..

23E84C83-D1F7-451C-B8A2-04F6EEDBE5B4.jpeg

... my rug man 

On 6/28/2019 at 8:57 PM, ahipara 55 said:

Maybe you would have regretted hooking up with her JUST because her parents had money?

Pssshtttt!!!!! Please!!!! I'm in the car biz you want to talk about regrets???!!!! Well, none really but time??? What's that?! 

1 hour ago, Chingon619 said:

Pssshtttt!!!!! Please!!!! I'm in the car biz you want to talk about regrets???!!!! Well, none really but time??? What's that?! 

Huh?

46 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

Huh?

Sorry was mostly about buggydaves comment about the girl who's parents owned a major car dealership in town yadda yadda. 

I laugh at people when they say no regrets. 

I have a lot of regrets. I have made a lot of mistakes.  But those mistakes have made me into the man that I am today. It taught me who I don’t want to be. 

At 34 I finally like myself. 

ONE (1): I didn't take the full ride scholarship offered out of Junior College to continue my football career

TWO (2): I didn't go down to the San Diego County DA's shooting range with my Dad. He was the range master. His DA's were there to meet his son and had every kind of gun to shoot. I hated letting him down that day. 

THREE (3): Earning the nickname DUMB-AISS!! Peace

Great topic HondaJim

Interesting that a lot of you regret NOT joining the military.  Any particular reason?

I did join right out of high school.  I enlisted, was a jet mechanic for 9 years, got picked up for a Commission...flew helicopters for 16 years among many other things.  I retired at 43 with my pension, medical and other benefits.  I haven't worked in 6 years and just go to school.  I'm getting ready to finish my second Masters.  I mainly do it because the VA PAYS me to go to school...on top of paying for school.  Kind of nice, but after 3 years of going to school (Masters, Culinary college, second Masters)...I'm really over school.  It's not hard, just over it.  I still have more time left to get a third Masters if I want.

With all that said, I hated the Navy.  I enjoyed my jobs, enjoyed mentoring young people, helping junior personnel that didn't have a voice.  I hated the leadership, the constant social and political experiment that we had to go through.  I hated budget cuts and having to try and keep my troop's morale up when I knew I was even lying to myself.  I have a very different view of America.  I see America as an ungrateful country and people.  All the talk of people supporting Veterans is absolute bullshit.  I constantly get my benefits cut or put on the chopping block by Congress and the President (not bashing Trump, just all Presidents).  I was promised things that Congress takes away and gives to others who haven't earned it.  Congress took away military pension retirement.  Now all new personnel joining have to pay into a 401K type program if they want a retirement...which they can't draw on until they are 65...unlike my pension that I could have taken at 38 without penalty.  I could go on and on...  I'm glad I did it, I'm grateful for what I have, but it took a lot of my soul with it.

Regrets?

I wish I hadn't partied as much as I did.  I had a lot of fun, have a lot of memories and stories but it took a toll on my body and mind.  Overall, I just wish I had taken better care of myself.  I also wish I had been a better man at times.  I think we all have a few of those moments we wish we could rewind and do different.

I also wish I had more actively pursued getting a job when I first retired from the Navy.  It's been a challenge to find a job now having been out of work for 6 years.  I don't have to work, but I just want more.  Plus, I'm bored.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Mac said:

Great topic HondaJim

Interesting that a lot of you regret NOT joining the military.  Any particular reason?

I did join right out of high school.  I enlisted, was a jet mechanic for 9 years, got picked up for a Commission...flew helicopters for 16 years among many other things.  I retired at 43 with my pension, medical and other benefits.  I haven't worked in 6 years and just go to school.  I'm getting ready to finish my second Masters.  I mainly do it because the VA PAYS me to go to school...on top of paying for school.  Kind of nice, but after 3 years of going to school (Masters, Culinary college, second Masters)...I'm really over school.  It's not hard, just over it.  I still have more time left to get a third Masters if I want.

With all that said, I hated the Navy.  I enjoyed my jobs, enjoyed mentoring young people, helping junior personnel that didn't have a voice.  I hated the leadership, the constant social and political experiment that we had to go through.  I hated budget cuts and having to try and keep my troop's morale up when I knew I was even lying to myself.  I have a very different view of America.  I see America as an ungrateful country and people.  All the talk of people supporting Veterans is absolute bullshit.  I constantly get my benefits cut or put on the chopping block by Congress and the President (not bashing Trump, just all Presidents).  I was promised things that Congress takes away and gives to others who haven't earned it.  Congress took away military pension retirement.  Now all new personnel joining have to pay into a 401K type program if they want a retirement...which they can't draw on until they are 65...unlike my pension that I could have taken at 38 without penalty.  I could go on and on...  I'm glad I did it, I'm grateful for what I have, but it took a lot of my soul with it.

Regrets?

I wish I hadn't partied as much as I did.  I had a lot of fun, have a lot of memories and stories but it took a toll on my body and mind.  Overall, I just wish I had taken better care of myself.  I also wish I had been a better man at times.  I think we all have a few of those moments we wish we could rewind and do different.

I also wish I had more actively pursued getting a job when I first retired from the Navy.  It's been a challenge to find a job now having been out of work for 6 years.  I don't have to work, but I just want more.  Plus, I'm bored.

Your opinion on the military is much in common with most military people i know; with the exception of a few; who both were commissioned. My brothers were navy, One lost an eye in a training accident and the navy dropped him and said too  bad so sad. Reading accounts like that of red platoon and dog company in Afghanistan, or pat tillmans story really take the shine and honor out of the service. Seems like the social class order of the military at the officer level (nco vs co) really is were it parts. 

Would love to know your feelings mac

Edited by sausage450r

2 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

Your opinion on the military is much in common with most military people i know; with the exception of a few; who both were commissioned. My brothers were navy, One lost an eye in a training accident and the navy dropped him and said too  bad so sad. Reading accounts like that of red platoon and dog company in Afghanistan, or pat tillmans story really take the shine and honor out of the service

Dude...I could go on and on for days.  Senior leadership in the military is the worst display of ass kissing and "what's in it for me" I've ever seen.  Yet they wrap themselves in the flag and try to look honorable.