Sign in to follow this  
Grease Monkey

Need tips and advise on travel to Kauai.

Best places to stay? Cost and location.

Thinking 10 day trip. 

Rent a car or uber?

Things to do, see, sea?

Thanks.

:sail:

Posted (edited)

Kaanapali if you want tourist experience. Napili area for more casual atmosphere.

Snorkel trip from Maalaea Harbor to Turtle Town and Molokini. 

Haleakala bike trip I heard is good although I have yet to try it.

Spend a day in Lahaina. Traffic can be brutal coming and leaving from Kaanapali to Lahaina/Maalaea.

Golf?

Edited by ahipara 55

No golf for me, might call on an old client n see about a fishing trip.

I would do Kaui instead of Maui.......just sayin....way more relaxing....

My brother in law lived on Maui and gave us some great pointers when we were there. Wife and I have snorkeled a fair amount and hands down the neatest spot ever was when we did a 70 mile boat / snorkel trip around Lanai.  They stop a few different places. Lanai is good sized island approx. 10 miles out from Maui. The neat snorkel spot was over on the west side of Lanai near the south. It was a rock that jutted out of the water well away from the shore of the island. Our guide dove down to attach the rope to a hook down in the rocks to hold the boat. Incredible spot with the amount of fish and how deep you can see. As much as we love to snorkel many have told us to learn to dive and you will never snorkel again. We are not there yet. Road to Hana is really neat. We rented an SS Camaro and I broke the rear end. Then got a mustang with a turbo. Performance car on that road is a must! You never thought 40 mph could feel so fast. :sha: Once near Hana we followed an arrow directional sign and found some locals cooking food for a big party. They welcomed us in and we bought our meals. Beautiful beach going both ways and very secluded. (This part of the island gets a lot of rain and is very green and dense)  Also the same day and that part of the island we did the couple mile hike to Wailua falls . Beautiful hike that takes you through some very dense bamboo forest.  Lots of neat snorkel spots in Maui.  Ono tacos and hula pie at https://www.leilanis.com/ are an absolute must! https://www.keokisparadise.com/ on the south side of Kauai is owned by the same people and you can get hula pie there also. We went to Kauai last year and I had a swordfish taco there. Also excellent. Kauai is much greener and different than Maui. I like both.  Ziplining on Kauai was really fun. Also some incredible beaches but the snorkeling is not quite as good. If you go to Maui let me know and I can find all my old notes on what else we did. Like I said my brother in law lived there building homes and knew all the neat spots. I only highlighted a few. There was a lot more we did.

Yes that’s what I said  Kauai is better 🏝️

Subscribed. Wife wants to do Hawaii for our 10th wedding anniversary in 2021. We did Kauai for our honeymoon. She wants to do Maui this time. 

1 hour ago, Hexnutz said:

Yes that’s what I said  Kauai is better 🏝️

It's Kauai then. 

Keep the info coming. Wanting to make the best of this trip.

Thanks everyone.

5 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

It's Kauai then. 

Keep the info coming. Wanting to make the best of this trip.

Thanks everyone.

honeymoon ? 

Posted (edited)

Call me tomorrow. Too much to type!

Love Kauai, was there in May and going back in July/Aug

We like the South end of the island, Poipu.  Island is small, rent a car, can drive to the 'other' end in a couple/few hours. 

Check out air bnb's unless you want a hotel. Nice to have a kitchen, cook at home, save some $$ although grocery stores are pricey but there is Costco, Walmart and we love the hole in the wall places  to eat. 

Keokis, Brennekes, Kauai Beer Co, Marks for plate lunch. Tip Top Cafe if you want an absolute local grinds. Island Taco, Puka Dog, Da Crack. Hit the local farmers markets. Food trucks in Koloa Town. Beach House for a fancy dinner. Pono Market - plate lunch. 

Things to see: Poipu, Kapaa, Princeville, The Light House on east side. Waimea Canyon. Cruise on the Napali coast

Zip lining was a good time. Helicopter tour is worth it. Hanalei Bay. Lots of the far North end is locals only now due to the roadways since the last big storm but see how far the road is open!

