AZDUNERAT

People rant

I swear every time have to move a tenant out I loose faith in humanity. After 10 years renting to the same family my life situation changed and I needed to move back into the property. I gave the guy 30 days notice and he threw a fit so I extended a couple more days. Now let me be clear over the 10 years he went 90 days late on me 3 times and was habitually 30 late. It looked like he took care of the place and always caught up so I tried to work with him.

I asked for the keys back on Saturday per our agreement and he calls me Saturday morning and says they are still packing and he needs more time. I’m like wtf, how much more time. He says till the afternoon. There isn’t much I can do since it wasn’t a forcible eviction so I begrudgingly agree. Guess what, come afternoon I show up and now he won’t answer the door. Long story long I don’t get the keys back until Sunday night and at that he leaves a giant pile of shit in the driveway, a busted ass pool table and trampoline in the back yard and dog shit everywhere in the yard. Btw I never allow dogs in my rentals. After 10 years of helping his ass out this is what I am left with, seriously wtf is wrong with people. 

You booted him out why should he care?  That's what goes along with being a slumlord. 

What part of town?  (guessing west side)

30 days to find a new place and move your family is pretty rough.

Be thankful you still have electrical and plumbing intact ...

Yes 30 days is pretty tough to swallow. Especially if you've lived in this place for 10 years. There has to be a lot of stuff accumulated over that period of time to have to move also. Understandably, your life changed and needed to move back in. It's your house and it's your right. The situation sucks but just be glad they didn't pour cement down the drains and really screw you over!

Bummer situation for all parties,after 10 years it's gotta take 45 days to move out minimum. People suck making excuses and dragging it out last minute.

honestly i probably would have left the home inhabitable if given less than 90 days notice... May have even left you a reptile or two to fight off after I'm gone...

Hopefully u can get it all cleared up quickly, things could always be worse 👍

Not sure you have a rant here man as stated 30 days to find a place and then  also move 10 years worth of stuff with the long standing problem of late payments to you  should be no surprise it went this way which in my opinion was not bad at all.  I was once a renter,14 years in the same house, was I late with a payment or two yes but who is perfect landlords seem to think its there right to make demands that to them seem reasonable but don't take in account the renter who is living there life and the land lord rolls in and says now your out you have 30 days to make it happen sorry my life changed so now yours is because I own the property.   If you didn't enter the property for multiple years to make sure it was in a reasonable state thats on you.  What were you doing with the rent payed to you if you didn't save any of the funds rendered to you to keep the property up nor even make sure the renter is taking care of the property well its on you not the renter after all they either have to rent or choose to why should they be responsible for keeping it up its your property not theirs.  I think more appropriate thing here is you learned that being a land lord  is not free money or a free ride on the equity train its hard work and it mostly resides on the property owner not the tenant.

Renters suck but that is because people suck. Having a rental is a total pain in the ass. They break stuff and expect you to just fix it right now. We sold ours a few years ago and glad it's gone. Only way I would ever do it again is short term weekly type deal like in Havasu. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, fortyfour said:

You booted him out why should he care?  That's what goes along with being a slumlord. 

How did you determine he is a slumlord? 

I just had to ask my tenant from an industrial property I just bought to leave. They were there for 9 years. I gave them 60 days free rent to give them time and cash to leave. It took them 75 days but they left the property in great condition.

I find it's best to give up a battle or two if you intend to win a war. Forget about right and wrong . That shit will send you to the looney house.

Edited by ahipara 55

I have to agree with most others have said -  30 days to move after 10 years is tough, but the other side of the coin is that as renter you have to be prepared to move in 30 days always, its the risk you take by not having to accept the risk of ownership...

I would agree with you that "most people" put their needs first and don't give a crap about how you are going feel about them leaving your house a mess. To them its " WTF is wrong with this landlord 30 days to get out, well no way I can do that clean up too, he can pay to have someone clean up"  Its always a matter of perspective.  And that is as said the risk of being a landlord.

And it could be worse I have seen houses stripped and destroyed out of spite... Be glad seems like you got off easy.

Sorry you have to deal with that. Agree with others  that 30 days is very tight after a decade. 

You should have never helped him out with late payments along the way.  This just enables them and lets them think that they can take advantage of you all sorts of ways. You also should have inspected the house at least twice a year to make sure they are playing buy the rules, pets smoking  damage etc. Treat a rental like a business because it is. At least you get to keep his security deposit, should be at least 2 months rent. Take pictures of the condition to document why he's not getting it back. 

Good luck 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ahipara 55 said:

How did you determine he is a slumlord? 

It was just a figure of speech, there was no intent to offend anyone. But I'll man up and apologize if I have done so. 

Edited by fortyfour

30 days for somebody that could have been evicted on several occasions and was habitually late paying rent as well as breaking a no pet rule (that I'm sure was on a written contract).

eff* 'em and their disregard for your property and their lack of integrity. 

