Sign in to follow this  
big_daddy_jp

Pre trip inspections

Reading all these threads about troubles on the road. How often do you inspect your tow vehicles and trailers before you set out on a trip? 

Every trip, I failed to do it once and paid the price 

I check tires every time rig moves. I always poke my nose around the suspension and chassis. 

I do at least a walk around every single time I stop. Whether that is for fuel, food, groceries, etc... I do a more thorough look before each trip.

Andrew

I check the basics before each trip on the RV & trailer. Oil, water, trans, tires. After I’m pulled out of the drive and all hooked up, I turn on the lights and walk around, also making sure the trailer brake lights work. 

Then every time we leave camp to come home I check all the tires. Did not happen to me, but another in our group had a class C, he checked his tires and found his inner duel had picked up a screw or nail and only had 20-25 lbs in it. I’m sure that would have blown if he tried to drive home on it. Easier to change it at camp with friends vs on the highway by himself. 

Every trip and in between. i try to start my motorhome every few weeks. I also have it inspected every few trips (probably gets oil changes every 1k miles). Some of the tire blow out threads have made me more paranoid than usual (i am super anal about my vehicles,  no squeaks or squeals)

I check my rigs before every trip. Save yourself in the long run!

Posted (edited)

Being a commercial driver I'm used to doing a pre trip inspection, at work or at home it's become second nature....

Edited by The looney duner

15 hours ago, BLDrinker said:

I check tires every time rig moves. I always poke my nose around the suspension and chassis. 

Tire pressure is a big deal. I use a temp gun when I take a break on the road. It checks tires and wheel bearings. I also have a tire bat but I think the temp gun is the best. DON~~~

I am a freak about this - seen so many bad things happen. Beyond the normal maintenance,  trickle chargers, weekly start ups keeping tires covered I keep checklists for the MoHo, trailer, sand car etc. I date them - a week before I do the full oil, trans check and the suspension - loosing for loose anything or funky wear points like rust  or filings coming off a shackle etc. Look for checked boots and grease, I pump the bearing buddies on the trailer and do the light check and check the trailer hitch two . Day of I do the tires, look for cracks and separations. Too much air worse than too little when its hot and one quick walk around.   

I always make sure not to get gas before so I can stop in 20 miles or so and do the final walk around..

And with all this I still have had 3 blow outs in one season on my last Moho - thinking maybe the Plastic Jesus on the dash would work better... and open to suggestions how to do this better

Sometimes I go over board and check every little thing, grease everything, change all fluids, clean everything and be a nut about every nut. Other times I say screw it and hook up and go. But I always always always do several walk arounds before and on the road, and always at the top of the grade at the brake check area to make sure everything is hooked up properly, tight, and good. Then haul ass. 

I had one incident at 20 years old not double checking and the trailer hitch  wasn’t on properly. Trailer came off and lodged under my truck.  That’s when I learned. Knock on wood, never had an issue since. Not even a flat tire.      ...until I wrote this and now I’ll have issues I’m sure...

Posted (edited)

I always check fluids on tow vehicle, along with tires and 5th wheel hitch.

Toyhauler 5th wheel a week before I start up generator and let it run with a load ( this is done every month). I just wanna make sure it starts and idles correctly. I check tires and air pressure. Check oil, filter on genny. I usually just change the oil, air filter,  oil filter and fuel filter every year.  I also drain the fresh water ( I keep it full most of the year but it has a leak) and add some bleach and fill with water and drain, then fill up again.

I usually have gatherings at home and the men usually use the toyhauler's bathroom. When I dump approx 3 times a year and usually inspect the toyhauler suspension. 

I change the anode rod on the water heater once a year. 

I'm bad at charging batteries for quads although I have the toyhauler plugged in. 

I usually drive like 50 miles before my first stop. I do a quick walk around to look for tire tread separation,  flats, anything unusual.  I get in toyhauler and make sure everything is still tied down and adjust if needed. Usually nothing since I have pretty thick straps and no stretch.

Make sure all doors are closed.

Check tow vehicle tires again.

