John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Fastest at the drags, Racing from a dig........

6 hours ago, Supreme Air said:

Top speed is so 2017.....the roll is what everyone is doing its second gear at 20 to 30 mph... If we wanted to go from a dig we would build dragsters and get there in 3 or 4 seconds..... The transmission, clutches, axels and cv can no longer handle the power.... We're not dealing with 700-1000 hp anymore its upwards of low 2000s But what do I know... My new engine is shooting for 2200 to 2400 hp depending on boost levels the engine and computer system is almost 6 figures.... Preety retarded but it's an addiction.... Do I need that much hell no but it's like a gun I would rather have it and not need it then not have it... 

cant wait to see that thing Go,  in comparison, how much HP does your current car have?  are you upping it like 400 hp?  I know the tranny, cv etc cant handle the new power levels if you just drop the clutch but that's where the driver needs to be reserved on take off.  What could add more stress/fun to have to hold back a tad during takeoff---I would think that would add a dimension of skill not normally displayed.

9 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

you talking ralph and my 3.0 Subaru with the wheelie bar?  we started from a dead stop,  that was fun!

Yes I am.

You are talking about something that is purpose built.  Cant have both.  He who has the biggest  check book usually wins.  Building a big HP motor is one thing.  Buying a dune-able trans is another.  What transmission and supporting hardware do you know of that can take the abuse of 2600hp and then go out for a rip in the dunes after.  Most I can think of have a price tag of an X3.  I don't think Albins and Fortin have "affordable financing"

13 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

You are talking about something that is purpose built.  Cant have both.  He who has the biggest  check book usually wins.  Building a big HP motor is one thing.  Buying a dune-able trans is another.  What transmission and supporting hardware do you know of that can take the abuse of 2600hp and then go out for a rip in the dunes after.  Most I can think of have a price tag of an X3.  I don't think Albins and Fortin have "affordable financing"

I like breaking rules. ;)    But to ask the question has there ever been an upset of this rule^^^^ with all the races that have occurred in the past?  or does the rule always hold true?

12 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I like breaking rules. ;)    But to ask the question has there ever been an upset of this rule^^^^ with all the races that have occurred in the past?  or does the rule always hold true?

Well there is some guy in a Subaru that always seems to win the EPO races.:bow:

44 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

Not disagreeing with you but those high horsepower cars don't go in the dunes. Most never go farther in then sand highway. 

2 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Not disagreeing with you but those high horsepower cars don't go in the dunes. Most never go farther in then sand highway. 

Exactly. I once camped with a guy at Gordons whose trips consisted entirely of the drags and if he was feeling frisky maybe Test on Saturday night.

13 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I have been behind Blackzilla in the dunes.  I have seen both Ponts funco's at the flagpole and the swing set.  I think we can all agree they are the king's of the drags as they are run today.  

I can't for the life of me see the reason to build a "From a Dig" machine for the dunes unless that what gets your rocks off.

43 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Of course not.  Even more so when you think of a green funco.  I saw you a few times ripping through the dunes and I could tell you were having a blast and seemed to be in a hurry to get to that next beer stop lol!  

Can you tell me how you would get the power needed to the ground if not putting in a $$$$$ Albins or Fortin?  Plenty of online blue prints to build 2000hp motors, but again how many can survive the dunes and the repeated abuse without making a pit stop after every 30 second ride.

Love summer threads.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

I have been behind Blackzilla in the dunes.  I have seen both Ponts funco's at the flagpole and the swing set.  I think we can all agree they are the king's of the drags as they are run today.  

I can't for the life of me see the reason to build a "From a Dig" machine for the dunes unless that what gets your rocks off.

Of course not.  Even more so when you think of a green funco.  I saw you a few times ripping through the dunes and I could tell you were having a blast and seemed to be in a hurry to get to that next beer stop lol!  

Can you tell me how you would get the power needed to the ground if not putting in a $$$$$ Albins or Fortin?  Plenty of online blue prints to build 2000hp motors, but again how many can survive the dunes and the repeated abuse without making a pit stop after every 30 second ride.

Love summer threads.

Hmmmmmmmm! Unlikely.....................................

Edited by ahipara 55

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

I can't see just building a machine for top speed at the dunes. It's the fukkin dunes. 1st qualification should be that it dunes like no other, them go to the drags and see what it can do. 

We all have built a " from a dig" machine, it's called a regular sandcar.

Edit to add. Dropping the clutch and grenading my 2D is just as financially hurtfully as someone who makes 10x what I do with an albins. 

I also see plenty of high dollar cars in Dubai making pass after pass with the same shit we have out here

Edited by Legit Duner

48 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Well there is some guy in a Subaru that always seems to win the EPO races.:bow:

and that car has under 6 figures in that car. but 100 million hours of my time  haha

14 hours ago, Richard H said:

Fastest? But what a fun ride done from a dig. I don't drag race my car but last season rode to the drags in a friend 2 seat mid engine. Rolled up to a stop, took the motor just under limiter, off the clutch and through three.  What a ride. 

That's how I launch mine.  Its a lot of fun.

