RK Racing

2020 4 seat talon .......

4 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Maybe.   When we are out in the dunes taking a break we will  watch the different groups in the dunes that we can see.     Most of the sandcar groups are not moving at some crazy pace.   When I first got my X3 myself and a friend got behind a sandcar group that was moving at a good clip in the big dunes between Osborne and Olds.   Lots of fun as the lead sandcar picked really good flowing lines.    They could easily pull away on the long straights and just because of having a lot more hp. 

It is all fun no matter the pace. 

I think the pace of either groups is not even a factor anymore, our group moves at a fast pace, and the turbo SxS's all keep up.  Are they working harder, yes, but they still don't have much of an issue keeping up. 2 and 4 seat non turbos are not keeping up with most buggy groups thru the dunes, at least not with our group.

2 minutes ago, Cookie said:

I think the pace of either groups is not even a factor anymore, our group moves at a fast pace, and the turbo SxS's all keep up.  Are they working harder, yes, but they still don't have much of an issue keeping up. 2 and 4 seat non turbos are not keeping up with most buggy groups thru the dunes, at least not with our group.

The speed of a group thru the dunes has so many determining factors.  From the confidence the group has in the leader to the way they lead. 

9 minutes ago, Cookie said:

I agree.   The non-turbos in our group on a fast run have trouble keeping up.   It is more noticeable when you start getting into the bigger dunes between Osborne and Olds.  

On 7/9/2019 at 11:43 AM, socaldmax said:

Personally, I'm not interested in a 4 seat SxS since I have a 4 seat sandrail. However, I know a lot of people would like to have 4 seats. I imagine one would really want a turbo to keep the thing moving at a decent clip with 4 people in it. By the time it all adds up for 4 doors and a turbo, you could probably buy a nice sandrail for the same price or less.  The big thing they have going for them is you generally can't finance a sandrail, and just about anyone can afford to finance a SxS. 

That's really the big draw, financing.

Whats that you say?  You want to be like BJ Baldwin?  No problem.  If you have a pulse and a Job we can yon get into one of these babies for 84 easy payments of $595.  

Just make sure when you get insurance you get that "Gap" coverage.  Whats Gap coverage you ask?  Thats the "I can't sell it for even 75% of what I paid for it so now so I have to light it on fire to get out from under it" coverage.

3 minutes ago, MWB said:

The speed of a group thru the dunes has so many determining factors.  From the confidence the group has in the leader to the way they lead. 

This is very true.  Anyone can plow through the dunes.   Finding lines and flowing through the dunes is where it is at. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2019 at 11:43 AM, Sand Shark said:

It only effects the compression settings.   If it is like the Polaris set up you have a button where you can set it to comfort, a middle setting and a sport setting.  Sport being the firmest.  When the wheels leave the ground when jumping the computer automatically puts it to the firmest setting to prevent bottoming out.  Also when cornering it will firm up the outside shocks to limit body roll. At least that is how the Polaris live valve works and it works really well on the Turbo S.   

I drove my friend's 4 seat Turbo S and you can tell the difference between the settings.  The Turbo S set up is really nice.  I suspect all the sport models will have a live valve option in the next year or two.   Several Trophy Truck drivers have been using this set up for several years. 

It takes readings from sensors in the steering wheel, brakes, throttle and speed. Along with all that it has a Bosch 5-axis sensor located in the center of the machine that reads angles. The Bosch 5-axis sensor is basically the same thing you have in your smart phone. (When you have it on an app say like google earth and you move your phone around and it knows the orientation.)  All of this is feed to an ECU that automatically adjust the shocks individually to the best setting for the condition in milliseconds. 

Edited by RIDERED

I wonder what happens when the connectors to all of the sensors get wet and the 5 axis sensor decides it needs to catapult you 200 ft to the left?

:lol: 

16 minutes ago, RIDERED said:

It takes readings from sensors in the steering wheel, brakes, throttle and speed. Along with all that it has a Bosch 5-axis sensor located in the center of the machine that reads angles. The Bosch 5-axis sensor is basically the same thing you have in your smart phone. (When you have it on an app say like google earth and you move your phone around and it knows the orientation.)  All of this is feed to an ECU that automatically adjust the shocks individually to the best setting for the condition in milliseconds. 

I was just going with the simple stuff.  You are correct it is quite a complicated masterpiece.   I have driven my friend's 4 seat Turbo S and there is a screen you can bring up that shows you  what each shock is doing, and a bunch of other cool stuff.   You can feel the shocks and system doing it's thing.     There is a significant difference in feel from the 3 different settings.  I also like that the computer knows when all four wheels leave the ground and automatically puts the shocks to the hardest compression setting to help prevent bottoming out.   Polaris is pushing the technology and others will follow.  