That's all I do. 

Now what I need to do is check the brakes on toyhauler and adjust or buy if needed. Lube the 5th wheel hitch. 

Edited by sinverguenza
Added info

I drive for a living and do a fluid and tire check everyday. I actually get under the truck most every weekend and do a very thorough inspection. 

due to past issues, of a 6.0 owner but now a 6.7, 

I do a quick precheck, due to the trailer being 47-foot and being around 20,000lbs, 

so I check, 

• air pressure, on trailer an truck most of the time trailer has a lower tire on the rears, 
  • lug nuts by hand 
  • and electric brake lines, last trailer had the wires broke time to time, 
  • battery water or when it smell like sulfur lol
  • and look at the spring perch when filling up the air on the tires
  • propane leak smell 
  • hatch doors secure 

Truck

• check tire psi
  • radiator fluid
  • intercooler fluid
  • rear end if any leaks  

I check and maintain stuff every trip.

Biggest issue is always trailer tires. 4 year old tires with less then 2k miles blow out. This is a pic of my spear tire with 110 miles on it. It blew out on the tire rack just as you see it in the pic. Second time I have had that happen. ST tires are a scam!

20190707_192300.thumb.jpg.baf58f2cd0eaf7bc78f6198d6373d53e.jpg

Next is trailer wheel bearings, the rear most axle will be where one dies first. 

30 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I check and maintain stuff every trip.

Biggest issue is always trailer tires. 4 year old tires with less then 2k miles blow out. This is a pic of my spear tire with 110 miles on it. It blew out on the tire rack just as you see it in the pic. Second time I have had that happen. ST tires are a scam!

20190707_192300.thumb.jpg.baf58f2cd0eaf7bc78f6198d6373d53e.jpg

Next is trailer wheel bearings, the rear most axle will be where one dies first. 

Whatever do you mean....?

50F25D45-EB04-49C1-8EEB-4EAB66440351.thumb.jpeg.87ba99983bca374f4ac477a907974cc3.jpeg

2.5 years old.

Are you guys overloading the weight the tires are rated to hold or are the tires under inflated? Or is it that the tires are just cheap? 

1 hour ago, big_daddy_jp said:

Are you guys overloading the weight the tires are rated to hold or are the tires under inflated? Or is it that the tires are just cheap? 

Not even close on over weight and properly inflated and 4 years old. I have a tire pressure monitoring system and the last tire I blew was at a correct pressure and was not overly hot, a few degrees hotter then the air temperature. In fact it had actually cooled down a couple of degrees. I no sooner got done looking at it a it blows out. It beat the shit out of the trailer and does close to a thousand dollars worth of damage to the car on the trailer. Yes the trailer has metal fenders. 

The spear was used 110 miles (the only time it ever was used) and put back on the rack and blew out hanging there several days later. 

The problem with both tires was molded on the side wall ST. It stands for Shit Tire.

I also had 2 LT tires shit the tread off and beat the shit out of my Box Trailer. Both where still at the proper pressure and cold even after the tread came off. One had gotten 20 miles down the road the other 4 miles. LT stands for Lousy Tire. 

I think I would lose my shit if that was me! I picture that old Discount tire commercial with that old lady throwing the tire through the window! I've ran Hercules tires on my trailers for years. They have held up really well.

16 hours ago, big_daddy_jp said:

Weight was fine, inflation was fine.  Tires are cheap is definitely part of it.  Other part is STs are only rated to 60mph, so the 65-70 we were doing once we got out of the PRC didn't help.

On my flatbed, I just threw some 225/75R15Es on there and called it a day.  Supposedly overkill for the axles, but these tires are about the same weight as 7000lbs of LT tires would be.

Also when you buy tires make sure they are fresh. Check the DOT number on the tires, it tells you when the tire was made. I also buy tires that will carry more weight that I need. DON~~~

Caught this in my pre-trip inspection on Sunday.  New tire is on order.

Genesis tire.JPG

Tire pressure, every trip.

Lights every trip.

Truck, get in and go. 

Buggy....  that is a whole different story.  :)