Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey GD, 

Im looking for input on a planning a trip to do some riding, fishing, beer drinking and relaxing in Mammoth from Aug 16th or 17th to the 23rd or 24th. So far what I have seen is Sherwin creek campground is a nice spot or glass creek campground. Maybe there is better? Free is nice but don't mind paying if the area can meet by "needs" listed below. 

Im looking for a place where I can camp(~26ft bumper pull toy hauler) and not be overcrowded by rigs parked in like sardines and let my dog run around without being told to keep her on a leash. We like to have our "own space" unless we are camping with people we know. As of now, it just me, the fiance and dog. Dry camping is fine- don't need hook ups, toilets or any of that. 

Am I able to ride from glass creek to mammoth down the 395 or are rzrs not allowed on the road? We're from AZ- plated and street legal here , but know CA is not as lax and I am sure Ill need to buy some helmets too for the riding. 

Basically looking for info from any of you that have been here? The do's and dont's. Will I be able to get a spot showing up on a friday night or sat morning? We'd like to be able to drive the rzr everywhere from camp so I dint have to unhook the truck and don't want to be "trailering" to any trails. Hows the weather in aug? Leave windows open in trailer or will AC be needed during day?

 Lets hear it fam, thanks for any info/help! And if anyone is going to be there during that time- LETS RIDE!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you go to Deadman's Creek (the turn off is a couple/few miles past the Mammoth turnoff) you can bypass the campground and dry camp in some very nice spots. Fishing is soso in the creek but you can ride all the way to town from there (not on the street) as well as many miles of trails. I've had a tent trailer back in there pretty far...…..not sure of the road anymore. You can also camp in the campground and ride from there. Been years since we were up there.

Edited by spize909

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glass creek for the win! We have spent our last 2 anniversary in Mammoth at Glass Creek and it was the best trip we ever had.  Its a beautiful FREE campground that you can ride in and out of that has a cute little creek full of trout!

From Glass Creek we road all way to June Lake, Mono Lake, Look out Mountain ( A Must!), If you like to shoot guns, ill send you the coordinates to a bad ass little open gun range that we road to near June Lake.

We also road all the way into downtown mammoth to get pizza/beer a couple times. You can park right across the street near the fire station and walk over.

There is a great place to get firewood in town that smells amazing and is really cheap.

If you can make time during the week to find some hot springs, thats always a great time.

Contact me if you have any questions, I would love to help! Im not sure if you have instagram but ill send you some videos of some pretty cool places we went to!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tatum&Honda4thewin said:

Hey GD, 

Im looking for input on a planning a trip to do some riding, fishing, beer drinking and relaxing in Mammoth from Aug 16th or 17th to the 23rd or 24th. So far what I have seen is Sherwin creek campground is a nice spot or glass creek campground. Maybe there is better? Free is nice but don't mind paying if the area can meet by "needs" listed below. 

Im looking for a place where I can camp(~26ft bumper pull toy hauler) and not be overcrowded by rigs parked in like sardines and let my dog run around without being told to keep her on a leash. We like to have our "own space" unless we are camping with people we know. As of now, it just me, the fiance and dog. Dry camping is fine- don't need hook ups, toilets or any of that. 

Am I able to ride from glass creek to mammoth down the 395 or are rzrs not allowed on the road? We're from AZ- plated and street legal here , but know CA is not as lax and I am sure Ill need to buy some helmets too for the riding. 

Basically looking for info from any of you that have been here? The do's and dont's. Will I be able to get a spot showing up on a friday night or sat morning? We'd like to be able to drive the rzr everywhere from camp so I dint have to unhook the truck and don't want to be "trailering" to any trails. Hows the weather in aug? Leave windows open in trailer or will AC be needed during day?

 Lets hear it fam, thanks for any info/help! And if anyone is going to be there during that time- LETS RIDE!

 

No riding on any streets with SXS in California. There are trails all over from Bishop to June Lake. Get a map. Free camping around Lake Crowley and you should find a place to let your dogs run around. 

Edited by ahipara 55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tatum&Honda4thewin said:

Hey GD, 

Im looking for input on a planning a trip to do some riding, fishing, beer drinking (you gotta go and check out the breweries in town, especially the one on the back side of June Lake) and relaxing in Mammoth from Aug 16th or 17th to the 23rd or 24th. So far what I have seen is Sherwin creek campground is a nice spot or glass creek campground. Maybe there is better? Free is nice but don't mind paying if the area can meet by "needs" listed below. 

