socaldmax

Something that rarely gets discussed...

Lately it seems there's been a lot of bellyaching about changes in appearance to the board. Hell, I'm an old fart and probably stuck in my ways, but I had no problem adapting to the board. I just click "Unread Content" at the upper right and I see all of the new posts. Pretty simple. The search function actually works great now, as opposed to a few yrs ago, so it's all been improvements as far as I can see.

The bellyaching invariably leads to some speculation about board traffic. Sure, people have left the sport, some only read and rarely post, some are on FB, IG, whatever else. That's fine, we all have our different things we like or don't like about social media.  The thing I'd really like to address is attitude. It's how some people are approaching things, it's how they're saying things.

Rather than complaining about how few posts, try and be a positive influence and start some threads yourself. There are a large number of members I appreciate for the number and quality of the threads they start. They're too numerous to list and I don't want to leave anyone out, but you can clearly see who starts threads and a lot of them turn into really informative, thoughtful discussions. I want to thank all of those guys for starting so many interesting topics!

I'd love to see more people participate, ask questions, share more info and by all means, post if you agree with someone said, you're not limited to only posting if you disagree!

This brings me to the major point: how some of us have been treating Slappy.

I'm not pointing fingers, because I haven't thanked Slappy enough over the yrs so I'm also guilty. Keep in mind, this is a not for profit website. It costs thousands of dollars per year to run it. Moderators don't get paid. Slappy spends thousands out of his own pocket to sponsor events like Vet's Weekend, the Golf Tourney, EPOs, upcoming concerts in the dunes -  why?

Because of his love for all of us. He loves duners and he loves Glamis Dunes. He wanted a campfire you could join via your computer and your phone to share stories, pics, plan upcoming trips, help each other decide what to buy, help each other fix our toys and even deliver stuff to each other for free. After 2,000 posts you're a member of the Brotherhood, but it begins long before that. Slappy has succeeded in sharing his love for all of us and the dunes via this website, so I'm asking everyone to please keep that in mind when you have a concern. Sure, you could bellyache, but how about phrasing it as a constructive comment? Let's treasure this great gift that has been bestowed upon us and nurture it, participate, be the change we want to see, feel free to post more threads, ask more questions, provide more answers, share more info. Keep on posting jokes, planning trips together and bench racing.

Someone said something about some of the older threads were hilarious. There's no reason current members couldn't be even more hilarious! First you have to think of each other as brothers, show a little respect and keep it funny!

In conclusion: no, nobody hacked my account. I was gently reminded by another great member just how much Slappy sacrifices to give us this great place. He never talks about it, he never complains. I just feel that we could start showing Slappy our gratitude with good deeds and good will. Pull on up to the fire and share with the rest of us! 

15 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

He wanted a campfire you could join via your computer and your phone to share stories, pics, plan upcoming trips, help each other decide what to buy, help each other fix our toys and even deliver stuff to each other for free.

Thanks Slappy.

social-networking-without-the-internet.jpg

Socaldmax,

I strongly second your statement and agree the work Slappy has put in here is underrated.  Having operated a BBS in the late 90's fully understand the work, costs involved and the fact that no matter how much money and time, there are always those not happy with what they have (for free!!).  I admit I don't post much, mostly because I am busy reading and learning as much as I can being new (2 yrs) to the sport.  Thanks Slappy!

TO SLAPPY!!        :drinkup:

I neglected to mention, the members ARE the content of the website. When we complain about it, we're pointing fingers at ourselves! When it comes to posting, it takes an equal amount of effort to be the positive change! 

do we need another 5 day drawn out nail biter?:fishing:

Thanks Slappy for all you do!

5 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

do we need another 5 day drawn out nail biter?:fishing:

Thanks Slappy for all you do!

We need something to get us through the summer!!

Great Thread Socaldmax, very to the point and sincere.

Members make GD what it is, Slappy keeps the light on for US ALL.

:crusty:

Thanks Slappy! Never met you and hopefully  that will change.

This site has educated me a lot on everything from camping, sad rails,  things to buy, etc

Really appreciate the hard work behind the scenes. 

Shit, from the thread title, I thought we were finally going to get around to discussing genital warts.

Oh, and Thanks Slappy!!! 

Well said Socaldmax.

This is always been a board for the members and about the members and Slappy provides the platform for them to come together. It is up to the members to create the atmosphere that keeps them coming back.

Well stated SoCal!  I’m not on quite as much as the old days, but I still try to pop my head in and check out latest posts and threads.  

This place is and always was much more than a bulletin board to me. I have met countless people on here that I consider lifelong friends.  I really enjoy helping out with the events, hope I get the chance and am able to help in future events.  Slap does alot for us, and Im happy to give a little something back.

Thanks for all you do Slappy McDuner!

22 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Shit, from the thread title, I thought we were finally going to get around to discussing genital warts.

Oh, and Thanks Slappy!!! 

I have an agreement with another member that I would let him start that thread, since he's the expert on that topic!

Right on Socal, that’s a bitchin post.  Cool Daze.  👍 I think the stickman will very much appreciate what you said sir. 

Thanks Slappy!  I feel more comfortable here than on other websites because of the interaction between members, the flexibility in using forum topics, the allowance of photos and video links (which aren't allowed on many websites), and the way the website is designed.

i love SLAPPY 

Well said Socaldmax.

SLAPPY........ It's a way of life.

Wish I knew what diet the stickman was on. :lol:

3 hours ago, socaldmax said:

In conclusion: no, nobody hacked my account. I was gently reminded by another great member just how much Slappy sacrifices to give us this great place. He never talks about it, he never complains. I just feel that we could start showing Slappy our gratitude with good deeds and good will. Pull on up to the fire and share with the rest of us! 

Socaldmax ...Its a first - But I agree with you 100% 

THANKS SLAPPY!

This is one of my favorite sites and I generally get to it at least once a day, if not more.  Usually read more than I post, but I'm constantly discussing with friends what I've read here.

Thanks SLAPPY!!!   :thumbup:

37 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

Well said Socaldmax.

SLAPPY........ It's a way of life.

Wish I knew what diet the stickman was on. :lol:

His diet consists of sand, and smoke  .........

Carry on Stickman  .........

The phrase "Thanks Slappy" has been posted on :gd:  310 times since 2001.

I agree that this thread is factual in nature and not purely opinion. There have been over  3,242,843 posts on this site    3,242,533 of which were specifically NOT "Thanks Slappy".

https://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?/search/&q="Thanks slappy"&type=forums_topic&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

The New Improved Search Function really does work much better...THANKS SLAPPY!

Well hot damn what a fantastic thread to read when Slap pops back into the neighborhood, It sure made Slap’s whole day SoCal,  that’s a downright Slapptactious thing to say. Thank you.  As a matter of fact, to make the day even better, Mrs. McDuner is NOT making dinner....YEEEHHAAAWWW.  

It’s an honor and pleasure to be part of this place and be part of this  family; and so thankful to slaps mods and admin‘s. They are some hard-working folks  and downright slap tacious people.    

And you know what, there  be some funny folks here in the hood,  there always has been.    Slap loves it when folks step up and let their creative mind take over.     The stranger the better...Well, not many go as deep as JD,  and WOW, Slaps been their...But let’s keep that between us. Anyways,  mother G is first and foremost, as well as each other,  and we gonna do just fine. 

i sure miss that GDF 

:thanks: Slappy  :rock:

I think this place be aight. :bigrin 

How close do they have to be to qualify as "genital"? Asking for a friend.