1newbie

Thoughts on new Polaris RZR Pro XP?

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:55 PM, kennerz said:

All the post above echo what I'm saying. These carts are getting really close, but for some reason they can't seem to get the whole thing right. The Wildcat XX seems to have a lot of great design ideas. Just cut corners on driveline durability. A real turbo motor close to the magic 200hp with the driveline built as beefy as the suspension and they would have a real winner.

The X3 RR is good in a lot of areas but like was mentioned above(all the fixes required), these are some large oversights by the engineering teams. Also it's very apparent that some of the metal thicknesses in key strength areas is thin to the point  where it's not really adequate for the machine's capabilities. I want to buy one but that kinda stuff out of the box is a turn off. Tells me for all of can-am's design hit's there is still a lot of misses.

The other top models to me are behind the can-am and have more flaws and long term durability issues, so they are not even in the conversation to me. Maybe Polaris is better than what I've seen, but they just don't seem to have long term durability unless you really baby them  and keep the mileage low. The Xp pro seems better engineered, but still no wide version, & is kinda funky looking to me.

can't win - yet. maybe in 2~3 years the next generation of machines will have everything mentioned above resolved.

There is a guy on online and on the Maverick forum that has over 22,000 miles on his X3 Max.   The frame is done.  Lots of cracks that are too much to fix and keep going.   The motor is still going strong.  He is having a company called CT Raceworx get him a new frame and do their magic to it.   

Most people barely put 2,000 miles on their SXS over a 4 year period.  Judging by the ads in the for sale section most don't even but a 1,000 miles on their SXS.   For a majority of the SXS owners the cars will outlast any use they put them through. 

Too many new owners go out and think these are build like a custom desert race car and just beat the living snot out of them.  Bouncing off stuff and can't figure out why they break stuff.  You have to know the limits of what you are driving.   The Turbo S and X3 can take quite a lot of abuse, but if you expect to hammer the whoops at 75mph all day and smash into the dunes you will break it.

For the money there is no better off-road toy available over a SXS.  It opens up some many different types of riding areas and trips.   Nothing gives you the versatility to do just about anything and do it pretty damn well.    Sure there are certain vehicles that would do one type of riding better, but who wants to have 5 difference vehicles when you can have the Swiss army knife of off-road toys and do it all with one.

Edited by Sand Shark

I saw the new Pro XP at Maclom Smith in Riverside last week.   The front end looks are still kinda weird to me and the interior was bland without the Ride Command in their.   They made the Pro XP more automotive feeling when you sit in it.       The new seats are comfy and no more rocking back and forth with the new mounting design.   Sitting position is similar to the Can Am X3 and line of sight is similar as well. 

It felt solid and looks well built.  I like the look of the stock cage and I like that the bed is designed to hold a spare tire and still have room in the bed to put other stuff.   It is much bigger looking in person.  

IMG_2049.jpg

Just watched the video. Some of y’all type NOVELS ... so I’ve only read the ‘short comments.’

It will be nice to buy one that is 1-2 years old in 2021/22 at a discount from the dudes here that always need the latest model. .. thanks fellas 🤣. Last thing I bought new was my 08 Raptor 700R (which I sold a few months back).By the time I get this model..my XP1000 will be worth $7500 😬.

... maybe I’ll keep it and have 2 RZRs?

I’m only taking my belt burner to G twice this season. I won’t run paddles and without a turbo, makes the dirt much more fun. Little tired of 2/3 belts per trip in G.

See y’all in Johnson Valley, Calico, Ocotillo, etc. (Or Glamis.. maybe twice).

abc

1F1280A4-5F93-461D-9FB9-E7C348267BA2.png

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

23 hours ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

Just watched the video. Some of y’all type NOVELS ... so I’ve only read the ‘short comments.’

It will be nice to buy one that is 1-2 years old in 2021/22 at a discount from the dudes here that always need the latest model. .. thanks fellas 🤣. Last thing I bought new was my 08 Raptor 700R (which I sold a few months back).By the time I get this model..my XP1000 will be worth $7500 😬.

... maybe I’ll keep it and have 2 RZRs?

I’m only taking my belt burner to G twice this season. I won’t run paddles and without a turbo, makes the dirt much more fun. Little tired of 2/3 belts per trip in G.

See y’all in Johnson Valley, Calico, Ocotillo, etc. (Or Glamis.. maybe twice).

abc

1F1280A4-5F93-461D-9FB9-E7C348267BA2.png

There is no way you should be doing 2-3 belts per trip.  I have thousands of dune miles in G with a XP 1000 on paddles and never broke a single belt.  It's time to clean, inspect, and rebuild your clutches and figure out what is actually going on.  Are you running with the cover on? 

-TJ

Yeah cover is on, but didn't know until last service I had a good 3"x1" gash right on the top of the cover. So we were getting lots of debri in there. Also added a fan in the exhaust tube (tube was added as the '14 was just a cover). I also pretty much ALWAYS run in 4WD High, so maybe that helps put more pressure on the belts? I'm through 15 belts and 1 primary clutch. I run dirt tires as I hate changing tires and I really don't think the non-turbo has enough guts to warrant paddles. I run at about 4-6psi. 

