socaldmax

What do you feel is the most likely disaster?

I think the most likely disaster in San Diego would be a large wildfire. I'm ready to evacuate if necessary, or provide my own power for as long as necessary.

My second guess would be an earthquake. I think the effects would be fairly short lived and I've got enough food, water and power to pull through that easily, provided there isn't extensive damage to my home. Basically easily survivable.

My third guess might be a Yellowstone eruption. It's roughly due or overdue for an eruption at any time now. I'm hoping we'd get several days' to a week's notice before that happens. An eruption of that magnitude would be a global event and definitely put the entire North American continent into disaster mode. That would definitely take a much longer term plan to survive.

A distant fourth possibility might be an armed conflict to over throw a tyrannical gov't. I really doubt it, since it didn't happen when that Muslim ahole was prez., it's not likely to happen in my lifetime.

Fire then Earthquake.

Any of the current politicians unseating the businessman who is doing a decent job at the moment. I don't see him becoming a politician at all, and just continuing the path to even more greatness ahead.

But I imagine Carmello Harris will win in 2020 as America seems to have a thing for half black females. Just had one for eight years. On a brighter note at least she's not a muslim.

Posted (edited)

Fire, earthquake and financial collapse.

Edit to add, plague or disease is a contender

Edited by Legit Duner

3 hours ago, aceisback said:

Any of the current politicians unseating the businessman who is doing a decent job at the moment. I don't see him becoming a politician at all, and just continuing the path to even more greatness ahead.

But I imagine Carmello Harris will win in 2020 as America seems to have a thing for half black females. Just had one for eight years. On a brighter note at least she's not a muslim.

I'm expecting  Trump to win in 2020, we need to get out the vote to make sure that happens!

So you foresee an armed rebellion if a Democrat becomes Prez?

1 minute ago, ahipara 55 said:

I'm guessing it will be Colin Kaepernick's fault..................................

How so?

16 minutes ago, Legit Duner said:

Fire, earthquake and financial collapse.

Edit to add, plague or disease is a contender

Good point, we could have a pandemic.

Although it's not a certainty, I'm hoping any African carrying the latest strain of Ebola will arrive on the east coast somewhere and we'll have plenty of notice before it gets here. However with the amount of air travel these days, it's a slim chance.

How do you see the financial collapse unfolding? The same as 2008?

I’m thinking Cali is going to burn. So much growth,  so much kindling, one spark, Santa Ana winds, poof, up she goes.  We have a horse boarded in the east county, and we have to be ready to evacuate ASAP when it happens.   And it will. 

1 hour ago, ahipara 55 said:

Nike, which is a component of the the Dow Industrials valued at $6.5 trillion, is taken down single handedly by Kaepernick (as some on this site believe is the case). A domino affect ensues on the remaining 29 companies. US is broke...........................

BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have known better.

Fire, look at all the recent ones that devastated whole cities in CA last couple years.

Fire, disease, free shit running out and riots. 

I hate to say it but wildland fires in California are inevitable. San Diego County is due for a major wildfire incident. With all the rainfall we've had we have grass crops still growing under grass crops that are ready to burn.

When "the big one" hits there will be plenty of problems, but I don't think we have any way of knowing if it will happen in an hour or even in our lifetimes. The quakes over the last couple days could mean more to come, or that's it for another number of years. Same with a Yellowstone/Long Valley/ etc type event. It certainty could be immensely destructive, but its still a relatively low probability event.

Civil/Political unrest is of course always a possibility, I personally wouldn't expect that at least until 2020, depending on how the elections go...

As always, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Earthquake is always a top risk in CA as are wildfires and riots due to just about anything...those we can prepare for to some extent and control mostly.. 

Pandemic  is the one we cannot prepare for or predict. With the uncontrolled movement of people in and around the US (planes) , the anti-vax movement, and general completely F'd up homeless conditions, the likelihood is high and the death toll could be enormous before it gets undercontrol

5 minutes ago, fullthrottleguy said:

Earthquake is always a top risk in CA as are wildfires and riots due to just about anything...those we can prepare for to some extent and control mostly.. 

