sinverguenza

School me on Air Compressors and/ kits

I bought a HF Central Pneumatic 3 gallon pancake air compressor. Well used it once and was not very happy. I guess I got what I paid for.

I think it took too long to fill the tank for me to top off my tires.

I need to be able to top off 4- 35 inch tires from 25 psi to 80 psi and 6- 225/75/15 tires from 25 psi to 80 psi.

I have read some reviews on Viair and ARB.  Each one has their pros and cons.  

Hoping to find a decent set up to either mount under my truck where spare tire goes or under my 5th wheel.

Also want to keep the cost as low as possible if possible. 

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Just get a c02 tank from a welding supply store and a valve off eBay.     Could be OTD for $150. My tank usually lasts half a season.   

4 minutes ago, mellen_mpz said:

Just get a c02 tank from a welding supply store and a valve off eBay.     Could be OTD for $150. My tank usually lasts half a season.   

This.  Tank is filled with high pressure gas, use a regulator to regulate outlet pressure to desired psi, and use a short hose with air chuck on it to quickly fill up your tires.  You'll fill the tires in a fraction of the time of any small portable 12v air compressor with the compressed air tank.

I have a porter cable pancake. Works well was $100

I use the Dewalt 5.0 cfm at 90 psi for the truck and trailer. I usually air the truck and trailer down to 20 psi all the way around. Air up truck and trailer to 65 psi. The truck has 37’s. The entire process from start to finish is just under 25 minutes. 

96CD4494-538D-4C14-88F2-7583A4948611.jpeg

1 hour ago, mellen_mpz said:

How big of a tank do you have?

1 hour ago, sausage450r said:

I have a porter cable pancake. Works well was $100

I was gonna buy the Porter Cable then decided to get the HF one.

53 minutes ago, 310kick said:

I use the Dewalt 5.0 cfm at 90 psi for the truck and trailer. I usually air the truck and trailer down to 20 psi all the way around. Air up truck and trailer to 65 psi. The truck has 37’s. The entire process from start to finish is just under 25 minutes. 

96CD4494-538D-4C14-88F2-7583A4948611.jpeg

What beach is that?

I'm going to Pismo first time with my 5th wheel. I was gonna air down to 25 psi. Not sure if this is high or low. I have 35's on 16 inch wheels.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sinverguenza said:

What beach is that?

I'm going to Pismo first time with my 5th wheel. I was gonna air down to 25 psi. Not sure if this is high or low. I have 35's on 16 inch wheels.

Pismo Beach last weekend. The entrance into sand highways is always very loose. So make sure to air down and keep your momentum up. 

Edited by 310kick

8 hours ago, sinverguenza said:

What beach is that?

Air down to 15. Trailer tires too. 

The brand of air compressor does not matter.  Its the CFM you are after.  You need a lot of volume.  If you want to go quick then get a C02 tank as mentioned or Nitrogen even. Otherwise your looking for a pump thats going to cost you $$$.

The con of CO2 is very small molecules. They will find any and all tiny leaks. 

The pro of the CO2 is fast fill up, and it is in a liquid state, so if you have a teaspoon of CO2 in your tank, you have up to 800psi available. If you buy a cheap regulator tho, expect it to freeze up every once in awhile. Just stop airing up and it will be ready to use in a minute or two. 

There really is a lot of air available from a small CO2 tank. You can use it to clean parts with a blow gun, fill up your tires, blast sand out of your rig. And refills were about $10 when i was using it, probably more now. That was for a tank about 6" in diameter by a couple feet tall. 

7 hours ago, 310kick said:

Pismo Beach last weekend. The entrance into sand highways is always very loose. So make sure to air down and keep your momentum up. 

56005923-2A74-4409-9305-BC033D2980B8.MOV

Will be going to Pismo first week of August.

Great information in here...I like the C02 tank idea.

Got a quote from OutLaw Offroad in Irvine for an AirLift AirBag and Compressor kit for $1400-ish installed. With-out Compressor is under $500 installed, they just mount an air chuck by my gas tank. Kind  of off topic...but gives idea on Air Compressor costs.

I tried the pancake style once and found out quickly that thing is useless for anything other than a bicycle tire.  I got a Harbor Freight 8 Gal. 2 HP 125 PSI Oil Lube Air Compressor and have been using the same one for 8 years.  Ive changed the oil twice and it keeps on ticking.  It fills up all 4 37 inch Toyos from 20 ish psi to 65 psi in under 15 mins.  You can usually find a coupon or sale or something and pick one up for about $100.  So handy, I had to buy 2 of my dune buddies one each for Christmas so they would stop using mine!  🤣

just use a nitrogen tank. can fill your shocks while your at it.

sinverguenza, I've been using a 20 lb CO2 tank for 10 years or so.  For what you want to do, you'd be able to get 2 trips out of a tank.  mellen_mpz says his lasts a half a season. I'm not sure how that's possible unless he has a massive tank.  If I aired down my truck and trailer to 20 lbs, I could get 2 trips on a bottle.  It is by far the fastest way to go.  As WLD-OTZ states, the small molecules cause it to leak easily, even through the sidewall of your tires.  If I air up my truck with CO2, I have to top off the tires with air a few weeks later.  I also have a Porter Cable compressor that has worked very well, just slower.

you could get a helium tank and lighten up the load..........