Im looking for a place where I can camp(~26ft bumper pull toy hauler) (Glass creek has very large spots and is easy to navigate through) and not be overcrowded by rigs parked in like sardines and let my dog run around without being told to keep her on a leash. We like to have our "own space" unless we are camping with people we know. As of now, it just me, the fiance and dog. Dry camping is fine- don't need hook ups, toilets or any of that (Glass Creek is no hook ups and we were pretty selective on when to run the generator cause its very quite and wide open)

Am I able to ride from glass creek to mammoth down the 395 or are rzrs not allowed on the road? We're from AZ- plated and street legal here , but know CA is not as lax and I am sure Ill need to buy some helmets too for the riding. 

Basically looking for info from any of you that have been here? The do's and dont's. Will I be able to get a spot showing up on a friday night or sat morning? (you will definitily get a spot, i have not seen it full and we were there labor day weekend) We'd like to be able to drive the rzr everywhere from camp so I dint have to unhook the truck and don't want to be "trailering" to any trails. Hows the weather in aug? Leave windows open in trailer or will AC be needed during day? (weather is beautiful but was a little warm in September during the day, we left the windows open for the dogs and it was fine)

 Lets hear it fam, thanks for any info/help! And if anyone is going to be there during that time- LETS RIDE!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RallyAlleigh said:

Glass creek for the win! We have spent our last 2 anniversary in Mammoth at Glass Creek and it was the best trip we ever had.  Its a beautiful FREE campground that you can ride in and out of that has a cute little creek full of trout!

From Glass Creek we road all way to June Lake, Mono Lake, Look out Mountain ( A Must!), If you like to shoot guns, ill send you the coordinates to a bad ass little open gun range that we road to near June Lake.

We also road all the way into downtown mammoth to get pizza/beer a couple times. You can park right across the street near the fire station and walk over.

There is a great place to get firewood in town that smells amazing and is really cheap.

If you can make time during the week to find some hot springs, thats always a great time.

Contact me if you have any questions, I would love to help! Im not sure if you have instagram but ill send you some videos of some pretty cool places we went to!

Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking to find on here! I appreciate the Info and have loads more questions :cheers:  

I’m on IG @nickc313 

I’d love to see your pics and vids so please hit me up on there when you can! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ahipara 55 said:

No riding on any streets with SXS in California. There are trails all over from Bishop to June Lake. Get a map. Free camping around Lake Crowley and you should find a place to let your dogs run around. 

Good to know. Guess we won’t be taking the highway into the town for beers- we will just have to find the trails that parallel it. But I’d imagine you see people crossing over the road tho to get to the other side. Wonder if they get hassled 

Will definitely be getting a map. Also have a few apps on the phone that are good at pulling up trails and info. 

Thanks for the info 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tatum&Honda4thewin said:

Good to know. Guess we won’t be taking the highway into the town for beers- we will just have to find the trails that parallel it. But I’d imagine you see people crossing over the road tho to get to the other side. Wonder if they get hassled 

Will definitely be getting a map. Also have a few apps on the phone that are good at pulling up trails and info. 

Thanks for the info 

 

I believe there are places along the 395 where you can get from one side to the other legally. They are like underpasses or large tubes that run under the road. They where marked on a trail map if I remember right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I believe there are places along the 395 where you can get from one side to the other legally. They are like underpasses or large tubes that run under the road. They where marked on a trail map if I remember right.

You believe correctly. Helpful to know where they are. Map......................

A good source for maps is Avenza maps. Download the App to phone. Download maps you want for area. You have to pay for the good ones. Places you via gps on maps just like your Nuvi or whatever gps you use. Some are digitized from paper maps. Pretty cool App.

Edited by ahipara 55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RallyAlleigh said:

Glass creek for the win! We have spent our last 2 anniversary in Mammoth at Glass Creek and it was the best trip we ever had.  Its a beautiful FREE campground that you can ride in and out of that has a cute little creek full of trout!

From Glass Creek we road all way to June Lake, Mono Lake, Look out Mountain ( A Must!), If you like to shoot guns, ill send you the coordinates to a bad ass little open gun range that we road to near June Lake.

