Jump to content
Stugots

Are you prepared?

Recommended Posts

So with all the shaking going  may need to revisit my supplies.

I still have 5 cases of MRE's that are probably overdue to be replaced, close to a a 100 gallon s of water, various first-aid, flashlights, batteries, and of course plenty of Guns and ammo.

All this activity is making me check my supplies and stock up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RV parked next to the house, always full of fuel, full of water, cupboards full of canned food.  I wouldn't know anything about guns and ammo though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

RV parked next to the house, always full of fuel, full of water, cupboards full of canned food.  I wouldn't know anything about guns and ammo though...

X2. Use the motorhome as a storage pantry and rotate food through it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got some stuff that I could use to take stuff from the people who have stuff....so ya, I'm ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ps. I saw that twilight zone......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

RV parked next to the house, always full of fuel, full of water, cupboards full of canned food.  I wouldn't know anything about guns and ammo though...

It's best not to worry about all the guns and ammo.  I used to hang out on a website where that's all everyone thought about 24/7, but what it really gets down to for survival is food and water and locating yourself in the right place.  I'm not an educated preper.  I'm just giving you my gut feeling that it's OK to not worry about guns and ammo.

 

Edited by Phoenix7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

24' dedicated enclosed and RV always ready

Edited by Legit Duner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2 refrigerators, a freezer, 3 generators, gas, 2 trailers, about 4 months worth of freeze dried food,  full pantry of canned goods, 500 gals of water, 3 water purification systems, enough propane, butane and denatured alcohol to fuel all of my various camping stoves and enough stuffed animals to outlast any group that thinks they can take what I have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

I have 2 refrigerators, a freezer, 3 generators, gas, 2 trailers, about 4 months worth of freeze dried food,  full pantry of canned goods, 500 gals of water, 3 water purification systems, enough propane, butane and denatured alcohol to fuel all of my various camping stoves and enough stuffed animals to outlast any group that thinks they can take what I have. 

Address?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the US Govt which will immediately tend to my needs and comfort. God bless the ol' USofA! ( or so I think/hope) lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you know that grocery stores have at most a 3 day supply of products.....factor in looting and the food will be gone in a few hours....I was in Texas after the hurricane...no power, no stores, no fast food....It got scary.....people go nuts....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

It's best not to worry about all the guns and ammo.  I used to hang out on a website where that's all everyone thought about 24/7, but what it really gets down to for survival is food and water and locating yourself in the right place.  I'm not an educated preper.  I'm just giving you my gut feeling that it's OK to not worry about guns and ammo.

 

It's just as important as food or first aid. People will want what you have. The longer the disaster is, the more you will need a weapon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the motorhome. It’s not parked at our house but it’s pretty close. Always full of water and stocked with food. Not a whole lot but enough. 

My biggest concern is getting my family out of the house. I’ve got a wife and 4 kids ranging from 14 to 2. I would hope that my wife would help and maybe my 14 year old son but reality is I’ve got to get them all out the house myself. When a big one hits, the last place I want to be is in my house. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

Address?

N33.636548, W117.943366.

If the SHTF, come on over!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can never be prepared.  All my stuff is in my RV which is parked at home but what if the big one hits when out running errands and freeway / roads collapse? 

I try to think that we will be ok if we are home.   I'm s!@# out of luck if not home and can't protect my family. 

 

I know which neighbors to gather up and make a group to protect our family and homes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

We have the motorhome. It’s not parked at our house but it’s pretty close. Always full of water and stocked with food. Not a whole lot but enough. 

My biggest concern is getting my family out of the house. I’ve got a wife and 4 kids ranging from 14 to 2. I would hope that my wife would help and maybe my 14 year old son but reality is I’ve got to get them all out the house myself. When a big one hits, the last place I want to be is in my house. 

You should do family preparedness drills. Wake them all up at 230am and get the wife and 14 yr old used to automatically getting everyone into the moho.

Depending on the emergency, you might be interested in a go bag for anyone who can carry one. I have one I put together based on some very wise info from a former member of a SOG. It includes shelter, a sleep system, smokeless cooking system, water purification, about 5 days worth of food, hand crank radio, headlamp, knife, medical supplies to provide first aid for GSW, severed limbs, major bleeding, pain etc. This is all in a backpack that looks like any regular pack but weighs less than 20 lbs. That includes 2 qts of water.

If you really want to be prepared, you have to consider all possibilities. Nuclear, chemical, biological warfare, (both accidental and from foreign enemies), natural disasters, race riots, civil unrest, etc. Depending on what it is, it might be better to shelter in place or flee. Contingency planning changes for each scenario.  If a nuclear reactor explodes (entirely possible as provne by 3 mile island and Chernobyl) you don't want to be rushing out into the radiation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, realbadlarry said:

Did you know that grocery stores have at most a 3 day supply of products.....factor in looting and the food will be gone in a few hours....I was in Texas after the hurricane...no power, no stores, no fast food....It got scary.....people go nuts....