9 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

I was just going with the simple stuff.  You are correct it is quite a complicated masterpiece.   I have driven my friend's 4 seat Turbo S and there is a screen you can bring up that shows you  what each shock is doing, and a bunch of other cool stuff.   You can feel the shocks and system doing it's thing.     There is a significant difference in feel from the 3 different settings.  I also like that the computer knows when all four wheels leave the ground and automatically puts the shocks to the hardest compression setting to help prevent bottoming out.   Polaris is pushing the technology and others will follow.  

Actually Fox is pushing the technology. They are using it in many different applications. They have it for mountain bikes now. 

Also Bosch has a lot of time invested in the Talon. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

I wonder what happens when the connectors to all of the sensors get wet and the 5 axis sensor decides it needs to catapult you 200 ft to the left?

:lol: 

It goes into a default suspension setting.  So hopefully it does not catapult you.   

Edited by Sand Shark

5 minutes ago, RIDERED said:

Actually Fox is pushing the technology. They are using it in many different applications. They have it for mountain bikes now. 

Also Bosch has a lot of time invested in the Talon. 

The set up on the Polaris is both Fox and Polaris' brain child.   Fox has been messing with the active suspension for a while.  Rob Mac has been running a form of it on his Trophy Truck.   

It will be interesting to see if the set up on the Honda is different.    I would bet that Can Am will have a model in the next year or two with the set up.  

I believe everyone will have it in the future. You get the best suspension settings in milliseconds if it gets the information it needs to make the settings work.  

It will be whatever manufacture can come up with the most accurate information to feed the Fox Live Valve that will make them work the best . 

I read through everyone's replies and all I can say is this is no game changer.   But I still like the Talon 2-seaters.

Saw it at the Angel’s game on Sunday looks nice and well built.   I just bought a jeep instead. 

15 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

I read through everyone's replies and all I can say is this is no game changer.   But I still like the Talon 2-seaters.

The transmission set up is like nothing on the market.  If it holds up it is a glimpse of where the top sport models will be heading.   With the 3 big Japanese companies in the sport market it should force Can Am and Polaris to step up the quality control.  Polaris and Can Am will continue to push the envelope in the hp department.    

At this point nothing is a true game changer, just a refinement or a twist.  The XP1000 is the model that really propelled the sport market.   

34 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

With the 3 big Japanese companies in the sport market it should force Can Am and Polaris to step up the quality control. 

That will be the best thing for the sport, even more important than smart shocks and big turbo's 

1 hour ago, Sand Shark said:

The transmission set up is like nothing on the market.  If it holds up it is a glimpse of where the top sport models will be heading.   With the 3 big Japanese companies in the sport market it should force Can Am and Polaris to step up the quality controlPolaris and Can Am will continue to push the envelope in the hp department.    

At this point nothing is a true game changer, just a refinement or a twist.  The XP1000 is the model that really propelled the sport market.   

They WILL push HP, they always have....:lol:

3 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

And sacrifice reliability.

17 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Yep.   Can Am is already at 195 and I suspect the new Polaris that is being released next week will be in that hp range.  It is an all new look Polaris. 

14 minutes ago, RIDERED said:

And sacrifice reliability.

I think both are pretty reliable.  Sure you drive it like an a-hole and you will break stuff.  Don't take care of it and there will be issues.    

I could break a Polaris fairly quickly. I have yet to break a Talon and I have tried pretty hard. 

Just saying. 

11 minutes ago, RIDERED said:

I could break a Polaris fairly quickly. I have yet to break a Talon and I have tried pretty hard. 

Just saying. 

Anyone can break anything fairly quickly, if you have the balls and desire to do so.   I have a friend that can snap a belt in under 5 minutes, if he wants to.   Have another friend that will break just about anything he drives.   

The Talon's design is matched well to the hp, which puts the odds in your favor that it will not break; however, I have seen plenty of pictures of Talons with broken parts and cages.   

On 7/19/2019 at 9:43 AM, Sand Shark said:

The transmission set up is like nothing on the market.  If it holds up it is a glimpse of where the top sport models will be heading.   With the 3 big Japanese companies in the sport market it should force Can Am and Polaris to step up the quality control.  Polaris and Can Am will continue to push the envelope in the hp department.    

Yes I knew about the Talon transmission and that's EXACTLY why I like the 2-seaters.  I will never like a 4-seater SxS of any brand.

22 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

Yes I knew about the Talon transmission and that's EXACTLY why I like the 2-seaters.  I will never like a 4-seater SxS of any brand.

If you do a lot of hard pack desert riding  the longer wheelbase of the 4 seater makes for a smoother ride and more stable.   If I did more hard pack than dunes I would consider getting a 4 seater.  They provide more storage space for the long trips.    I like the 4 seat Turbo S and surprisingly the 4 seat Can Am X3 drives shorter than it actually is.