Squatcher

Off to Lake Powell Monday. Any fishing tips

Family is stoked and so am I.  it has been way to long since I have been there.  Motorhome, boat and toys on lone rock.   Anyone have any fishing tips my kids has to catch a fish.  After spending $900 in alaska to catch salmon and getting nothing he needs some fish.  soft pretzel worked at Lake pleasant last week but he needs some real fishing.  Anchovies the best thing up there.?  Also any parts of the lake better than others.  

Damn I'm going out aug 2nd. As for fishing we have had good luck on the west side of lone rock(left side of it looking from shore. Park boat about 50 ft off cast out cut anchovy let it drift down. Morning or evening has worked well. 

For day trips Navajo canyon is cool there's a sand dune way back good beach hang out and Can be great fishing too. If you got a full day take a run to escalate to cathedral in the desert nice scenery stop at dangling rope for ice cream and gas. 

yes I plan on filling up with fuel and just going for a couple of days of cruising.  perfect for lone rock fishing.  Darn think we are leaving on the 1st.  just going to miss you.  been years cant wait to make it a yearly trip again. 

For small mouth, the southern rocky shores work well. Find a relatively shallow rock shoals 10-20’ deep, rapalas and rattle traps work well.

for striper, on the main channels and deeper canyons, find shaded rock ledges (where shadow extends over the water about 20+ft from face of rock cliffs, drop anchovie with moderate weight straight down in shadow. Count down every 5 seconds stop for a min or so at each depth (this will give you an idea of how deep they are). Once you start catching fish, fish at those depths

catfish is easy, chicken livers (may catch striper too) stink bait worms or really anything with weight and leader about 1-2ft. Fish bottom off back you parked boat. 

Blue gill are easy, lunch meats, or meal works on small gauge j hooks, work shallows near rock ledges and/or vegetation. Bobbers make it fun for kids

thanks for the tips.  the 5 yr old doesn't have much patience for fishing but wants to go every time.  11yr old is fishing crazy.  I know there will be a line in the water at camp every night.  lol

54 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

thanks for the tips.  the 5 yr old doesn't have much patience for fishing but wants to go every time.  11yr old is fishing crazy.  I know there will be a line in the water at camp every night.  lol

WE used to do powell biyearly. We always Had a last night fish fry with all the fish we caught/kept. We usually average. 60-70 striper, catfish, smallmouth. Stop at bass pro shop on the way up and grab some fish batter. Have a blast, i miss powell. Cant wait to take my family. We are planning for 2020

Hey Paul my neighbor just came back from there with his family, his son in law is a professional fisherman said he had his kids 7 and 9 using worms and throwing them at the dam with no weight just letting them float down and was nailing the fish. He said it was like that all day long said they were nice size striper. Good luck 

sounds good.  I told my 11yr that we will CATCH fish up there.  Promised we weren't leaving till he caught some fish.  Didn't think I was going to have a problem keeping him happy.      How about Lone rock beach with the pusher and trailer.  I shouldn't have a problem correct?  People I have asked said no problem.   It has been 8 years since I have taken my family up there really hoping dunes in the winter and powell in the summer. 

1 hour ago, Squatcher said:

sounds good.  I told my 11yr that we will CATCH fish up there.  Promised we weren't leaving till he caught some fish.  Didn't think I was going to have a problem keeping him happy.      How about Lone rock beach with the pusher and trailer.  I shouldn't have a problem correct?  People I have asked said no problem.   It has been 8 years since I have taken my family up there really hoping dunes in the winter and powell in the summer. 

Should be fine the sand can be soft.Theres usually a path you can follow where the pavement ends that is firm to drive on that will get you to the beach.One end of the beach is very soft(The eastern side towards wawheap or right side looking towards water)The west side  is firmer as you will see more motorhomes.If not sure get out and walk the area.Normally my family takes mohos and trailers and havent had any issues in 35 years getting stuck.

If you take the path from pavement to the water it will be firm along the beach.There is also a dump and water refill there too it is located by the gate entry as you enter pass the gate its onthe left hand side.The end of the beach where its soft does have better beach though but overall the whole place is good.

Thanks that is how I remember it but never brought a pusher down there.  going to be nice that the water level is up 51 feet

Grab a few packs of senko plastics and rig them wacky style. From first timers to professional, it's the easiest way to catch bass.

Capture+_2019-07-21-12-22-22.png

I don't fish but I sure am jealous! I went to lake Powell when I was a kid. Whole family, house boat, ski boat and had a blast! I think we left out of Wahweep? Not sure of spelling. Had some rough water from weather so we only went to rainbow bridge. What a blast!

Damm I thought going to the dunes was a lot of prep.   Boat check,  Canam, quads, tables, gen, scuba tanks, air compressor  ............packed.  now moho is 50% done then hooking truck to toys and moho to boat.  oh yea fix my rear AC in moho that my wife just told me is bad.  

few trips to the store for last min stuff.   AC fixed,  Power cord fixed, Moho loaded.  few last things and off in the morning.  Ill post up some fish pics guys thanks for the advise.    bet I have a thread when I come back about Houseboat ownership.   lol

On 7/21/2019 at 8:05 PM, Squatcher said:

few trips to the store for last min stuff.   AC fixed,  Power cord fixed, Moho loaded.  few last things and off in the morning.  Ill post up some fish pics guys thanks for the advise.    bet I have a thread when I come back about Houseboat ownership.   lol

Well? How was it?

Boat and Can AM...how you getting it all there? Boat fit in the stacker?

Cut up a hot dog and put them on a hook.  The channel cats were all over them, perfect for kids that have zero patience.

This worked well for every part of Lake Powell.

Have fun !

If you are big into fishing and are going to Lake Powell, go to this site https://wayneswords.net/

The message board is filled with anything you need to know, I have been on Powell over 20 times, by far one of the best vacations ever for a family.

Cheese on a hook.....We caught everything ….even a pissed off pike that had mean teeth. didn't want to go wakeboarding after that:rbj:

Fishing wasn't what I expected.  we only caught a few a day if that.   They told me that the water was too hot.  planning next years trip early june.  I will do a post on the whole trip.

24 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

Fishing wasn't what I expected.  we only caught a few a day if that.   They told me that the water was too hot.  planning next years trip early june.  I will do a post on the whole trip.

Only problem with Early June (especially if you staying at Lone Rock), plan on moving every couple of days due to the water rise.

This time of year for fishing, go to get 50 ft down against sheer walls for Striper.  Chum with Anchovies near the dam always works.

Hope you had fun.

39 minutes ago, Cookie said:

Only problem with Early June (especially if you staying at Lone Rock), plan on moving every couple of days due to the water rise.

This time of year for fishing, go to get 50 ft down against sheer walls for Striper.  Chum with Anchovies near the dam always works.

Hope you had fun.

I went though about 10 bags of anchovies.  We had a blast caught about 6 stripers but that was enough for this trip.  I forgot about the water level rise early june.  shit I guess a house boat might be in order.