Ecobraap

Too much HP

Not sure how many will actually be able to chime in but...

In a pure duning situation, not drag racing, and i know it would change per car depending on size and suspension 

What is the level of HP before its too much to make you go faster?  Not talking about fun level and being able to have extra power but what is range that you and your skill level can handle 500? 600, 800

my last EPO race I ever did was ran at 650hp and car weighs 2200. at my skill level I could have used a little bit more power (but my boost controller wasn't working)

in the dunes my 650 is all I need,  then I also have another Funco for sale and it is 1800lbs and has about 400 hp. that is a sweet spot for that car.  maybe 500 max.

What is the level of HP before its too much to make you go faster? 

Not talking about fun level and being able to have extra power but what is range that you and your skill level can handle 500? 600, 800

Not having ANY sand car experience, only having been a passenger...

I think a Car with an ECO-Tech or NA Honda V6 would be a GREAT / FUN Motor for a guy like me. Anything more might get me in trouble being a NEWB in a Sand Rail.

Kinda wish 650HP was still a GD Member to see what his answer would be :lol:

I have only driven a car with 480hp. nothing more.  I certainly didn't feel I needed anymore.  My current car is 400hp, I wish I had another 50hp.  Both of these were in Gen 4 Funco's, so weight was just under 2000lbs.  

In a pure duning situation I could pull way from two other cars in my group with the exact same chassis and setup, having a basically stock LS1 from Turnkey.  One car has a 4.0 whipple on a CBM 425 and the other a smaller magnuson on an LS2.   The whippled car pulls the tires off the ground too easily and has to get off the throttle too often.  I'm shifting between 2nd & 3rd like a madman and running above 4500 rpm for an extended period of time to gap them.  They are both very very skilled drivers with one having lots of Baja racing experience and the other being a Dwarf car racer.  The smaller blown LS2 car has an easier time keeping up as he can push his car without constantly wheelie-ing.  I upgraded to a stroked LS3 and am very very happy with the car.   I can still drive it as hard as I want and never feel like I need more power.  I also no longer feel like I don't have enough.  We've had this same exact discussion that you're bringing up: how much is too much to the point where you can't drive the car hard in the dunes.  I think that number is just north of 700-750.  These three cars are 2500 or so pound 2-seat prerunner chassis. 

Edited by evantwheeler

I give you the first real man answer. You can not have to much horse power. 

There is a pedal you push on that controls the amount of power you put to the ground so I don't agree with to much power to dune. There's even a clip of Pont's rocket (can't remember its name) on a dune run. 

On a 2300-2800lb car 600-700hp thru an S4 934 drive train is a ton of reliable fun. A reliable drive train is much more enjoyable then max power and constant repairs. 

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

On a 2300-2800lb car 600-700hp thru an S4 934 drive train is a ton of reliable fun. A reliable drive train is much more enjoyable then max power and constant repairs. 

Amen.

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I give you the first real man answer. You can not have to much horse power. 

There is a pedal you push on that controls the amount of power you put to the ground so I don't agree with to much power to dune. There's even a clip of Pont's rocket (can't remember its name) on a dune run. 

hmmm then why does my sequential rand pinion need to be replace every two years? im at that hp level but the rebuilders say they cant believe it too.  i must be doing something wrong

3 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

hmmm then why does my sequential rand pinion need to be replace every two years? im at that hp level but the rebuilders say they cant believe it too.  i must be doing something wrong

You also break Funcos, I think the main reason is the first word in this sentence. :lol:

5 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Have you seen how you drive.  can't believe you get two years.  lol

There is a point where there is too much horse power.  when you are lifting your tires all the time and when the boost hits and the car just wants to go straight.   Had a 1200hp tatum was a fun car but my current car with 600hp is more fun to drive in the dunes.   I think the sweet spot is the 700-800 hp range.   My next engine might just be a LSA with some upgrades.  I have one in my CTSV and with bolt ons and cam with pump gas seeing 580 at the wheels.  on e85   650 to the wheels on a mustang dyno.  Lots of fun in a street car  I think that would be in the sweet spot range for a sand car and very affordable for that much Hp.  600hp is real fun and very close to enough but another 100 would be better.  

5 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

Not having ANY sand car experience, only having been a passenger...

I think a Car with an ECO-Tech or NA Honda V6 would be a GREAT / FUN Motor for a guy like me. Anything more might get me in trouble being a NEWB in a Sand Rail.

Kinda wish 650HP was still a GD Member to see what his answer would be :lol:

I like my Honda of course car is light but power to weight ratio is good and easier on parts. I don't care to be fastest at drags or hill just like reliable with enough power. 

