Sign in to follow this  
fortyfour

Coolant in crankcase 2004 Kawasaki KFX400

We bought a pair of these brand new back in 2004 and used to ride the piss out of them, nowadays since we have the buggy we don't hardly ever even start them. I did manage to start both of them a few weekends ago just to keep them running and I noticed the coolant overflow was empty on one of them. I didn't give it much thought at the time because the engine started and ran as usual. It wasn't until I pulled the dipstick out of the dry sump oil tank and had a lot of oil come out when I realized the coolant from the overflow tank was probably in the crankcase making it way overfull.  Needless to say I need to pull it apart and see where the coolant is getting into the crankcase at. 

I have read about magnesium clutch cover failures but that is on 2005 and newer, mine I believe still has a good aluminum cover because it is a 2004. There is the mechanical water pump seal that could be letting coolant into the crankcase but I think the most likely culprit is the cylinder head or gasket.  

Has anyone ever had a Kawasaki or Suzuki 400cc water cooled engine with this problem? 

You are on the right track, but I would lean toward the water pump being the issue. Not always the case, but sometimes the headgasket will make the coolant bottle overflow, from air pressure..  You are right about the mag case, just 05 and 06 got the recall. You can have a dealer verify with the VIN if you have any doubts..

Lots of info on those machines here:  https://www.suzukicentral.com/

The most common culprit of that is the o ring for the water pump that seals the water pump shaft from the crank case. A lot of times they are designed to be able to switch out by simply removing the water pump cover and water pump impeller. Should see the o ring just behind that. I have had a bike or 2 that needed the bottom end separated to access the o ring. But that isn’t common place. Good luck in your searches!!