RideSand

Re sealing and other general noob help

I recently got my first RV. Its an 11' cab over made by Fleetwood. It is small, and not brand new, but we are very happy and very excited to finally have a "rig" of our own to explore and create memories with. I have a few questions....

I would like to clean out and re caulk everything on the outside (windows, door hatches, vents) as well as the moulding along all corners and sides - can you recommend the best method and product for that? 

I have a bit of separation on the side of the nose. You can see that the wood inside has seen some moisture - do I pump some kind of sealer or epoxy in there and then seal it back up with the same stuff I use around the windows?

The roof LOOKS ok, but it has been outside for the past few years and I don't want to take any chances. I know I cant afford the nicest or best product to re-seal or re-cover it, but Im sure there are multiple levels of quality and value, and I would like to find some kind of middle ground there. 

Ive got the propane tanks recertified and refilled, the generator going (its a Cummins with 23 hours on it!), the AC works great, and all of the jacks work as well. I had to fab up one (way overkill) bracket for the back drivers side jack as the lags ripped out of the original mounting position (I don't know the story but theres a little damage underneath in the same area), haven't filled it up with water so Im not sure if the tanks have any leaks, but there no issues with them the last time it was used, and the water pump seems to work with the just quick on/off test. 

I cant think of anything else I am looking for help with at the moment, but maybe this will become a running thread if I can keep up with things. Thanks for the help - looking forward to some advice from the experienced road goers out there!

Posted (edited)

My son just did his roof on his toy hauler. Went and got a gallon of white elastek rubber roof crack repair ($39.00) and did all seams on the roof. Then went back with white roof coating and coated entire roof. Came out nice. I would want to make roof white instead of black just for sun in sw. Got all products at ace hardware.

Edited by Richard H

The roof re-caulking  I was told to use soapy water and clean the existing best you can and apply over it with the same stuff.  Use a plastic knife to spread and make look good.  Do not remove what doesn't come off with just some elbow grease and an old wash cloth.  

The window you can do two ways . One the same as the roof or the second remove the window clean off the old window sealer apply new window sealer ( looks like playodugh on a piece of tape.) then seal up using the caulking again.

But what I would start with is that separation on the lower part of the cab over section.  That is not good and isn't as an easy fix as you might think.  I would of walked away from the camper for that reason alone.

That side damage looks to me as if the roof gutter caused it. Maybe when you fix get the new style gutter extensions and keep the water from coming down the side there.

4 hours ago, MWB said:

I would of walked away from the camper for that reason alone.

I got a super good deal on this thing, knowing I had a little bit of work to do to it. If I sold it for $1,000 right now I would make money! That is the section I want to tackle next, though.

4 hours ago, Richard H said:

That side damage looks to me as if the roof gutter caused it. Maybe when you fix get the new style gutter extensions and keep the water from coming down the side there.

New style gutter you say? My thought was to make sure everything up there was sealed off. Didn't think about there being a BETTER gutter system

5 hours ago, Richard H said:

My son just did his roof on his toy hauler. Went and got a gallon of white elastek rubber roof crack repair ($39.00) and did all seams on the roof. Then went back with white roof coating and coated entire roof. Came out nice. I would want to make roof white instead of black just for sun in sw. Got all products at ace hardware.

I like the sound of that. I will stop by ACE on my way home and see what they've got. Thanks

29 minutes ago, RideSand said:

New style gutter you say? My thought was to make sure everything up there was sealed off. Didn't think about there being a BETTER gutter system

The roof edge acts as a gutter to move water front or rear. See at front end the black streaks? That shows where the water has run on the side of camper. 

Couple of pics of what I have on mine, and going out to get pictures for you, I discovered one of mine broken, need to fix.

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

Ahh ok. Looks like it moves the water out away from the siding so it falls off instead of runs down. Looking for those guys right now - thanks!

Looks like they are cheap!

14 minutes ago, RideSand said:

Yep, and install with a little silly- cone!

2 hours ago, RideSand said:

good find, im gonna add these to my 03 WW. 

I saw that you commented on my post so I won't go back into the details.  Just make sure you replace anything you see that need attention BEFORE you do your coating.  That earthbound tape is amazing stuff.   I would think you could use one gallon of the Hengs with how small that is.

15 hours ago, r3meyer said:

I saw that you commented on my post so I won't go back into the details.  Just make sure you replace anything you see that need attention BEFORE you do your coating.  That earthbound tape is amazing stuff.   I would think you could use one gallon of the Hengs with how small that is.

👍 I will be addressing that tomorrow if I can. If not, its still first on the list.

I think that roof started white.  It looks like an EPDM roof that has had all of the white finish weather off of it.

Like said, when I went out to get a picture of mine I found one broken. Went a bought today, they make different length and widths so you can get what works best for you. 2 pack or 4 also.

IMG_1491.JPG

1 hour ago, Richard H said:

Like said, when I went out to get a picture of mine I found one broken. Went a bought today, they make different length and widths so you can get what works best for you. 2 pack or 4 also.

IMG_1491.JPG

Perfect. I didn't order those from Amazon because the reviews were a little mixed. Looks like Rowley White here in PHX can get me some.

Picked up the exact same part here in town, but paid $2 more a box - what the crap!? Haha. They went on really well actually. Its been looking like rain the last couple of nights, and even though I know how that goes (threatens for a few days and nothing ever happens) I also know how quickly it can just unleash hell on us out in the sticks, so I started sealing right away with some stuff thats supposed to be awesome. If its gets me through the next few months, I figured I will start over and actually clean everything well before doing it again. Hopefully it will be under cover by then as well, but who knows....