Ive got a stock 6.0 with LS3 heads and cam so lets call it 400. Some people have asked me how much power I'm putting to the wheels and I say the eff if I know it's enough to spin them. So in our 2500lb car I feel 400 is quite enough. I'd be more impressed with a car's ability to roll out of a witch's eye intact than how much power it has. We're not much into speed but rather just having a good time while being able to use the car again in a few more weeks. I also don't like to excessively work on things so keeping it stock for me was the key. 

7 hours ago, fortyfour said:

Ive got a stock 6.0 with LS3 heads and cam so lets call it 400. Some people have asked me how much power I'm putting to the wheels and I say the eff if I know it's enough to spin them. So in our 2500lb car I feel 400 is quite enough. I'd be more impressed with a car's ability to roll out of a witch's eye intact than how much power it has. We're not much into speed but rather just having a good time while being able to use the car again in a few more weeks. I also don't like to excessively work on things so keeping it stock for me was the key. 

you can have 800 HP and be very reliable 600 is easy to get and maintenance is no more than a stock engine.   For some people there is never enough

36 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

you can have 800 HP and be very reliable 600 is easy to get and maintenance is no more than a stock engine.   For some people there is never enough

I'm one of those guys... 

6 minutes ago, Supreme Air said:

I'm one of those guys... 

Yes you are!!!  Thank goodness if it wasn't for duners like you we would never get to see all those sweet rides you build and beat on.  Keep it up Aaron can't wait to see what is next.  

6 hours ago, Squatcher said:

I don't have an Albins, a stroker, forged pistons, turbos, Howe steering, 8 into 1 exhaust, 934 cvs, 35s, CBM anything, a KATG body and I've never camped at RR.  In fact I'm not so sure I'm even  worthy enough to post my opinion around here without those things. What was I thinking...

Edited by fortyfour

12 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

It's just mental masturbation to throw around all of these hp numbers on the internet. I don't have an Albins, a stroker, forged pistons, turbos, Howe steering, 8 into 1 exhaust, 934 cvs, 35s, CBM anything, a KATG body and I've never camped at RR.  In fact I'm not so sure I'm even  worthy enough to post my opinion around here without those things. What was I thinking...

First off RR isn't what it's made out to be. 2nd this is just talk, it really doesn't matter what you got (unless it's a SxS) :lol:

Some of my best memories are when I slept in my truck bed and rode my 250R. I'd give my car, trailer and motorhome away to have my 27 year old body back and ride my quad.

it's all about chasing that ride.

5 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

First off RR isn't what it's made out to be. 2nd this is just talk, it really doesn't matter what you got (unless it's a SxS) :lol:

Some of my best memories are when I slept in my truck bed and rode my 250R. I'd give my car, trailer and motorhome away to have my 27 year old body back and ride my quad.

Yes I know. Somebody has to :1cheff:once in a while. I couldn't find the popcorn eating emoji.

18 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

Yes I know. Somebody has to :1cheff:once in a while. I couldn't find the popcorn eating emoji.

:moof:

2 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Simple times   Ohhh back in the day we had even more fun it think.  

I would say with a properly set up car around 2000lbs 500hp would be great. Heavier cars need more hp to be equally fun.

For me...I've found that regardless of type of vehicle or motorcycle, the magic 'fun' number is 4 lbs per HP. I've had smaller/lighter rails and bigger rails with LS as well as roadrarce cars, hotrods and cafe bikes. Unless doing truck pulls or drag racing, 4lbs per HP ratio is enough to get in trouble and still have fun at any moment. Beyond that I found it gets to be more effort to maintain control/manage staying on the controlled side of the edge. Don't get me wrong though, more HP and peeking over the edge to know where it's at IS a charge! pucker factor :) lol.

2 hours ago, xtream1 said:

For me...I've found that regardless of type of vehicle or motorcycle, the magic 'fun' number is 4 lbs per HP. I've had smaller/lighter rails and bigger rails with LS as well as roadrarce cars, hotrods and cafe bikes. Unless doing truck pulls or drag racing, 4lbs per HP ratio is enough to get in trouble and still have fun at any moment. Beyond that I found it gets to be more effort to maintain control/manage staying on the controlled side of the edge. Don't get me wrong though, more HP and peeking over the edge to know where it's at IS a charge! pucker factor :) lol.

interesting way to think about it.  So 750hp in a 3000 lb prerunner or 500hp in a 2000 lb funco...….. seems pretty accurate.

3 hours ago, xtream1 said:

My math exactly! Now back in the day my j&j midengine weighed 750lbs and my n/a 2332 vw was 200hp. Better power to weight and quicker out of the hole. That power to weight in a bigger sand car would be pretty awesome!