John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Fastest at the drags, Racing from a dig........

SoCalDmax says we need to have more traffic here.......................................;)

I know its been discussed before, but its summertime.  So who's the Fastest car at the sand drags?  sure I have heard the names but do you ever see them ever start from a dig?  if the answer is no, then I would not consider them the fastest at the sand drags.  They may have the top speed--I think that's different

Or do you consider a rolling start ok?

You wanna roll go to a bakery.

Many of the SxS's race from the dig, especially at Olds.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

You wanna roll go to a bakery.

+1, thank you.

I have thought about building my own version of a drag car, but would want to start from a dig.  Hey anyone can put super tall gears in and go 120+ until you hit a guy on quad, right?  It would be safer and more challenging from a dig and up to 100mph or so.

Many many years ago I had a challenge from Quirt to race buggies at the Yuma sand drags.  He never showed (does anyone want to tell the story)  anyways it was my first time there, inExcess was there.  It was a blast, I drove my sand buggy with zero modifications done to it for drag racing.  If I recall I did like 85mph in the 100 yard dash.  That sidewinder Hammer was there and a few alky V8's  if I recall they were like 115mph, that was like 15 years ago.  so my memory might be a little off

You guys remember the boys trips, mid January.  I made a few guys mad, that was in the early 2000-2002 years. I beat everyone except Aftershock in the turbo category.  I had methanol VW guys turning up their boost almost until their motors blew and they still couldn't beat me.  I was relatively unknown at the time.  Come on guys tell me what you recall.

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

I think they still go from the dig down in Gordon's. 

There is a difference between quick and fast. Quick crosses the line first. Most drag guys would rather cross the line at a lower et than a higher speed. 

Also it takes more skill in both the garage and the track to be fast from a dig. 

I think all the Larry Minor guys would be okay going from a dig...…...

Do ya'll think we could get the Rangers to keep the starting line groomed?

All we used to do bit that down South and they still do it like that there. Not enough room for 3rd gear starts. I like it. Glamis isnt racing just going fast no rime or reason every weekend.

49 minutes ago, 1newbie said:

I think all the Larry Minor guys would be okay going from a dig...…...

Until they hit the rollers down the center of the drags...

Posted (edited)

I thought it was Paul Tracy.  

Edited by Phoenix7

Fastest? But what a fun ride done from a dig. I don't drag race my car but last season rode to the drags in a friend 2 seat mid engine. Rolled up to a stop, took the motor just under limiter, off the clutch and through three.  What a ride. 

13 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

I thought it was Paul Tracy.  

oh snap SANDPSYCHO's  friend 

Gordens drags are fun as hell. Missed shifts, late start, front end lift, wheel spin, etc (all the typical problems in real drag racing) were a factor whether you won or not, not cubic dollars.

The weekend of the Old School Roundup the men lined up and started from a dig. It was by far the best sand drags I've seen since a green SU and a 3 rotor Mazda would show us what fast was.

I'd love to see drags done this way......it would be cool to do it one weekend, 2 people line up, one person stands in the middle of them and does the ol school hand drop start. I'd like to try it......but I'm not sure if it would break something........I'd still try it tho..

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

The weekend of the Old School Roundup the men lined up and started from a dig. It was by far the best sand drags I've seen since a green SU and a 3 rotor Mazda would show us what fast was.

you talking ralph and my 3.0 Subaru with the wheelie bar?  we started from a dead stop,  that was fun!

1 minute ago, The looney duner said:

I'd love to see drags done this way......it would be cool to do it one weekend, 2 people line up, one person stands in the middle of them and does the ol school hand drop start. I'd like to try it......but I'm not sure if it would break something........I'd still try it tho..

that's the point, either build the drivetrain to take the heat or learn how to start within your means!  has anyone seen Paul Tracy start from a dead stop?  it appears in the video it was all "drive bye's"

During old school round up, I ran against a couple Larry minor jeeps, some big inch Whippled cars, and some new big dollar buckshots. 

No rolling starts. Subi v8 bait either hurting feelings or earning respect 

Posted (edited)

Top speed is so 2017.....the roll is what everyone is doing its second gear at 20 to 30 mph... If we wanted to go from a dig we would build dragsters and get there in 3 or 4 seconds..... The transmission, clutches, axels and cv can no longer handle the power.... We're not dealing with 700-1000 hp anymore its upwards of low 2000s But what do I know... My new engine is shooting for 2200 to 2400 hp depending on boost levels the engine and computer system is almost 6 figures.... Preety retarded but it's an addiction.... Do I need that much hell no but it's like a gun I would rather have it and not need it then not have it... 

Edited by Supreme Air

I'd love to see the real drag cars come back.  To me...watching guys doing wheelies down the drags is boring.  I hardly even go to the drags anymore.  It's all the same.  I miss watching Aftershock or the blown jeeps line up.  Hell...even the 3L Pauter motors on alcohol with 1" chromo frames from a dig were badass!  

They do make trannys that will take 2400HP.... drag guys do it all the time with 2 speeds.  How about the top fuel guys with 10K HP!  It can be done....probably wouldn't be much of a dune machine, but sure would be fun to watch down the drags.  Hell...a 2500 HP sand car probably wouldn't be much fun in the dunes either! LOL :rbj: 

~jw

The legend of Blue Thunder 

Anyone remember when they had the tree out in front of Gecko loop before the rangers shut it down and everyone moved over to the flats near the ranger station?  Those were much better days...

12 hours ago, jtmoney714 said:

Also it takes more skill in both the garage and the track to be fast from a dig. 

And more money.

From the dig is hard on stuff.