12 hours ago, AZDUNERAT said:

I swear every time have to move a tenant out I loose faith in humanity. After 10 years renting to the same family my life situation changed and I needed to move back into the property. I gave the guy 30 days notice and he threw a fit so I extended a couple more days. Now let me be clear over the 10 years he went 90 days late on me 3 times and was habitually 30 late. It looked like he took care of the place and always caught up so I tried to work with him.

I asked for the keys back on Saturday per our agreement and he calls me Saturday morning and says they are still packing and he needs more time. I’m like wtf, how much more time. He says till the afternoon. There isn’t much I can do since it wasn’t a forcible eviction so I begrudgingly agree. Guess what, come afternoon I show up and now he won’t answer the door. Long story long I don’t get the keys back until Sunday night and at that he leaves a giant pile of shit in the driveway, a busted ass pool table and trampoline in the back yard and dog shit everywhere in the yard. Btw I never allow dogs in my rentals. After 10 years of helping his ass out this is what I am left with, seriously wtf is wrong with people. 

I feel bad for you on the history with him, but what I'm reading is signs of extreme anger on his part.  Be very cautious with any 1on1 confrontations with him, or any ambushes.  As we all know from stories in the news, people who no one ever suspected are going crazy and using guns and knives.

Posted (edited)

Ive lived on both sides . I am slowly selling off all my rentals and have rented myself while owning homes that i rent to others🤔.  Its a no win on either side if you keep it business or make it personal because you must process everything mentally  every month . I asked a long term tennant to leave once so could rent to my mother . I gave  him 5 months notice and last months free rent and returned thier deposit prior to them moving out to secure a new place . Obviously not good business it became personal  and it didnt go bad for me because he was a co worker and a good guy . That's why im getting rid of everything . Even the apartments that are managed by a property manager . Going back to a much more simple life . Eff everything 

Edited by davyjones

Years ago when I had a few rentals I had to take a tenant to court. Got my judgement and glad I hired a constable to go with me and evict him. Good choice since he was nasty and had a gun laying on the table. Constable said "sir you have 10 minutes to vacate".  All his stuff was in the house and I legally had to store it for 3 weeks. Left it there and he broke back in to get all of his stuff. To this day I have one Marlborough duffle bag from that Debacle. Also found out he was dealing drugs out of the house.  Anyway, Go over there to clean and he had nailed hammocks  up in the one of the rooms to let giant iguanas crawl around. We found one big Iguana dead when cleaning.  Unit was given to him in perfect condition with fresh paint and new carpet. My wife said no more rentals at that point. Paid $40k and sold it for $44k. (Long time ago) Wish I would have kept it along with a couple of others. They now sell for $145k.

4 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

I feel bad for you on the history with him, but what I'm reading is signs of extreme anger on his part.  Be very cautious with any 1on1 confrontations with him, or any ambushes.  As we all know from stories in the news, people who no one ever suspected are going crazy and using guns and knives.

Wow - Never thought of that, but sounds right... good advice

30 days notice for a renter thats been there 10 years is a dick move. 

May have been a dick move but it’s no different than a tenant giving me 30 days notice that they are vacating a property. That’s is why it is written into a lease, either party can terminate once it goes month to month.  It is what it is, in the end it took me a week to clean the house, paint it and throw away most of the shit that was left here. Now I can get this to finally start feeling like home. 

Curious how many people here who rent give their landlords more than 30 days notice when they are moving?

Side note. I have a no modification clause including paint in my leases however I will now add that if any painting is done it will be immediately redone  professionally at the tenants expense. 

This was done without my permission to the two guest room but was going to be repainted before he moved out. 

AE3FE8C6-6372-420A-BFBB-405D542C80B5.jpeg

67D3346C-0478-442E-805C-F051D02AA4C2.jpeg

687542DE-512F-4352-ABEE-24CE916F511F.jpeg

DA111CC6-0635-44D0-A260-82D843E5A998.jpeg

Whine and Cheese called, it wants its thread back...

Posted (edited)

It seems painting a few rooms and cleaning up a drive way is not a bad trade after the renter payed 1/3 of the mortgage 

it could be a lot worse...

Edited by indianjoe

Sounds like you made out pretty well. You need to paint / Clean after someone has been there for 10 years anyway.  Just because you can evict someone after 10 years with a 30 day notice doesn't mean you should. You had every right to do that...……….but it sure doesn't make you Landlord of the Year!

Sounds like you lost a good tenant who had a few hiccups but served you well with your rental property. I am SURE if there were any legal things you could chase this renter down for, you would have already been all over it...…….. Time to move on...….You won...……… No need to beat him down after TEN YEARS of paying you. For Gods sake  he takes an extra day to move after 10 years ...…...Let it go

If you are really that upset...….hop off the keyboard and take him to small claimes court. See how that goes. Who knows,......you may be right againand really be able to stick it to a guy who vacated in 31 days and left the place in pretty good shape. All you need to do is dump a few items and paint the walls (which you had to do anyway)

To this date, I have never had a tenant make my rentals back to what they were when they moved in.  It amazes me what people do to these properties.  Then when they do try to do some repairs, it looks like they paid their 4 yr old to do the work.