ahipara 55

California Commercial Vehicle Registrations

This strikes a nerve, especially on Independence Day. I had 3 trucks all over 60k# gvwr. I was able to get them under a "heavy crane phase in" program through carb (pita to get them in). I added 2 new trucks at a cost of about 1mil (5 total now) and then early this year the program was abolished overnight due to an unrelated (to this program) lawsuit some gravel company won against carb. Now last week they found another home for the program but I received a letter yesterday wanting me to re-apply and it was no easy feat in the first place. I based my business plan, hired additional employees and took on major (for me) debt under the prior approval but knowing it can be taken away now at a moments notice is unnerving. It would cost me another 1.5 mil to update equipment and stay the sam size and the price point we work at simply wont allow one more piece of equipment let alone 3. If I had known how un secure the program was I would have never taken on debt and took my paid off equipment out of state 3 years ago and saved about 100k in sales tax / registration fees. If this program is no longer an option for me I'm cooked, corporation gone and on heavy equipment you sign a personal guarantee so there is that. Happy 4th fellow duners :thumbup:

21 minutes ago, big_daddy_jp said:

As of now this only applies to businesses. It's calculated by hp/fleet. So small businesses have a lot less equipment to update per year than big businesses. My family owned 30 water trucks, two low bed tractors, a lube truck, 3 service trucks, and a stakebed f550. They now have taken half the water trucks out of service to drop the hp rating, sold both low bed tractors and bought one that complies, sold all three service trucks and built a compliant one, selling the stake bed, and sold the lube truck. They have updated 5 water trucks with new tier compliant motors at the tune of $50k per truck after parts and labor all done in house. This sucks bad but look at it this way. If everyone else bails out you are the only company left. Money will come easy when that happens. Side note: F@@K California!

I get it. We will still be around after buying new (or newer) trucks. Unfortunately, it's coming at a time when the entire commercial construction industry is expecting a slow down, as in next year.

I have upgraded one of the trucks a couple years ago but also refitted one of the older F-450's with entirely new drive train. THEN I got the notice of non-renewal for 2020.

I want to buy at least one older F-350 with 7.3 motor that I can do a swap from the re-fitted F-450's. My guys are brutal on vehicles so don't really want a fleet of $70k trucks.

I'm not sure the state is NOT going to attack these smaller trucks next so a bit unsure of what to do.

23 minutes ago, raspadoo said:

This strikes a nerve, especially on Independence Day. I had 3 trucks all over 60k# gvwr. I was able to get them under a "heavy crane phase in" program through carb (pita to get them in). I added 2 new trucks at a cost of about 1mil (5 total now) and then early this year the program was abolished overnight due to an unrelated (to this program) lawsuit some gravel company won against carb. Now last week they found another home for the program but I received a letter yesterday wanting me to re-apply and it was no easy feat in the first place. I based my business plan, hired additional employees and took on major (for me) debt under the prior approval but knowing it can be taken away now at a moments notice is unnerving. It would cost me another 1.5 mil to update equipment and stay the sam size and the price point we work at simply wont allow one more piece of equipment let alone 3. If I had known how un secure the program was I would have never taken on debt and took my paid off equipment out of state 3 years ago and saved about 100k in sales tax / registration fees. If this program is no longer an option for me I'm cooked, corporation gone and on heavy equipment you sign a personal guarantee so there is that. Happy 4th fellow duners :thumbup:

I have considered registering 2 trucks in Idaho but I'm not sure how that will play out.

I'ts getting tougher every year.

Don't even get me started on recently relocating my shop and how scarce General Industrial property is to find now. Seems like all cities want huge distribution centers and small manufacturing companies can just leave.

9 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

I get it. We will still be around after buying new (or newer) trucks. Unfortunately, it's coming at a time when the entire commercial construction industry is expecting a slow down, as in next year.

I have upgraded one of the trucks a couple years ago but also refitted one of the older F-450's with entirely new drive train. THEN I got the notice of non-renewal for 2020.

I want to buy at least one older F-350 with 7.3 motor that I can do a swap from the re-fitted F-450's. My guys are brutal on vehicles so don't really want a fleet of $70k trucks.

I'm not sure the state is NOT going to attack these smaller trucks next so a bit unsure of what to do.

