realbadlarry

Whats wrong with the Wildcat XX

Fun thread  everyone seems to be on TOP of their game. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, socaldmax said:

Some people seem to be biologically incapable of agreeing with other people. Some day they'll figure out that it doesn't make you any less of a man.

:lol:

I agree 100%. Must be rough. :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

Some people seem to be biologically incapable of agreeing with other people. Some day they'll figure out that it doesn't make you any less of a man.

How do you know for sure?  I mean really, really, know for sure that it doesn't take just a little teeny bit of your manhood??????  What if it does?  Would a double sheer mount on the toilet seat get it back????????

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 7:17 PM, Phoenix7 said:

Obviously this poor man was drunk and abused a rock solid SxS just like drunk drivers do.

LOL!   I believe the story was he rolled it at a track.  

Edited by Sand Shark

On 7/2/2019 at 12:49 PM, Phoenix7 said:

Thanks @DuneTrack-N and @SofaKing for introducing me to the Presidents Choice Trail.  I absolutely will be going there very soon, because my interest in all-terrain trails has skyrocketed in recent months.  If either of you may need riding partners in Parker at some point in time, please PM me and we can meet.  I can tell you that I'm much more motivated and flexible in meeting for all-terrain rides than for duning trips.  I still need to work things out on my own to see how I'll be enjoying the dunes, and I have a friend who wants to show me around Buttercup sometime next season.

next planned trip is Christmas/New Years we will go to Glamis first then stop for a few days in Parker to wheel the rocks with a few jeeps

I'm sure there will be a few rides prior to that but they just aren't planned out yet

This thread is all over the place! :eye1:

On 6/29/2019 at 11:26 PM, NIKAL said:

Next and latest issue seems to be some are having gearbox failures. The front, rear gears & clutch are all built by Team Ind, the same company as Polaris. So not sure exactly what’s going on there??? Weddle has been rebuilding them and finding many of the issues seem to be assembly related or not shimmed properly. Heard Weddle plans on building aftermarket parts that they have seen fail. 

Stumbled across this today, I'll chime in.

The rear gearbox (trans) is virtually the same as the Polaris RZR, made by the same manufacture. They have some very small fine tooth gears that are made as fast as possible and cut out of the cheapest material they can use. Typical failures have been high gear and the rear final drive gear breaking teeth off. 

We do our "Weddle Race Prep" to these the same way we do the Polaris and Can-Am trans, debur the sharp corners off of the gears to reduce the chance of a crack starting. Shot peen the gears to reduce surface tension, further reducing the chance for a crack to start. Micro polish the gears to help with longevity and reduce friction. Replace all of the Chinese bearings with high quality SKF, Koyo, ***, etc. bearings, these have been a main failure point in the Polaris trans. Finally, we take measurements of all of the shafts and add a specific amount of preload to keep them from moving around inside the housings, this is a main cause of bearing wear and case failures. This is basically the same process that we have done for the early VW transaxles to get them to survive off-road use in the early days.

The front diff in the Arctic-Cat/Textron is a whole other level of bad engineering and design, but I have been getting them to be a bit better. The main issue is to properly set the ring gear to have proper gear lash for lubrication, the entire diff carrier needs to be moved 0.060"-0.080", which is a huge amount. Once proper gear lash is adjusted, the diff carrier is moved over so far that the diff lock mechanism can no longer be used, so I have to leave the differential as an "open" diff, once you get one wheel off the ground, you will lose forward drive from the front. This is not a big deal for use in the sand as is actually makes the car drive better, it's more of an issue for rock crawling and mud/snow/ice driving.

So far, we can get them to survive, but they are still not bullet proof. We will make HD gears for them someday, we are actually clearing up some design time for all of the UTV drivetrains, hopefully we'll have some HD gears for Can-Am front diff's next year.

My 10 year old daughter loves hers

736C52DE-2C62-4EDB-AAB9-111FB0E99DE3.jpeg

FBD03E63-616A-45CA-9101-D08E59C52353.jpeg