Pandemic  is the one we cannot prepare for or predict. With the uncontrolled movement of people in and around the US (planes) , the anti-vax movement, and general completely F'd up homeless conditions, the likelihood is high and the death toll could be enormous before it gets undercontrol

Man, the homeless people I come in contact with are basically walking diseases. Active tuberculosis, MRSA, leaking abscesses and then go completely untreated. I had a physical a couple Fridays ago and was due for a Tetanus booster. I asked her what else she can give me. I’ll take all the boosters you got. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, socaldmax said:

How do you see the financial collapse unfolding? The same as 2008?

No, it will be worse and longer lasting. Whether people know it or not we are in worse shape than the 2008 crisis. Double the debt, less regulation, and a Congress that is far more inept. The Feds can't save us this time. No money for a stimulas package either. If Trump is not re-elected it will be sooner rather than later. 

It will be global in nature so it will hit everyone, not just the middle class. 

Edited by Legit Duner

Running out of booze

1 minute ago, Esco said:

Running out of booze

Booze stores well.  I stocked up on everclear and vodka. Got enough to keep me numb for years. Hahaha

41 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

They don't. Still indebted 12 feet over their heads and hitting the shopping mall...................................

The fact that the majority made little change to lifestyle after The Great Meltdown tells the whole story.

So you feel it was consumer debt that led to the crash of 2008?

interesting subject. ballooning corporate debt is an issue also, hence trump's pushing Powell to cut. if yellowstone blows that might be a cataclysmic event for north america or the world.  iirc it is the world's largest super-volcano.  if it blows, definitely gonna cue up my 'live at pompei' floyd dvd....

Posted (edited)

Coronal mass ejection

Edited by sausage450r

2 hours ago, ahipara 55 said:

Real estate debt started the ball rolling , then tightening of credit finished it off. Banks behaved with shocking stupidity.

The latest Real Estate bubble  in California (in my opinion) is storage unit construction. Do people REALLY need to be spending hard earned cash to store their useless crap they did not need to buy in the first place? When this bubble is over, there will be another, and another, and another.

If we are not spending in our economy, jobs are lost. Consumption is definitely not a sustainable economic strategy.

No government entity has the balls to wean Americans off of consumption for fear of the short term affects. The long term picture is extremely ugly!

According to my research, Reagan deregulated the banking industry, with Clinton continuing it and signing legislation that encouraged everyone to be a homeowner and allowed greedy mortgage companies to sell ARMs and subprime mortgages.

It was the greed of Wall St bankers, however, that started the whole mess. Lehman Bros., Bear Stearns, etc were all over leveraged at 50:1, up to 100:1 and could no longer support their massive debt. The subprime mortgages didn't begin to be a factor until corporations laid off massive amounts of workers who then became unable to pay their mortgages. Experts say it was banks investing in risky derivatives composed of hidden subprime mortgages that started the domino effect.

If the only problem was subprime mortgages, that segment of the population would have either lost their homes or gotten help from family members, but it would not have caused the worldwide financial collapse that the bankers caused, helped by AIG selling insurance against securities that beneficiaries didn't even own, and the ratings companies flat out lying about the health of the banks.  

From what I understand, the derivatives overleveraged debt is as bad or worse than in 2008. I don't see how consumerism and debt figures into the banks making risky investments.

1 hour ago, sausage450r said:

Coronal mass ejection

Do you have an approximate date for that? 

Giant meteor.

Famine could be an issue..We are in a solar minimum and also various volcanoes are spewing ash high in the sky..The combined effect is exactly what the libtards say they want..Global Cooling and as part of that the jet stream is shifting which affects the rain patterns.. The midwest has had major rain and as a result crops such as corn and soybeans are only planted at about 30% of what they normally are. So if the pattern continues , food shortages will result..If that occurs .people will be in the streets raising hell..A large percentage of people in this country think food comes from the grocery store and they won't understand so it will be interesting to see what happens..

It is the last thing you expect that will destabilize a community.  Personally I look at our aging electrical grid as the most likely culprit. If you had a massive failure that caused the systemic collapse of a major grid you would see all hell break loose in a matter of days. No electricity, no water pumping into so cal. Food would run out within 24-48 hours, water supplies around the same time. 

The government cannot move enough food or water to sustain that large of a population so chaos descends within a couple of days, looting riots and the usual crying absolute about where the government is.  People quickly devolve into animals without the confines of government and will take what they believe is theirs from wherever or whom ever they can.  Within 7 days you would see pockets of complete anarchy, I will restrain from stating my thoughts on any socioeconomic or demographic specifics.