Edited by matt86m

6 minutes ago, matt86m said:

That's on Maui! 

Started the thread with Maui, it's changed. :lol:

16 minutes ago, matt86m said:

That's on Maui! 

I thought I was losing it...........

5 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

Started the thread with Maui, it's changed. :lol:

Figured that's what it was! 

Just now, ahipara 55 said:

I thought I was losing it...........

Haha I realized he changed it after reading what was here.

21 minutes ago, matt86m said:

Call me tomorrow. Too much to type!

Love Kauai, was there in May and going back in July/Aug

We like the South end of the island, Poipu.  Island is small, rent a car, can drive to the 'other' end in a couple/few hours. 

Check out air bnb's unless you want a hotel. Nice to have a kitchen, cook at home, save some $$ although grocery stores are pricey but there is Costco, Walmart and we love the hole in the wall places  to eat. 

Keokis, Brennekes, Kauai Beer Co, Marks for plate lunch. Tip Top Cafe if you want an absolute local grinds. Island Taco, Puka Dog, Da Crack. Hit the local farmers markets. Food trucks in Koloa Town. Beach House for a fancy dinner. Pono Market - plate lunch. 

Things to see: Poipu, Kapaa, Princeville, The Light House on east side. Waimea Canyon. Cruise on the Napali coast

Zip lining was a good time. Helicopter tour is worth it. Hanalei Bay. Lots of the far North end is locals only now due to the roadways since the last big storm but see how far the road is open!

Yep! Exactly what I’ve been saying thank you Matt 

Been to Kaui I think 3 times now,  last time was last feb and stayed in a house in poipu.....was pretty amazing....Waimea Canyon is incredible, the catamaran ride to the north shore was awesome....just a really laid back relaxing time....Sister in law just went to Maui....said compared to Kaui, they  would do Kaui every time.  Maui is great, but Kaui is way more relaxing.

Posted (edited)

In Kauai my favorite beach was Hideaway beach. Very steep access and you have to hold on to a rope. That was fun with an ice chest and lawn chairs.

We Valet parked at the St Regis so the walk was very short. Otherwise it would be long walk if you couldn't get one of the nine parking spaces. What is really cool about this beach is there are huge trees overhanging the sand within feet of the water and full shade. Another thing we did at the south end of the island was take a dog out from the humane society for the day. Cost nothing and my daughter who loves dogs had fun giving a dog the day out. You have to get there early because the dogs get snapped up quick. We did do an Airbnb at the north end in Princeville and it was beautiful. Take note on when you are going since the south end of the island is warmer. It was noticeable in September. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k1762876-North_Vs_South_Kauai-Kauai_Hawaii.html  

1. Poipu and Waimea on the South is by far your best bet for dry sunny days, as it averages around 35 inches of rain per year.
  2. Kapaa and Lihue on the eastern side of Kauai would be your second best choice with an average rainfall of 48 inches per year.
  3. The North Shore (including Princeville and Hanalei) is gorgeous and very lush for a reason, it gets around 85 inches of rain annually. Even though it does get more rain, the North Shore is actually one of my favorite places to stay on the island.

A steep path leads to Hideaways beach, Princeville's favorite little beach. The difficult to find path lies directly beside the tennis court of the Puu Poacondo complex. The stair case and path can be difficult to navigate for people with mobility problems. Hideaways beach offers good snorkeling during the summer months. There is also a surf break along the reef here but it's not suitable for beginner surfers. 

A small (9 car) public parking lot is located beside the path. Unfortunately when the parking lot is full there are no nearby alternatives. People are also utilizing the parking lot to visit Puu Poa beach, so the parking lot is always full. Also, the St. Regis hotel now only offers valet parking. The end result is that Hideaways is only a practical option for those staying within walking distance.

Hideaways beach is sometimes referred to as Pali Ke Kua beach (the beach next door accessed via the Pali Ke Kua condominiums). A rock outcropping separate the two - only during very low tides and no surf can one get from one to the other. The video below shows the path and beach..

