WaPaWeKkA

Will Honda 3000 genny power ACs?

My parents just bought a new 5th wheel and now need a gen set for dry camping. He wants to buy a get set that will power both ACs. They specs on the website (5th wheel is being built) say it’s a 28,500 BTU. I’m sure that is both ACs combined. Will a Honda 3000 power these both? The 5th wheel prevents both of them from starting at one time. 

Specs on 5th wheel. 

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2020-grand-design-solitude-fifth-wheel-floorplan-3350rl-tr42896

I would guess a 13,500 and a 15000 btu unit. Lookup on camping world two similar units and see the amp load of each. (start and run)Then you can see what the amp output of the genny is. My guess would be you will need a larger generator. 

NO it will not the 3000  is only a 110 volt.  you need the 220 to run both AC's.   both sides of your 50amp power need power.  also there isn't enough power to run.  takes more amps.  

22 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

NO it will not the 3000  is only a 110 volt.  you need the 220 to run both AC's.   both sides of your 50amp power need power.  also there isn't enough power to run.  takes more amps.  

Will it power one of them? The larger one presumably. 

Does the 2 Honda 2000s running in parallel have enough juice? This crap is confusing to me. 

it should run the bigger unit.  Still not enough power with the 2  2000.  if you can put 2 3000's together you will have more than enough.  I sell Firman Generators.  I can get you setup with two of the 3300 and the cables to hook them together for about $1200.  full 3 year warranty handled right here in Az.  you need your 50amp to run both AC's.   50amps x 110volts = 5500 watts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

My parents just bought a new 5th wheel and now need a gen set for dry camping. He wants to buy a get set that will power both ACs. They specs on the website (5th wheel is being built) say it’s a 28,500 BTU. I’m sure that is both ACs combined. Will a Honda 3000 power these both? The 5th wheel prevents both of them from starting at one time. 

Specs on 5th wheel. 

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2020-grand-design-solitude-fifth-wheel-floorplan-3350rl-tr42896

just buy the big honda or yamaha., 7000 or 6300

Edited by cola

The Honda 7000 I think is better then the Yamaha as it is fuel injected so no carb issues.  2 smaller gens in parallel are easier to move around and lift.

When you cut it too close on the genny's you have to worry about the battery charger and other automatic loads causing issues.  My Honda 2000 will run one A/C unless the battery charger is charging or the fridge kicks on.  

I just got out my Predator 3500 to run it for a bit and I wanted to see what it would do with the 2 AC units on my motorhome. It ran both units at the same time without an issue. The generator has a built in amp usage readout and it showed it pulled between 18-19 amps with both running. My motorhome has load shedding that won’t allow you to start both ACs at once it delays them by 30-60 seconds. I ran it for over an hour and it worked great. I am pretty impressed with this little 3500 Inverter generator for the price. 

wow each one of those units should pull 10 to 15 amps.  thats great

2 hours ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

When you cut it too close on the genny's you have to worry about the battery charger and other automatic loads causing issues.  My Honda 2000 will run one A/C unless the battery charger is charging or the fridge kicks on.  

Also had this issue with my 2k. Found it would over load when fridge kicked on ( auto setting) Fixed it, just set to gas mode and never an issue again.

Posted (edited)

Our experiences and with our dune and off road group:

The Honda eu3000 will power one 13500 AC unit usually if you put the refer on gas and turn off the battery charger. 

Under a hot day load forget it running a 15000 BTU AC. 

The Predator 3500 will run one 15000 AC and the experiences in our dune group have been good. 

The Predator 3500 does have its demons.:

Air starvation that is cured with 5 or 6 of the 1” Uni air filter plugs, lube the off/choke/run mechanism and a good blast of gas treatment in every other tank fill helps prevent most issues. Also make sure it has the Bosch spark plug and change it to NGK after the break in period.  Clean the spark arrestor every oil change. 

86053FF2-23A0-4BC2-B690-300C87D4C7AB.jpeg.17f641c6fbdf7428dccf653a11fe94c8.jpeg

The Predator 3500 goes on sale this Friday the 16th. 

Get the extended warranty so you can simply exchange it when it pukes. 

BTW the Honda Handi 3000 has less watts than the Honda eu3000 electric start and hates running any RV AC above 11000 btu if they still even make them that size. 

Never put a micro start on your RV AC until you consider other cures. 

Just my free advise and free advise is worth what you paid for it. 

Edited by Dune Bandits

Never put a micro start on your RV AC. 

DB may I ask why ????

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Sumsand said:

Never put a micro start on your RV AC. 

DB may I ask why ????

It eventually kills them best to adjust the head pressure or initially start the AC on your RV house generator then switch it over to your portable.  

But that’s just me. If it works for you roll with it. 

Just a precaution. 

Edited by Dune Bandits

Ok thanks !, I have seen them Advertised and have thought about adding it to my A/C

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind not recommending an AC hard start cap.

All A/C electric motors have a cap. to help it start. A hard start cap. is just another cap. added in parallel to increase the capacitance and help the motor start up easier. I don't see how that could hurt anything, but maybe I'm missing something. Is there something on the web that states this? 

Keep in mind, when you run an AC and the portable genny powering it is at or near capacity and screaming it's little guts out. it's probably not going to last forever like that, and it's pretty annoying to hear a little genny screaming at redline, especially all night.

Consider getting a bigger genny. I have a Predator 3500 that has a nice lower pitch exhaust note, plus it's 200w higher rated than the Honda 3000 for continuous use. Even better, I have a Pulsar 4000 that's rated at 3500 continuous, but it puts out more than that. The point is, when a Honda 3000 is screaming, the Pulsar is still purring, and it has remote start already built in.