Sign in to follow this  

Wife and I are looking to maybe get away from our bumper pull to something different. Tested out a motorhome but wasn't sold on that. Now considering a 30ft 5th wheel but I need some info.

Is it really possible/advisable to ride in a 5th wheel while being towed? How's the ride? Does it require a special hitch setup?

Roughly, what's it gonna cost me for the hitch and other items to setup my truck to pull a 5th wheel?

Any particular 5th wheel brands or models you recommend?

You can legally go down the road with passengers in a 5th wheel as long as they can signal the driver. A cellphone would satisfy this old old requierment. 

That being said, I wouldn't let anyone I care about ride in one. No seatbelts, no airbags, no crash standards and every trailer I've ever seen crash looked like toothpicks and insulation.

I had a friend back in the 90's that rode in a 5th wheel to Glamis. He said it was frightening to see how much the roof and walls moved. 

We used to do it as kids all the time until my dad had both passenger tires blow out and it threw my friend and I across the trailer when it happened. My mom said hell no after that. 

Like SP said, I wouldn’t do it. 

My dad is in the process of buying a 5th wheel. It’s a Grand Design Solitude S. I think 3350 is the model number. Gonna tow it with a 2011 Dodge Mega cab. He got a Pullrite Superglide off racedezert for $1000 and is going to do a complete compressor/air bag combo for about $900. The truck already had the rails in the bed but that would cost you around $600 if you didn’t.    Brake controller if you didn’t have one $150. I’d say you could have the truck completely set up for around $2500.

Andrew

I have a Reese 16K slider hitch I'm not using any more. I'm thinking $300 is a good deal. You'd have to get rails installed in your bed, but that's something you'd have a hitch shop do no matter what brand you buy. When I had my bed rails installed, they only charged me $300 total, parts and labor. 

What 5ver you get depends entirely on how much you want to spend. If you want newer, fancier models, you can spend $65k - 80k on that size. If you want cheaper, then an older, less fancy model is what you'll have to look for.

Me personally, I'm not trying to impress anyone with how new or what fancy cherry cabinets I have. I like older, oak looking cabinets just fine. They all have a fridge, stove, microwave, shower, beds, etc, so the cherry cabinet wood or fancy glass bowl bathroom sink doesn't make me any happier. I tend to install my own options: inverter, LED lights, lots of batteries, HD sat dish, 5.1 surround sound, 102" projector screen, HD projector, HD LCD TVs everywhere, vent fans, remote control 12v ceiling fan, 110v air compressor, USB outlets, digital thermostat, fridge fans, etc. That's the kind of stuff that makes life easier and keeps me happy.