19 hours ago, sinverguenza said:

What beach is that?

I assume you already have your reservations for August ?  The summer months are typically sold out.  I would air down the truck between 15 to 20 psi depending on the tire. You want a nice bulge on the sidewall. The trailer is usually pretty good between 20 to 25 psi. The sand has been really soft and chewed up around pole 4 and everybody's getting stuck there making it even worse. You need to carry speed / momentum to get through there. Also I suggest trying to time your arrival at low tide as it's less chance of getting stuck since you will be driving on more hard packed sand. Have fun and there's a ton of people to help should you get stuck. Join either the Pismo dune riders FB page or the Jerk Pirates page and there's tons of good info to read. Have a good time. 

My advice is if you have to make a u turn once you get to the end or for whatever reason, start off from the high side of the shoreline  then turn towards the ocean and come back the way you came. I’ve seen many guys do it the opposite way only to get stuck. Hope that makes sense. 

7 hours ago, dvs1 said:

I tried the pancake style once and found out quickly that thing is useless for anything other than a bicycle tire.  I got a Harbor Freight 8 Gal. 2 HP 125 PSI Oil Lube Air Compressor and have been using the same one for 8 years.  Ive changed the oil twice and it keeps on ticking.  It fills up all 4 37 inch Toyos from 20 ish psi to 65 psi in under 15 mins.  You can usually find a coupon or sale or something and pick one up for about $100.  So handy, I had to buy 2 of my dune buddies one each for Christmas so they would stop using mine!  🤣

I have the same compressor and the only negative is the juice it takes to cycle on. An EU3000 isn't up to the task.

Posted (edited)

I have 2 smaller Aluminum Nitrogen tanks (not sure exact size, like 6-8" dia x 14-16" tall). I think one needs to be certified. I will probably sell the one that needs cert. Not sure what they are worth, got them from a friend years ago who worked for Air Products.

Edited by Buggydave

18 hours ago, Kevin said:

just use a nitrogen tank. can fill your shocks while your at it.

it doesn't last that long for tires and is expensive to fill.  C02 really is the way to go.  if you are doing big tires.  around camp HF has these micro quiet compressors which are great and keep 125psi no problem. 

For 12 volt compressors, I have 2 of these that used to be sold at Checker Auto years ago for like $40. When I had my Jeep, a bunch of us bought them and used every time we went wheeling and they work great. A couple friends even mounted them under their hood and hard-wired them in. I loaned one to a friend a while back and he loved it and wanted one, but I didn't think they were still available, but he found them online. They have been sold under different names, one I have says Super Flow, the other says something else. When we searched for them online, we even found a couple videos and articles showing them as very high rated in their tests. We saw them online as low as $50, and high as $150, depending on who was selling.

https://superflowair.com/products/mv-50-air-compressor-1

Thanks everyone for your help. 

I think I'm gonna get 20lb tank for CO2. 

I'm still going to get rid of my HF compressor and look for another. I still like the idea of having a compressor around in camp.

14 hours ago, Buggydave said:

I have 2 smaller Aluminum Nitrogen tanks (not sure exact size, like 6-8" dia x 14-16" tall). I think one needs to be certified. I will probably sell the one that needs cert. Not sure what they are worth, got them from a friend years ago who worked for Air Products.

Let me know a price.  Not sure where you are located but I'm in Whittier,  CA.

16 hours ago, Mud8ter said:

My advice is if you have to make a u turn once you get to the end or for whatever reason, start off from the high side of the shoreline  then turn towards the ocean and come back the way you came. I’ve seen many guys do it the opposite way only to get stuck. Hope that makes sense. 

Thanks, hopefully I remember this hint.  I will be there on a Monday morning so hopefully it's not too crowded.

18 hours ago, hondajimz said:

I assume you already have your reservations for August ?  The summer months are typically sold out.  I would air down the truck between 15 to 20 psi depending on the tire. You want a nice bulge on the sidewall. The trailer is usually pretty good between 20 to 25 psi. The sand has been really soft and chewed up around pole 4 and everybody's getting stuck there making it even worse. You need to carry speed / momentum to get through there. Also I suggest trying to time your arrival at low tide as it's less chance of getting stuck since you will be driving on more hard packed sand. Have fun and there's a ton of people to help should you get stuck. Join either the Pismo dune riders FB page or the Jerk Pirates page and there's tons of good info to read. Have a good time. 

Yes, I have reservations. Thanks on the tire psi for truck and trailer. This helps since I bought 2 sets of tire deflators.  But to make it easy for me I'm going to do both at 20 psi to be on safe side.