We also road all the way into downtown mammoth to get pizza/beer a couple times. You can park right across the street near the fire station and walk over.

There is a great place to get firewood in town that smells amazing and is really cheap.

If you can make time during the week to find some hot springs, thats always a great time.

Contact me if you have any questions, I would love to help! Im not sure if you have instagram but ill send you some videos of some pretty cool places we went to!

That's good info. I know we fished that creek some when we would stay at Deadman's.

BTW, came across your "new boat" thread on BD the other day. Nice ride. Today would have been a perfect day to scoot over to Catalina and kill big yellowtail in that thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tatum&Honda4thewin said:

Good to know. Guess we won’t be taking the highway into the town for beers- we will just have to find the trails that parallel it. But I’d imagine you see people crossing over the road tho to get to the other side. Wonder if they get hassled 

Will definitely be getting a map. Also have a few apps on the phone that are good at pulling up trails and info. 

Thanks for the info 

 

When we went into town, where the fire station is, we asked a cop if we could cross over just to get to the parking lot and he allowed us!

 

Ok so if you look at satellite images, there is a ton of dirt trails that end and start at the 395 that cross over... we used those many times. There was ALOT of people using those crossing. Are they legal, I have no idea.

The picture I attached below shows where we went for Pizza and Gas... the sheriffs station is bottom right. We came in from the Top side of the image off dirt roads.

 

ALL of the trails around mammoth are marked really really well... it would be hard to get lost.

 

Let me know if you wanna buy a GPS prior to our trip! Even a little Elite 5 would make your trip AMAZING because you can choose a new trail everyday and have ZERO worries about not being able to find your way back. You can also add a ton of coordinates you find on google images of cool places to go, i heard there is some waterfalls back there!

 

Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spize909 said:

That's good info. I know we fished that creek some when we would stay at Deadman's.

BTW, came across your "new boat" thread on BD the other day. Nice ride. Today would have been a perfect day to scoot over to Catalina and kill big yellowtail in that thing!

I caught a couple trout in that creek and cooked them for breakfast! so fun!

We love the new boat!!! We got our first yellow tail our first trip out to the muscle farm! Have not got ballsy enough to go to Catalina in our little boat but maybe soon! hahah

fish.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RallyAlleigh said:

Glass creek for the win! We have spent our last 2 anniversary in Mammoth at Glass Creek and it was the best trip we ever had.  Its a beautiful FREE campground that you can ride in and out of that has a cute little creek full of trout!

From Glass Creek we road all way to June Lake, Mono Lake, Look out Mountain ( A Must!), If you like to shoot guns, ill send you the coordinates to a bad ass little open gun range that we road to near June Lake.

We also road all the way into downtown mammoth to get pizza/beer a couple times. You can park right across the street near the fire station and walk over.

There is a great place to get firewood in town that smells amazing and is really cheap.

If you can make time during the week to find some hot springs, thats always a great time.

Contact me if you have any questions, I would love to help! Im not sure if you have instagram but ill send you some videos of some pretty cool places we went to!

Spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RallyAlleigh said:

I caught a couple trout in that creek and cooked them for breakfast! so fun!

We love the new boat!!! We got our first yellow tail our first trip out to the muscle farm! Have not got ballsy enough to go to Catalina in our little boat but maybe soon! hahah

fish.png

Nice fish! Mussel farm is a new thing to me. That wasn't there when I use to ply these waters. I've heard it consistently holds yellows. Fall is your friend. Mild Santa Anas (emphasis on mild) will make for smooth sailing to Cat and beyond. This time a year watch the forecast, leave at first light and return before 2 pm and you're good most days.

As for Mammoth, we gave up camping years ago and stay at the Seasons 4 condos. Google it. You can get a unit that sleeps 4 for $150 a night or one that will sleep 10 for $200 or so. Take the free shuttle to town and back. Pool, spa, sauna, game room...….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out my trip to Glass Creek! it was amazing one of the best places I ever rode 

Fishing 30' from my camp 

IMG_1979.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Mikey, what's the set up you use for Mazzi in the Can Am?  Looks like a harness & leash but what's the white thing she was resting her paws on in front of the seat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 7:03 PM, SoCalJ said:

Big Mikey, what's the set up you use for Mazzi in the Can Am?  Looks like a harness & leash but what's the white thing she was resting her paws on in front of the seat?