Edited by onanysunday

Posted (edited)

One of my other favorite things we did along with zip lining was the https://www.journeyera.com/hoopii-falls-trail-kauai/   Nice mild hike and then you can jump into pools of water. It is common for locals to be there diving into the pool from the waterfall portion. We stuck with jumping shown in the first vid. Down further on the trail is a rope swing. Such a blast. The mountain on the north end of the island gets an incredible amount of rain.

Kauai is, of course, no stranger to rain. It is one of the rainiest places on Earth, with the 5,148-foot-tall Mount Waialeale receiving more than 400 inches of rain annually. Hanalei, where the 24-hour rainfall record was set, averages 78 inches per year.

Better and longer vid here. Once you jump in the pool you swim down a short ways to climb back up. I kept my sandals/water shoes on which helped climbing back up the rocks.

Edited by onanysunday

Hula Pie at Keokis!!! Once is not enough on a trip.

Hula Pie is made with Kimo's favorite macadamia nut ice cream piled high on a chocolate cookie crust and topped with chocolate fudge, whipped cream, and more macadamia nuts. It is sized for sharing, but rarely goes unfinished!

Hula-Pie-New-Sites.jpg

Don't forget the frozen Mai Tai's at the Hula Grill.....it's like desert with a cocktail...........good but scary....get a taxi...

7 minutes ago, realbadlarry said:

Don't forget the frozen Mai Tai's at the Hula Grill.....it's like desert with a cocktail...........good but scary....get a taxi...

You got the pulse of the island! All good info here GM!

Sorry...Keoki's....not Hula Grill...the other ones don't have the Ice Milk, so they taste different....I mean it's fun to go to Dukes, and hula grill and see how close they can come, but Keoki's is the original.  My Sis N law worked there for several years.....the plantation tour on the sxs is still fun....quads were more fun.

Was in Kauai once on a cruise without the family and the ex. Did the Nappali coast trip . The captain of the boat looked like  Chummin, like scary how much he looked like him. As we left the harbor on this little boat he said let me answe a lot of your questions right now. 

Yes the waves are always like this.

No I have never sank a boat.

No I have never lost anybody

Yes your going to get wet.

right about then he just sends this hard bottomed zodiac off a big wave that was just about to crest soaking everything on the boat.

cameras and stuff were in sea bags.

it was what seemed like an hour of our little boat going thru what looked like a scene from deadliest catch. 

Once we we got there it was well worth every penny to me some of the others people on the boat like my ex called it the boat ride from hell.

What we got from the locals on that trip was  you grow up on the big island, you move away from home to get a job on Oahu, relax on Maui and go camping on Kauai.

I used to live on Oahu, went to Kauai more than a few times. I think it is the most beautiful island, the most unspoiled. We went on a hike on the Na Pali coast and saw a really nice waterfall. It's fun if you have enough time.

I'm sure the island is more developed than I remember, but it is still largely unspoiled. You can take a helicopter tour that shows where they filmed Jurassic Park, the original landing pad is still there. The pilot takes you down into the canyon next to the waterfall, it's pretty spectacular! 

1 hour ago, MWB said:

Was in Kauai once on a cruise without the family and the ex. Did the Nappali coast trip . The captain of the boat looked like  Chummin, like scary how much he looked like him. As we left the harbor on this little boat he said let me answe a lot of your questions right now. 

Yes the waves are always like this.

No I have never sank a boat.

No I have never lost anybody

Yes your going to get wet.

right about then he just sends this hard bottomed zodiac off a big wave that was just about to crest soaking everything on the boat.

cameras and stuff were in sea bags.

it was what seemed like an hour of our little boat going thru what looked like a scene from deadliest catch. 

Once we we got there it was well worth every penny to me some of the others people on the boat like my ex called it the boat ride from hell.

What we got from the locals on that trip was  you grow up on the big island, you move away from home to get a job on Oahu, relax on Maui and go camping on Kauai.

This is funny. My brother in law told us not to take a boat ride from the south end up the Napali coast. We wanted to go from the north end but the road was closed from the big storms. Great excuse to go back. I would like to hike there. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kalalau-trail-kauai_n_57294fade4b096e9f08fad37