I like from a dig myself. The rolling starts just aren’t as fun, plus my car only has 2 speeds. 😬

It could happen

From a dig doesn’t mean you have to dump the clutch and  put it to the floor. Back in the old street racing days, it was about mamaging the power to the ground, usually the guy that could keep from smoking the tires could win the race. Same concept applies here. I have raced from a dig with my 2d and never hurt it. Same with my old v8 091 beam car racing from a set of starting lights. The 091 was line glass compared to the 2d and I did break more than a  few of those. Anytime you want to start from a dig John, I’m in. I don’t know when  salt flat racing got so popular at the dunes. It really isn’t a drag race, it who can turn the biggest overall mph number. 

15 minutes ago, 1tonfun said:

From a dig doesn’t mean you have to dump the clutch and  put it to the floor. Back in the old street racing days, it was about managing the power to the ground, usually the guy that could keep from smoking the tires could win the race. Same concept applies here. I have raced from a dig with my 2d and never hurt it. Same with my old v8 091 beam car racing from a set of starting lights. The 091 was line glass compared to the 2d and I did break more than a  few of those. Anytime you want to start from a dig John, I’m in. I don’t know when  salt flat racing got so popular at the dunes. It really isn’t a drag race, it who can turn the biggest overall mph number. 

I like this post ^^^, why not all start from a dig and guys like Pont, Tracy and SA just have to throttle it a little less until they are at 20mph, right?  lets face it that only takes less than a second. then mash it.   Honestly I think there is a little more to it then just starting from a roll at 20mph.

a car at rest and then accelerating to and past 20mph will be loaded in a different way then a car that is cruising and stabilized at 20mph.  this then requires a lot more from the driver.  I know when I raced Ralph with his triple rotor it would always be who got the better start.  he could never win if he bobbled just for a moment.  

how much more fun would it be to line up at the normal drags and simply wait a second for the track to clear.  I know when I did that before it was so exhilarating, the crowd would respect the race and it all calmed down.  we looked at each other and took off.  There were times I was sitting there for minuets waiting---what a rush.

Ill race anyone with my Funco from a dig, I don't care if im not the fastest, but I will show you that I stayed in a Holiday Inn the night before, LOL

I like drag racing. Prefer the dig over a roll. But I’ll do both. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. 

I don’t expect much with my little LS motor that’s NA on pump gas. But it’s all fun. 

Mother “G” has given us a great playground and I enjoy it all. 

It takes a lot more skill to race from a dig than it does from a rolling start. There, I said it. That is not to say that racing a high hp car from a roll is easy, just that there is a lot more needed out of a driver to control a car from a dig to win a race. As for the excuses of I have too much power to race from a dig, that isn't even possible. You are in control of how much power you put to the ground. Your car will never handle an instantaneous 2000hp dump even if your trans and cvs could hold it. You would have to feather in the power till you get rolling before you think about dropping the hammer. Testing driver skills is where it's at for me. On a side note, most of the big hp sand cars you see at the drags don't dune. The car isn't built for it and a lot of the drivers aren't into it. They like straight and fast.

31 minutes ago, big_daddy_jp said:

It takes a lot more skill to race from a dig than it does from a rolling start. There, I said it. That is not to say that racing a high hp car from a roll is easy, just that there is a lot more needed out of a driver to control a car from a dig to win a race. As for the excuses of I have too much power to race from a dig, that isn't even possible. You are in control of how much power you put to the ground. Your car will never handle an instantaneous 2000hp dump even if your trans and cvs could hold it. You would have to feather in the power till you get rolling before you think about dropping the hammer. Testing driver skills is where it's at for me. On a side note, most of the big hp sand cars you see at the drags don't dune. The car isn't built for it and a lot of the drivers aren't into it. They like straight and fast.

I don't know why everybody thinks that they don't dune I count two or three cars in this video  with 1800 - 2000 hp it looks like they're going left and right.. 🤔

7 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I like this post ^^^, why not all start from a dig and guys like Pont, Tracy and SA just have to throttle it a little less until they are at 20mph, right?  lets face it that only takes less than a second. then mash it.   Honestly I think there is a little more to it then just starting from a roll at 20mph.

a car at rest and then accelerating to and past 20mph will be loaded in a different way then a car that is cruising and stabilized at 20mph.  this then requires a lot more from the driver.  I know when I raced Ralph with his triple rotor it would always be who got the better start.  he could never win if he bobbled just for a moment.  

how much more fun would it be to line up at the normal drags and simply wait a second for the track to clear.  I know when I did that before it was so exhilarating, the crowd would respect the race and it all calmed down.  we looked at each other and took off.  There were times I was sitting there for minuets waiting---what a rush.

We did that a couple times this year John we sat there and waited for each other at the start line and barely rolled..... Into it... 

Sorry SA I wish I could watch the video but for some reason my iPad won't let me. I understand what your saying but my point is most people don't. At least the ones I know. The cars are heavy and heat up. I do think it's more that they don't like doing it too! Even though I can't see it, if you have some video of the races you guys did from a dig you should post them. I'm sure everyone would love to see them!