Stugots

Are you prepared?

So we have touched on all the supplies, plans and what nots  but,  what about your physical condition?  If you are out of shape and get out of breath easily you won't be " bugging out" very far.

Also,,, love  the I have guns  to take what I need ideas, that will most likely not go as planned and get you killed pretty quick. As Mike Tyson says " Everybody has a plan until you get punched in the face"  Let's be realistic unless you are in the boons there will be millons of people trying to survive and evacuated to someplace.  The way the highway systems are set up you most likely won't be going anywhere. 

We also have to take into consideration that we have family and love ones to deal with,,, my wife is a "panicer" and it does not take much to freak her out so, I would need to deal with that 😂.  

Unless it is TEOTWAWKI situation I will sit tight defend mine and live off what I can and yes unfortunately wait on the Government to restore some kind of normalcy.

Plan B, hang out with the homeless they seem to survive just fine.

Well, if you're stuck away from home and other people have guns, you might as well have one too. Even if you don't win the gun battle, at least you gave it a shot!

I am fully prepared to "Get home safe" if I have to leave my vehicle behind.

Being in Tucson, I'm not as concerned as most of you are about the immediate effects of a major California E.Q., but we're not immune to the long term effects nor are we immune to a natural disaster here.

I have a plan. I'll be at work. My wife and kids can protect themselves. They're capable (that was part of a long term plan that began 36 years ago and is still in effect today).

At work I protect infrastructure and the people who make sure the infrastructure is running. I'll be there for them. None of the people I work with will "bug out". I'll also reach out to Davis Monthan AFB and other local military who are deployed and can't be here to protect their family. I won't be hiding or hoarding. You're plan may be different depending on your family and work situation, and that's ok with me.

I have stuff. You need it? Just ask. Don't try to take it by force. If you do, you won't be needing it any longer. I effin' hate thieves and a piddly ass natural disaster is no excuse, in my book, to start acting like an azzhole. Continue being normal. Help and protect people until they show you they don't deserve it.

There's not a whole lot that will cause widespread panic and chaos.  Like you said, let the "unprepared" try and flee, after that chaos dies down, then I'll make my move.  Not like any of us will have an easy escape pulling a trailer or RV.

For those that are asking the questions.  You need water to live.  Period.  Figure that out.  A lifestraw or like product will get you far.  Fire. A good knife...simple tools.  rope, string, stuff like that.  Dried foods.  First aid/medications.  Clothes, shelter, bedding.  These are just some of the things to think about.  For a lot of you, read books on surviving in the wild.  Sounds stupid but...get books with pictures.  These will show you "how to".  I have taught my oldest daughter how to survive.  That girl can leave life for a week, live off the land and survive just fine.  The girl is an extreme backpacker.  I'd challenge any of you to be able to keep up with her...including myself.  She's sick in the head.  She lives for the shittier, the better style camping.  She goes out every year in the winter and disappears for a week or so by herself or with her little sister.  Her last trip was up at Crater Lake last year.  She did 50 plus miles in the snow and ice.  She's about 100# soaking wet and carries a 65# pack.  Beast mode for sure.

I have neighbors all around that are very well prepared - they are granola types... I have guns and training, seems I like I have everything they "had" . 

All kidding aside, I miss my Moho for the reasons stated above, I used to keep it stocked in the garage.  lots of Water,  bleach (to make more water) fuel, food, clothes, lights, etc. I have portable solar panels to keep things charged if needed. First aid is also important and 60 day supply of any critical medicine.

When I worked 60 miles from home, I stored a small 250 dual sport with 5 extra gallons of gas on the rack, a duffle, 6 bottles of water, some energy bars, and some "personal protection". Kept it at the office - stabil in the gas and charger on the battery, tires were filled with stop leak, just in case. I figured if the freeway overpasses collapsed it was the best way to get back to family. I also had a 5 watt handheld rugged radio, i figured if all the electric was off, range would be pretty good.

I would do that again, just made me feel better being away from home. When I flew, always worried about the family in case of a Quake...

2 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

Last night my comment about guns and ammo wasn't correct.  I was drinking and not analyzing everything before I wrote all comments.  I agree with you that guns and ammo are essential, but what I was trying to convey is that some people think about them too much, and not enough about the other aspects of survival.

Plus, this morning it looks like L.R.S, the person who I was trying to help, may have been joking about not knowing about guns and ammo, so haha, the joke was on me :)

Gee, that NEVER happens on this site................................

Some people over react to situations too. 

When we had that big power outage in southern California about 8 years ago I went to 7-11 to grab ice to keep the food cool at home. There were morons walking in and out of the store with pistols on their hip (in California) like it was the wild effing west. A power outage hardly justifies that. If there was a disaster and looters everywhere it could be a different story. 

40 minutes ago, SofaKing said:

Being in Tucson, I'm not as concerned as most of you are about the immediate effects of a major California E.Q., but we're not immune to the long term effects nor are we immune to a natural disaster here.

I have a plan. I'll be at work. My wife and kids can protect themselves. They're capable (that was part of a long term plan that began 36 years ago and is still in effect today).

