WaPaWeKkA

Ebay Sellers

Are there any ebay sellers on here?

I sell stuff from time to time. Just got done cleaning out the garage and had some stuff to sell. What is the deal with shipping? It suggested a price that the buyer would pay and when I finally went to ship it, it was way more expensive. Anybody got any idea how to get shipped stuff cheaper? You pay a final fee on the item and now on the shipping cost? Ebay seems like it's nickling and diming you left and right.

Originally Ebay only charged the Final Value fee on the selling price. Shipping wasn't included. They ended that once they realized sellers were listing $100 items for $5 and charging $95 for shipping. 

When I was selling heavily on Ebay my product fit in flat rate envelopes or flate rate boxes so calculating shipping costs was easy for me. Sorry but I don't know how to answer your question.  

If you add the correct package size, weight, and shipping choice, it's accurate. I haven't sold for a long time but had my item boxed up, ready to ship but unsealed just in case the buyer wanted another picture or had a question.

This might help, go here https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator?_trkparms=clkid=2521745375397262459    and it will tell you how much the freight is before you list it. Also ship thru ebay and they will give you a discount on your shipping. On your my ebay page just chick ship on the right side and it will take you to the shipping page and will take the shipping out of your pay pal acount. You don't even have to go to the post office, just print the label and put it in your out going mail. It also sends the buyer a tracking number. DON~~~

You need to update the package size and weight every dang time or it defaults to your last setting. My experience anyway.

Shipnex......

I ship EVERYTHING though Shipnex.

Just today wife stopped by UPS to ship a box to our daughter in Waco. They quoted $96.00 Shipnex was $46.00.

Exact same service. You drop off at Fedex or UPS with shippeing label ready to go.

I'll have to look into Shipnex the next time I ship.

In the past, I've used USPS Click n Ship and used Flat Rate envelopes or Regional Rate box A or B. A is a little larger than a small flat rate box and B is roughly the same size as a medium flat rate box. The regional rate boxes ship for about 2/3 of the corresponding flat rate boxes. For example, I could fit 20 lbs of heavy stuff into a Regional Rate Box B and ship it to AZ for about $9.50 instead of the $14.89 of a medium flat rate box. (I just made up those numbers, but they're close to actual costs.) You have to order the boxes online and delivered, but they're free.

For Ebay specific shipments, it seems like the discounted shipping price was about  the same as the Click n Ship price, for lighter items it seemed like Ebay was cheaper. The flat rate advantage comes in with heavier items.

I sold a 65 lb office printer to a friend of mine and he shipped it back to Chicago. Our employer has a contract for UPS 2nd day air, so supposedly we get a big discount but that was a lot more than he wanted to spend. However, he got charged about $105 to ship it from LA to Chicago via UPS ground. Shipnex would have charged him $57.03 for ground, so that's definitely a lot cheaper for heavier stuff. 

eBay selling fees are crazy. 

I sold a 750$ item and got charged 96$ fees

30 minutes ago, CONCEPT Thomas said:

Don't forget PayPal fees

13 hours ago, ahipara 55 said:

Shipnex......

I ship EVERYTHING though Shipnex.

Just today wife stopped by UPS to ship a box to our daughter in Waco. They quoted $96.00 Shipnex was $46.00.

Exact same service. You drop off at Fedex or UPS with shippeing label ready to go.

I'm curious, does Shipnex actually pickup at Fedex and UPS, or does the package gt shipped by Fedex or UPS and Shipnex just gives a big discount?

15 hours ago, Legit Duner said:

You need to update the package size and weight every dang time or it defaults to your last setting. My experience anyway.

Just put a set price and and you won't have to deal with it. DON~~~

2 hours ago, Legit Duner said:

Don't forget PayPal fees

2 hours ago, CONCEPT Thomas said:

I agree but I have stuff I can't find buyers anywhere else. DON~~~

32 minutes ago, donparscale said:

Just put a set price and and you won't have to deal with it. DON~~~

I don’t want to over shoot the price and prevent people from buying the product. 

2 minutes ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

I don’t want to over shoot the price and prevent people from buying the product. 

In the past, I've looked up the actual selling price for the item and set my price $1 lower, that usually works. You don't lose any money, and you don't scare anyone away.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, donparscale said:

I agree but I have stuff I can't find buyers anywhere else. DON~~~

3 hours ago, CONCEPT Thomas said:

12.8 % .  I sell  on ebay a lot .(Anywhere from 4-5 tubs of packages and envelopes daily)..and rule of thumb is 13% + 3-3.5 % for Paypal..  It's online presence cannot be denied.. I started my website in hopes of funneling sales there & saving the fees.. It took about 3-4 years for a noticeable transition.. Now my website does outsell ebay.. Started selling on Amazon a couple years back. That is a tough nut to crack . the sales on there are pretty minimal to date.. We are doubling back to do some updates pictures, content, and SEO, to hopefully raise our sales on that platform next.

Edited by SCHMIDTY