Yes that is true.  That's what makes me worry living in an area that would be unsurviveable in the summer.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sinverguenza said:

You can never be prepared.  All my stuff is in my RV which is parked at home but what if the big one hits when out running errands and freeway / roads collapse? 

I try to think that we will be ok if we are home.   I'm s!@# out of luck if not home and can't protect my family. 

 

I know which neighbors to gather up and make a group to protect our family and homes. 

You think about all of the possible scenarios and plan for all of them.

I have a go bag in the car that can help me travel up to 5 days to get home if all of the fwys are closed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

You should do family preparedness drills. Wake them all up at 230am and get the wife and 14 yr old used to automatically getting everyone into the moho.

Depending on the emergency, you might be interested in a go bag for anyone who can carry one. I have one I put together based on some very wise info from a former member of a SOG. It includes shelter, a sleep system, smokeless cooking system, water purification, about 5 days worth of food, hand crank radio, headlamp, knife, medical supplies to provide first aid for GSW, severed limbs, major bleeding, pain etc. This is all in a backpack that looks like any regular pack but weighs less than 20 lbs. That includes 2 qts of water.

If you really want to be prepared, you have to consider all possibilities. Nuclear, chemical, biological warfare, (both accidental and from foreign enemies), natural disasters, race riots, civil unrest, etc. Depending on what it is, it might be better to shelter in place or flee. Contingency planning changes for each scenario.  If a nuclear reactor explodes (entirely possible as provne by 3 mile island and Chernobyl) you don't want to be rushing out into the radiation.

They know the plan. It’s the execution of said plan. I wake my wife and 2 year old at 3am without an actual emergency, I will be sleeping alone in the motorhome! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

They know the plan. It’s the execution of said plan. I wake my wife and 2 year old at 3am without an actual emergency, I will be sleeping alone in the motorhome! 

 

 

OK. Just trying to help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm formally trained to survive...

I have "stuff" but I also know how to live off the land.  I also have no moral compass so if you have what I need, you won't feel a thing and thank you for your donation.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to make a few bags. I have some items in each vehicle but I want to bag it up so I can leave the vehicle and be ok. What do you guys Cary in your bug out bags?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Legit Duner said:

It's just as important as food or first aid. People will want what you have. The longer the disaster is, the more you will need a weapon.

Last night my comment about guns and ammo wasn't correct.  I was drinking and not analyzing everything before I wrote all comments.  I agree with you that guns and ammo are essential, but what I was trying to convey is that some people think about them too much, and not enough about the other aspects of survival.

Plus, this morning it looks like L.R.S, the person who I was trying to help, may have been joking about not knowing about guns and ammo, so haha, the joke was on me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

RV parked next to the house, always full of fuel, full of water, cupboards full of canned food.  I wouldn't know anything about guns and ammo though...

It's a really good magazine....you should check it out!

:lmao: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, punkur67 said:

I want to make a few bags. I have some items in each vehicle but I want to bag it up so I can leave the vehicle and be ok. What do you guys Cary in your bug out bags?

I use a lightweight backpack, just a plain black one, no reflective parts.

1. A large cap. butane lighter. Storm proof matches, a ferro rod and easy to use tinder, like cotton balls and dryer lint.

2. First aid kit including sutures, blood clotting powder, large  battle wound bandages, pain killers, regular bandages, Neosporin, tourniquet, etc to make splints.

3. An ultra lightweight camo tent that fits 2, a thick insulated floor, inflatable sleeping pad, ultra lightweight sleeping bag and Marine poncho liner for extra warmth if needed.

4. A titanium alcohol stove with rack. 16 oz of denatured alcohol. Titanium pot, titanium knife, fork and spoon. Thin cutting/prep board.

5. Extremely sharp camping knife.   

6. Handheld GPS, rechargeable headlamp, hand crank radio that can charge other USB devices, hand crank flashlight and 10AH battery pack.

7. Mountain House freeze dried entrees. Three packages, 2 servings each. SOS emergency rations that are rated at 1200 cal/day for 5 days, I figure more like 2,000 cal/day for 3 days.

8. Water collection bag, water purification filter, 2 qts clean water bottles.

9. Enough firepower to keep what's mine or take what I need from those less prepared.

10. Large yard trash bag for use as a raincoat/pack cover.

This all weighs just under 20 lbs. When I originally put it together, it weighed about 32 lbs, but by replacing heavier items with ultra lightweight versions, I trimmed it down. I've camped with a 60 lb pack before (10 mi into the Havasupai reservation) and that was ridiculous. 32 lb is manageable, but 20 lbs is almost not even there, I can run short distances with that.

Edited by socaldmax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...