At work I protect infrastructure and the people who make sure the infrastructure is running. I'll be there for them. None of the people I work with will "bug out". I'll also reach out to Davis Monthan AFB and other local military who are deployed and can't be here to protect their family. I won't be hiding or hoarding. You're plan may be different depending on your family and work situation, and that's ok with me.

I have stuff. You need it? Just ask. Don't try to take it by force. If you do, you won't be needing it any longer. I effin' hate thieves and a piddly ass natural disaster is no excuse, in my book, to start acting like an azzhole. Continue being normal. Help and protect people until they show you they don't deserve it.

I like your attitude and wish everyone felt the same and acted the same.

However, there is a certain segment of the population whose first reaction in a natural disaster or even a jury verdict they don't like is to loot and burn down buildings. There are plenty of videos to prove my point.

I won't be the aggressor after the SHTF, but I'll certainly be ready to defend myself against those who decide that the rules don't apply any more. In a lawless world, there are only predators and prey.

12 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

I like your attitude and wish everyone felt the same and acted the same.

However, there is a certain segment of the population whose first reaction in a natural disaster or even a jury verdict they don't like is to loot and burn down buildings. There are plenty of videos to prove my point.

I won't be the aggressor after the SHTF, but I'll certainly be ready to defend myself against those who decide that the rules don't apply any more. In a lawless world, there are only predators and prey.

I'm with you 100% on that one,

17 minutes ago, JKR951 said:

I'm with you 100% on that one,

Yup and so far

realbadlarry and Mac are on my  "Shoot on sight " list. :lol:

48 minutes ago, Stugots said:

Yup and so far

realbadlarry and Mac are on my  "Shoot on sight " list. :lol:

That's why I have long range sniper stuff....you won't ever see me.

4 minutes ago, Mac said:

That's why I have long range sniper stuff....you won't ever see me.

We all do....

those in socal def need to prep to survive a natural disaster and the fallout from it.  just look how clogged the freeways get on holiday weekends, you think your gonna flee to somewhere else?? add an earthquake scenario and then you've got possible overpasses and bridges down making it even more impassable. 

5 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

Last night my comment about guns and ammo wasn't correct.  I was drinking and not analyzing everything before I wrote all comments.  I agree with you that guns and ammo are essential, but what I was trying to convey is that some people think about them too much, and not enough about the other aspects of survival.

Plus, this morning it looks like L.R.S, the person who I was trying to help, may have been joking about not knowing about guns and ammo, so haha, the joke was on me :)

You are correct, I was joking.  Guns are good for many things, protection, acquisition as @Mac stated, but also as currency.  If it all goes bad, or very very bad, paper money won't be worth shit if there is no where to use it to get the supplies you need for survival.

I've drunk posted more times than I can remember.  Next morning I'll log in and wonder why I have a bunch of notifications- oh, yeah...

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

those in socal def need to prep to survive a natural disaster and the fallout from it.  just look how clogged the freeways get on holiday weekends, you think your gonna flee to somewhere else?? add an earthquake scenario and then you've got possible overpasses and bridges down making it even more impassable. 

Most of my plans include shelter at home and defend it. The bugout bag is for if an event happens and I have to leave the car on the fwy and walk home. 

I was at a loss as to how to keep water on hand indefinitely. Water storage containers properly prepared were good for 5 years but I didn't know if the water would for sure last that long or if I would remember to change it out. I now keep 4 flats of Costco bottled water on hand and use it in my coffee maker. Once the top flat is gone, I buy a new one and put it on the bottom. I've been doing this for the last 9 years and am constantly renewing my water supply in this fashion.

I also have staples that I keep a larger than normal supply of like peanut butter. It lasts for years so I have 4-6 tubs on hand and buy more as I use it, making sure to rotate the older stock forward in the pantry. I keep batteries and clothing items including shoes like this also.

Finally, I was looking at civilian MRE type foods and came across the freeze dried camper/prepper food. While MREs are dated from 2-5 years of shelf life, mountain house freeze dried food is labeled for 30 years. This stuff is dedicated emergency food so will be stored for many years without being rotated. It tastes decent, has many varieties, is super light and compact, and easy to prepare. You don't have to use hot water but it helps.

I have a camping trailer that I keep filled with water as well but will most likely stay here at my house or be up at my parents with them 4 miles away.

Posted (edited)

I am a bit more then a few pounds over weight, so I just need water.  I'll just sit back and watch you skinny people die. 

Trying to get out of dodge is pointless. Everyone will be stopped dead on the freeway and a total sitting duck. I'll just hunker down and watch it all burn around me. It will be like the Rodney King Riots all over again. 

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

8 hours ago, punkur67 said:

Some people over react to situations too. 

When we had that big power outage in southern California about 8 years ago I went to 7-11 to grab ice to keep the food cool at home. There were morons walking in and out of the store with pistols on their hip (in California) like it was the wild effing west. A power outage hardly justifies that. If there was a disaster and looters everywhere it could be a different story. 