It's a moving target so its impossible to know what to do. I do know this, I've actually recently had construction management companies (public works (bonds)) reach out to me as they are being required to have tier 4 equipment on their jobsite. I have 2 compliant pieces of equipment so I could do the work but between that and DIR paperwork I decided to refuse working for any public works jobs, more out of principle than anything else. 

6 minutes ago, raspadoo said:

It's a moving target so its impossible to know what to do. I do know this, I've actually recently had construction management companies (public works (bonds)) reach out to me as they are being required to have tier 4 equipment on their jobsite. I have 2 compliant pieces of equipment so I could do the work but between that and DIR paperwork I decided to refuse working for any public works jobs, more out of principle than anything else. 

I feel the same way for now, but you never know what tomorrow will bring. I always seem to be prepared for the worst.

I won't be happy if we have to go back to Public/Military work but will if I have to. Getting close to being done myself but will be selling the business to one of my employees and would like to see the business carry on (and get paid).

1 hour ago, big_daddy_jp said:

As of now this only applies to businesses. It's calculated by hp/fleet. So small businesses have a lot less equipment to update per year than big businesses. My family owned 30 water trucks, two low bed tractors, a lube truck, 3 service trucks, and a stakebed f550. They now have taken half the water trucks out of service to drop the hp rating, sold both low bed tractors and bought one that complies, sold all three service trucks and built a compliant one, selling the stake bed, and sold the lube truck. They have updated 5 water trucks with new tier compliant motors at the tune of $50k per truck after parts and labor all done in house. This sucks bad but look at it this way. If everyone else bails out you are the only company left. Money will come easy when that happens. Side note: F@@K California!

Marlins? 

29 minutes ago, raspadoo said:

Oh man don’t even get me started on the DIR... that’s only getting worse also. 

Posted (edited)

The part that is pissing me off is the 20% bump in registration fees while this is all going on. What next?

After all, Newsome is such a stand up guy..................

Stay the eff* out of my pockets you slimey political pricks!!!!

Edited by ahipara 55

1 hour ago, ahipara 55 said:

I have one that will be for sale shortly.

Yes Bones Im talking about Marlins.

1 hour ago, B0NES said:

Marlins? 

How do you know them?

Maybe I'll build one of these and do burn outs in front of the State Capitol building.

2 hours ago, big_daddy_jp said:

How do you know them?

I work in the dirt. Pollock. I used to drive my dads military Watertruck as a kid. Keep your thumbs out. 

Worked in the operators local 12 when I turned 18. I’ve worked around marlins for a long time. 

I haven’t seen marlins around much anymore tho. You still have the yard over by In-N-Out?

Been dealing with this for years now. It’s a major pain. Having to get rid of equipment that needs fuel and oil changes to buy something that can’t hardly pass the shop. 

We qualify under the ag exemption carb offers but the Lawson suit (gravel company) affected the Ag too. We used to get more miles now it’s only 10k/year. 

Lawson sued carb for all of the non compliant owner operators bidding the jobs at a much lower rate because Lawson was a large fleet and forced early on to buy all new trucks because of their size. Meanwhile the guy who owns one truck falls into an exemption because he’s got a small business instead of 50-75 trucks. 

Simply ridiculous the nonsense that goes on. 

6 hours ago, B0NES said:

I work in the dirt. Pollock. I used to drive my dads military Watertruck as a kid. Keep your thumbs out. 

Worked in the operators local 12 when I turned 18. I’ve worked around marlins for a long time. 

I haven’t seen marlins around much anymore tho. You still have the yard over by In-N-Out?

Yes the yard is still across from DCB. I ran the lube truck and our big service truck for 14 years. I stopped working there like 10 years ago. I left the construction business and ended up in HVAC. Couldn't be happier!

the for f-450 and f-550 got screwed pretty bad due to gvw, but they don't say anything about f-350.   i low mileage my kenworth t-800 but i'm on borrowed time.  btw carb has credits where they will give you a voucher for you to buy a new truck. (maybe 25k voucher if you buy a new ford) and sell ur f-450 out of state.

Hence this thread of mine. We're a small company being forced into buying a $80,000 truck. Any recommendations for selling our existing?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SY said:

Hence this thread of mine. We're a small company being forced into buying a $80,000 truck. Any recommendations for selling our existing?

Sell it to Mexico so they can cross the border with it everyday to use it for California work!! 

Everytime I see a "Smoky" truck on the I-5 they seem to always have the same lic. plates. 

Edited by Legit Duner