I put a small blanket folded so she could lean on me and look threw the same window as me when we hit high speeds

IMG_2058.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

IWe’ve been up here in Mammoth for the past week. 

We have a 43’ Toy Hauler so Glass Creek or Deadman’s wouldn’t fit us unless we didn’t mind holes poked in our RV from tree branches  

Campsites were all full anyway.  Rangers said Wednesday’s are the best times to maybe find camping spots . 

We dry camped at Browns Owens river Campground. Reservations suggested it’s real popular with bikers, film crews, fisherfolk, snowmobilers and OHV’ers  

$33 per nite, no hookups but plenty of room.  Usually sold out year round so hold that thought. Easy in and out. Direct access to trails. Not to be confused with Browntown RV park  in town  

$33 is steep, not for everyone but works for us.  Bears will visit so take precautions. Leo’s will write you an expensive ticket if you don’t.

Generator hours  8 AM to 10 PM but if you have the super quiet you can bend the rules a bit if no tent campers are near by. 

Laurel lakes run trail is a good mid-skill level route but the steep drops on a narrow trail is not for those with phobias or not set up for rock crawls though easy rock crawls IMHO . Evidently not for everyone  

Then trail 1S05 to Bald mountain lookout is a great run too. Several dog leg trails off this route to points of interest. 

Traveling up the 395 from Kramer Jct (58/395) are very few diesel stops that easily accommodate big RV rigs.  So plan your fuel consumption ahead  I carry an extra 10 gals diesel just in case.  

We top off at the Pilot at Kramer jct and can make it to Mammoth on a tankful.  

Ft Independence has a casino with a fuel station and may accommodate bigger THs.   The Shell station at the North end of Bishop along the 395 might work too.

2BDAB224-2447-4921-B1A9-958467DB79B1.jpeg

About 10.000 ft the X3s and Rzr turbo performed excellent: 

4402EABC-2045-4AE0-9818-AA39F2767AC1.jpeg

6E3FD92F-3C99-481B-83C2-A766DFE49A1F.jpeg

Fully stocked cabin with padded bunks for free for trail visitors to Bald mountain lookout  

Mammoth hot pools4144466F-5A62-43CF-81E1-6F0FFBC70D3C.thumb.jpeg.303f6dce54690535f0a9d0c5c73d1b03.jpeg

EEB2B6D0-76B3-4B12-84A2-C60D5D0689BE.jpeg

DDFE5144-80B0-4FDF-9B60-BC5423465B44.jpeg

C49126BF-A565-4569-8FC8-340014565176.jpeg

Edited by Dune Bandits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dune Bandit, this is great info, specially if Glass Creek is full  do you have the coordinates for the Hot spring, we would love that to be a destination!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Big Mikey said:

Thanks Dune Bandit, this is great info, specially if Glass Creek is full  do you have the coordinates for the Hot spring, we would love that to be a destination!

 

Get the trail map at the visitors center or NPS Ranger station. 

Avenza app is helpful too. 

Incidental short SXS blasts on the streets proved no problem with the LEOs  but you can pretty much reach everything by trail.   

No body contact with the hot springs for the boiling temps would be fatal. Leave the dog in the vehicle or it may become the next number on the death sign tally. 

Only serious whoops for any annoying distance we encountered were on the west side of the 395. Short bursts of small whoops occasionally on the East side  trails. 

We averaged 65 to 85 MPH on the trails until a few close calls with deer and cattle jumping into the road. We then cut way back.  

Every food  joint in Mammoth is very expensive with just ok food. All way understaffed, all slow motion hippy stoner attitudes. 

Tigers caters to Vegans  and pours the best bloody Mary’s . 

Dunno if I’d drive through town on a SxS  and ya don’t want the Leos rolling you if you’ve been drinking. 

7AA51DEE-B7F0-41BD-A41A-41BA6CD3C876.thumb.jpeg.4ef46da138507c0cbb92aa0fcd1845be.jpeg

 

1C67708B-A44B-4958-AC9A-9B15B939FDBF.jpeg

C44F1F02-54EA-437B-8CBF-C90BE2DECB9D.jpeg

Edited by Dune Bandits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...