Should they have waited for a riot to start before gearing up?

3 minutes ago, Bansh88 said:

Should they have waited for a riot to start before gearing up?

There was absolutely no sign of any sort of situation. I understand what you are saying about being prepared for any situation. But the power being out for a few hours hardly justifies nor legalizes carrying an exposed firearm in to the store.  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Fireballsocal said:

I was at a loss as to how to keep water on hand indefinitely. Water storage containers properly prepared were good for 5 years but I didn't know if the water would for sure last that long or if I would remember to change it out. I now keep 4 flats of Costco bottled water on hand and use it in my coffee maker. Once the top flat is gone, I buy a new one and put it on the bottom. I've been doing this for the last 9 years and am constantly renewing my water supply in this fashion.

I also have staples that I keep a larger than normal supply of like peanut butter. It lasts for years so I have 4-6 tubs on hand and buy more as I use it, making sure to rotate the older stock forward in the pantry. I keep batteries and clothing items including shoes like this also.

Finally, I was looking at civilian MRE type foods and came across the freeze dried camper/prepper food. While MREs are dated from 2-5 years of shelf life, mountain house freeze dried food is labeled for 30 years. This stuff is dedicated emergency food so will be stored for many years without being rotated. It tastes decent, has many varieties, is super light and compact, and easy to prepare. You don't have to use hot water but it helps.

I have a camping trailer that I keep filled with water as well but will most likely stay here at my house or be up at my parents with them 4 miles away.

I put a sticker on my water with a date  - 3 years out - which they say is safe- and just rotate it out - you can never have enough- about 2 gallons a day per person plus something to clean up with.

I will not buy an "instant on" hot water heater - I like having a 70 gallon water heater - thats 70 gallons fresh water - i just might need to filter ...

I bought some of my food stuff from this local place   https://majorsurplus.com/  I like being able to  select on site and pick it up the delivery thing of  prepper food seems weird

And of course Twinkies and Ding Dongs are good for 100 years .. atleast

Edited by fullthrottleguy

Posted (edited)

Learn to male your own mre's. 

Spam is still being found from ww2 and still edible.

Easy and cheap to make spam. Mason jars done right can last 20+ years. All those left overs can be a meal in 10 years.

Edited by Legit Duner

Not quite ready, but do have a plan.  Got what I need for defense, short range, and long distance.  Damn that .308 is an incredible sniper rifle.   She is dialed.  I learned how to hunt and fish growing up, i have the equipment and have good people in contact when it all goes sideways; where to meet, what to have...I do need to get to work on supplies.  WATER AND RATIONS.  WATER...WATER...WATER.  

Trailer is always full of water, and gas.  And if I need to go on foot, I can walk for days.  

But with all of that, I’m only 40% ready if it went down today. So I guess I’m not even close..LOL.   I need to get to work. 

10 minutes ago, Legit Duner said:

Learn to male your own mre's. 

Spam is still being found from ww2 and still edible.

Easy and cheap to make spam. Mason jars done right can last 20+ years. All those left overs can be a meal in 10 years.

I recently opened a can of spam that was somewhere between 8 and 10 yrs old. The seam was sealed with what looked like lead and there was a strip of spam that looked like the lead had leached into it. I cut out the discolored part, but it was pretty large and I couldn't be sure the lead hadn't leached further into it, so I tossed the whole thing.

They do have Spam and tuna in mylar pouches now, I'm assuming they will last longer since that's what the 30 yr freeze dried foods are packaged in.

I have a bit of Mountain House, which tastes the best, and Auguson Farms. Auguson farms purports to be less expensive but in reality, they consider a cup of powdered milk or orange juice as a serving, and a lot of their stuff is rice or pasta based, or has a lot of beans in it. MH uses real beef or chicken in their foods and tastes quite a bit better, so I still consider them a decent deal, especially on sale.

I've changed my strategy on long term freeze dried pantry items. I can buy bulk rice, beans, pasta and package it myself in airtight containers. Now I just buy bulk freeze dried cubed and ground beef, and cubed chicken and pork. I can pretty much make most meals from those basics plus some spices and sauces I rotate through.

3 minutes ago, Sndsamplr said:

Not quite ready, but do have a plan.  Got what I need for defense, short range, and long distance.  Damn that .308 is an incredible sniper rifle.   She is dialed.  I learned how to hunt and fish growing up, i have the equipment and have good people in contact when it all goes sideways; where to meet, what to have...I do need to get to work on supplies.  WATER AND RATIONS.  WATER...WATER...WATER.  

Trailer is always full of water, and gas.  And if I need to go on foot, I can walk for days.  

But with all of that, I’m only 40% ready if it went down today. So I guess I’m not even close..LOL.   I need to get to work. 

If you think like a potential looter, when would you attack?

I'd attack a target at night. Whoever has night vision capability has the upper hand in a scenario like that. Practicing at night would also be beneficial. Also keep in mind any firearm produces huge muzzle flash, so after the first shot, you can no longer see in the dark like you did before the first shot. Just some food for thought.