Sign in to follow this  
858surveyor

King shock service

Does anyone know of any shops in San Diego  that service King shocks? Like to keep it local vs taking them all the way to King.

You should consider doing it yourself, the parts are very inexpensive and the  process is very simple. Check out filthy Motorsports. They have a video and a detailed rebuild manual. Sources on the board  here for tools, parts and oil.  

Down south Motorsport in San Diego

7 hours ago, JKR951 said:

You should consider doing it yourself, the parts are very inexpensive and the  process is very simple. Check out filthy Motorsports. They have a video and a detailed rebuild manual. Sources on the board  here for tools, parts and oil.  

X2. If you have good mechanical skills it is way easier than you think.

If you decide to do it yourself, we carry upgraded shock rebuild seal kits with viton o-rings on the critical areas, and also Lucas synthetic shock oil  by the gallon, (which is far superior to either Fox or King oil ) on our website. as well as many shock tools also 

3 hours ago, SCHMIDTY said:

If you decide to do it yourself, we carry upgraded shock rebuild seal kits with viton o-rings on the critical areas, and also Lucas synthetic shock oil  by the gallon, (which is far superior to either Fox or King oil ) on our website. as well as many shock tools also 

What is the website?

Amsoil is also excellent. I run the #5. For me way better than the King oil. https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/suspension-fluid/

18 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

Amsoil is also excellent. I run the #5. For me way better than the King oil. https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/suspension-fluid/

What is better about it?   It is also sold in 5w and 10w. What weight is King oil?  I think the newest Fox shocks call for a different and more expensive oil. IDK.  

M and M Offroad on Woodside ave in Santee Great service and fast

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, stumpalump said:

What is better about it?   It is also sold in 5w and 10w. What weight is King oil?  I think the newest Fox shocks call for a different and more expensive oil. IDK.  

Amsoil was one of the first and still one of the best synthetics out there. I use their products in a lot of different applications. I have run their engine oil in all my stuff for 20+ years. As far as the shock oil, the regular King oil gets black and nasty. The synthetic lasts longer and I feel at least for me my car works a lot better over time. It always looks cleaner when I change out the oil. 

Edited by onanysunday

28 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

Amsoil was one of the first and still one of the best synthetics out there. I use their products in a lot of different applications. I have run their engine oil in all my stuff for 20+ years. As far as the shock oil, the regular King oil gets black and nasty. The synthetic lasts longer and I feel at least for me my car works a lot better over time. It always looks cleaner when I change out the oil. 

Thanks. So how would the feel or shock damping feel running 5w vs 10w?

3 minutes ago, stumpalump said:

Good question. And honestly I have been running the 5w for so long I can't remember how I determined that. I have King shocks that came stock on my Gen 4 Funco. First few trips in 2006 and when the car was new I was headed out of town and called Greg George about setting up valving. Didn't have time to wait for different shims so he had me pull one shim from the stack in the rear bypasses. To this day I haven't touched it and they are the same. Probably changed oil in them 4 times at least. 

What  OAS said about synthetics. Although I think the Lucas is as good if not better than the Amsoil.  We carry Lucas Synthetic in 5wt, 7.5wt, and 10 wt in 1/2 &1 gallon jugs. Lucas with it's anti friction additives  most definitely runs cooler for lower shock temps than either Fox,King, or Stay-Away, which equates into less wear on the shocks, and the oil stays remarkably cleaner than either King or Fox. We just service a set of xp900 shocks which we rebuilt,revalved and respring back in 2013, and the customer had put on over 5000 miles of hard miles since,  in Mexico, mohave desert, at the river by Parker, and Gordons wells.. .. I probably could have recycled the oil as It had next to zero dirt or contamination in it.. I would/will NEVER use Fox oil, as if you have ever done a rebuild, you will see what I am talking about.. It leaves a sticky residue .. Not an attribute I want in my shock oil. 

https://downsouthmotorsports.com/

they are on mission gorge road, by the quarry.  Super smart folks, they did a bunch of my VW stuff when I was beating the crap out of everything.   Super helpful, very quick response times. 

Bob

19 hours ago, stumpalump said:

Higher viscosity oil will slow shock movement at a given setting.  I doubt you would notice the difference  between 5 and 10 though. There my be other effects I don't know about.

3 minutes ago, JKR951 said:

Higher viscosity oil will slow shock movement at a given setting.  I doubt you would notice the difference  between 5 and 10 though. There my be other effects I don't know about.

Yes, you will.

25 minutes ago, SCHMIDTY said:

Yes, you will.

Then it would be nice for someone to elaborate on that a bit!