SANDBAM

Twin Turbo Funco Rehab

Glad you made it through your ordeal.

After you play with it and if race gas is to much of a pain (been there and done that) maybe consider re-tuning with Flex fuel. 50-54% ethanol and close to E85 for what it can do. Especially a boosted motor. So nice to pull up to the pump and fill up. When I switched over there were some big power guys that had switched and didn't loose much at all. Even if you have to pull back a little it will still be stupid fun.

14 hours ago, pinnedcr250f said:

Props on one sweet Funco refresh and the vision putting it together. Glad to hear you recovered from your accident. Have fun and might be best to stick to the sand dunes rather than snow, less trees out here.

Thanks for the reply 

This car has been a real life saver - looking forward to getting to know her better 

Haven’t decided if snowboarding is in my future - if I go again I’m staying in the middle of the run 👍🏼

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, onanysunday said:

Glad you made it through your ordeal.

After you play with it and if race gas is to much of a pain (been there and done that) maybe consider re-tuning with Flex fuel. 50-54% ethanol and close to E85 for what it can do. Especially a boosted motor. So nice to pull up to the pump and fill up. When I switched over there were some big power guys that had switched and didn't loose much at all. Even if you have to pull back a little it will still be stupid fun.

thanks for the kind words 

So true about pulling up to the pump - even so how available is  flex fuel  at pumps in Az  these days - 

I’ll run it as is and see what it’s all about - who do you recommend for tuning ?

i know Tim at Xact Dyno here in Az - anyone else?

Edited by SANDBAM

Glad to see you back on here posting. Something you mentioned hit home with me. I agree 100% your body will heal itself naturally. It's also funny to me the Sonny Bono comment. Everybody here is old enough to understand that. Had you posted on those Facebook forums, the kids would have no idea what you're talking about. 

The Funco is coming out bitchen. Have the shocks CeraKoted black vs powder coated. The look good and hold up better as well. Should be a fun car. 

2 hours ago, SANDBAM said:

thanks for the kind words 

So true about pulling up to the pump - even so how available is  flex fuel  at pumps in Az  these days - 

I’ll run it as is and see what it’s all about - who do you recommend for tuning ?

i know Tim at Xact Dyno here in Az - anyone else?

There are several places that carry it. I buy mine at Lake Pleasant parkway and Deer Valley rd. Another option for dyno tune would by my dads shop https://chucksspeedcenter.com/  Full dyno room with a Mustang dyno.  https://chucksspeedcenter.com/performance-tuning/

23 hours ago, hondajimz said:

Glad to see you back on here posting. Something you mentioned hit home with me. I agree 100% your body will heal itself naturally. It's also funny to me the Sonny Bono comment. Everybody here is old enough to understand that. Had you posted on those Facebook forums, the kids would have no idea what you're talking about. 

The Funco is coming out bitchen. Have the shocks CeraKoted black vs powder coated. The look good and hold up better as well. Should be a fun car. 

You’re right - not so funny how history gets lost on the future generations - they’d have no idea who he was - 

I’ll  check into CeraKote

WOW!

That's scary, but so glad you're here to tell this story!

Car looks awesome..can't wait to see what you do with it.

Congrats!

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2019 at 3:26 PM, dbart said:

WOW!

That's scary, but so glad you're here to tell this story!

Car looks awesome..can't wait to see what you do with it.

Congrats!

Thanks dale !

I really could use your help with some ideas - 

Edited by SANDBAM

Damn dude, I was wondering what ever happened to your buy and build threads.  Haha.  Congrats on cheating Mr. Death.  The ol Burns Pest car.  He had another rail with the same motor, I believe.  Unique package for sure.  E85 is still around in these parts.  And yes, at the pump. ;)

Hey bud, how is the recovery coming? That can sometimes be a slow painful process. Remember physical therapy is a valuable tool, and with that “no pain no gain” works hand in hand. Don’t give up, I know what it’s like having a life changing accident. 

How’s the car coming along? I’ve been enjoying the funco builds lately and I’m super curious on how the Buick motor does.  I’m a Buick motor fan. Keep us posted! 👍🏽

On 7/24/2019 at 9:37 PM, CHIZZLE said:

Damn dude, I was wondering what ever happened to your buy and build threads.  Haha.  Congrats on cheating Mr. Death.  The ol Burns Pest car.  He had another rail with the same motor, I believe.  Unique package for sure.  E85 is still around in these parts.  And yes, at the pump. ;)

Thanks chizzle- yes Al told me of the other motor - lots of neat details on this car he spared no expense on the build - looking forward to getting back in the sand - on the fuel I was concerned about the actual 85 content in the E85  

10 hours ago, B0NES said:

Hey bud, how is the recovery coming? That can sometimes be a slow painful process. Remember physical therapy is a valuable tool, and with that “no pain no gain” works hand in hand. Don’t give up, I know what it’s like having a life changing accident. 

How’s the car coming along? I’ve been enjoying the funco builds lately and I’m super curious on how the Buick motor does.  I’m a Buick motor fan. Keep us posted! 👍🏽

Thanks for kind words bones - recovery is complete - had final post op appointment yesterday and am 100% healed - no restrictions on living full life with full activity - have a 2mil kidney stone in the left kidney - doc says we’ keep an eye on it - he’s not too concerned - he gave me the option to act on it now or wait and monitor - I’m going to take a break and fill the money coffers - another appt in 6 months to see if it’s any different 

car is essentially ready for dunes - oil change happening this weekend - next steps for any changes are add the front half of roof and install shifter 

the motor is a beast - looking forward to seeing what it’s like with some seat time - will run it and see how it fits me - if it doesn’t work for me the plan would be to pull and swap with LS - then set in garage for future project -  because of the Duttweiler name history, tech, and knowledge that are in this engine - it makes it too valuable for me to let go of it at this point 

On 7/20/2019 at 9:46 AM, fullthrottleguy said:

Wow - so glad things turned out OK.. thats one heck of a recovery story - continued good health. 

Regarding the car - Nice car great powertrain combo. I Had a GN (car) when they were new and had Kenny Dutweiller go through the engine at 90,000 miles. He is pro and knew the engines inside and out. The engine pushed that car into the high 10 sec  1/4 in street trim with slicks and that car was a living room on wheels. The GN engine is an amazing piece.  I doubt a mild turbo LS would have done better in the car.  When built they usually have a wild TQ curve. Interested to see if yours is the same. Its like a light switch. Still lots of them out there, but only seem two in sand cars (yours included).

Thanks for your well wishes

yes he knows his stuff the torque hits hard in this car - as per the Dyno run - I will definitely be posting after driving - his work now with the Ls motors is pretty mind blowing as well - would love to have one of those too !

3 hours ago, SANDBAM said:

Thanks chizzle- yes Al told me of the other motor - lots of neat details on this car he spared no expense on the build - looking forward to getting back in the sand - on the fuel I was concerned about the actual 85 content in the E85  

Yeah, that's what I mean.  There are a couple of stations that are special ordering E85 that is right around 85%.  All of the other stations carry "Flex Fuel" which is 54ish%