Main problem is I just peg the throttle to the floor. If I backed off, it probably would be easier on the belt(s). We'll see how she holds up with the gash being fixed, all the clutch stuff cleaned and maintained and the new exhaust fan.

She actually does well in G, you just have to wind her up to 35mph-55mph and maintain speed. It has boxed arms and larger shocks (2.5's) tuned by Ed. The suspension is incredible for such a short wheel base. I really love her and I'll box the arms when I finally buy a used 2020/2021 turbo (if the previous owner doesn't do it for me). I've ran right into large logs and boulders I thought I'd torn off the front, but no, dem boxed arms are the shiznit.... Indestructible... IMO.

Best,

abc

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

14 minutes ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

Yeah cover is on, but didn't know until last service I had a good 3"x1" gash right on the top of the cover. So we were getting lots of debri in there. Also added a fan in the exhaust tube (tube was added as the '14 was just a cover). I also pretty much ALWAYS run in 4WD High, so maybe that helps put more pressure on the belts? I'm through 15 belts and 1 primary clutch. I run dirt tires as I hate changing tires and I really don't think the non-turbo has enough guts to warrant paddles. I run at about 4-6psi. 

Main problem is I just peg the throttle to the floor. If I backed off, it probably would be easier on the belt(s). We'll see how she holds up with the gash being fixed, all the clutch stuff cleaned and maintained and the new exhaust fan.

She actually does well in G, you just have to wind her up to 35mph-55mph and maintain speed. It has boxed arms and larger shocks (2.5's) tuned by Ed. The suspension is incredible for such a short wheel base. I really love her and I'll box the arms when I finally buy a used 2020/2021 turbo (if the previous owner doesn't do it for me). I've ran right into large logs and boulders I thought I'd torn off the front, but no, dem boxed arms are the shiznit.... Indestructible... IMO.

Best,

abc

So, just my thoughts but...

On a XP 1000 you should be able to get away with running the cover in G.  That said, on our XP Turbo I never-ever will run a cover in big dunes.  I have measured an 80-100 degree average running belt temp change with the cover on.  This was using an infrared belt temp gauge on our 2016 XP Turbo.  I go into some of my thoughts on running the cover or not here, as well as some good maintenance stuff: 

The way I generally look at it is yes, you will wear the sliders, buttons, roller etc. out more quickly with the cover off... you can't deny that.  But it's not as drastic as people think.  When the clutches are spinning they do a good job of "rejecting" the sand.  But the key is, when a belt breaks it often does a ton of damage to the clutches that people don't realize or see, and then you break more belts.  Talk to 10 people with RZRs and you'll get at least 5 stories of "my first belt lasted forever, but after it broke I started going through belts like crazy."  That's due to the damage that was done and/or not properly cleaning after the belt-break.  IMHO you can't clean up sufficiently mid-dune when a belt breaks, so I always carry good used belts as spares. 

Again, I don't have belt breaking problems *knocking on wood profusely* but the idea is: replace your belt at home when you can properly clean and inspect everything in the comfort of your garage with a few coldies, then put your still-good used belt in the RZR as a spare.  When/if you have to replace one in the dunes put that old belt back on and take 'er easy back to camp.  Then pull the clutches and properly clean them as I cover in that link and put your fresh belt on.  Do your belt break in around camp.  Then you're ready to party again.  It only SOUNDS like more work, but it's way better than spending your whole trip in the bottom of a bowl trying to fish belt-debris out and ruining every ride for your group because you broke another belt. 

The jury is still out on the blowers.  It's nice being able to pull that air out when you stop and cool things quickly - but some say they are a restriction at high RPM when the clutches are moving a lot of air.  I'd just run no cover and not worry about any of that.  

-TJ

Edited by tjZ06

1 hour ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

Best,

abc

Those dirt tires in combination with your right foot to the floor is why you are blowing belts.    Those heavy 30" tires are not helping and your heavy right foot is compounding the problem.  That poor XP1000 is doing a lot more work to stay on top of the sand with that set up.   Also remove that fan off the second inlet tube as it does nothing to prolong the belt life.   

I would look at getting a clutch kit, if you don't have one.  I ran the Dalton clutch kit on my XP1000.  Super easy to install and adjust.  Made a difference in throttle response when I threw the 30" paddle tires on mine.

The XP1000 has plenty of power to spin paddles.  The STU 28" Blaster set up work awesome on the XP1000.  There are some good deals on used ones floating around on Craigslist.  I ran the STUs on my XP1000 for 3 seasons with no issues.    It not those the 28" CST Sandblast set up would work really well too.   The CST tires are cheap, light weight and perform similar to the STUs.

Thanks for the tips... now y’all go out and buy these new models... I’ll have cash for you 1-2 years when you wanna upgrade 👍

2 hours ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

Thanks for the tips... now y’all go out and buy these new models... I’ll have cash for you 1-2 years when you wanna upgrade 👍

No need to wait.  There are smoking deals on the Turbo S and X3 out there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2QUSOXByTd/

Guess the SXS Gods heard my prayers and answered them. If it all turns out as expected. 

Specs:

-22" of travel

-4 seat and 2 seat both may be built on the same chassis and have the same length long wheelbase

-225 HP base 300HP for $1 more (dual ECM maps) also future option for 1400cc (based on Suzuki snowmobile engine that powered the 1100 turbo artic cat - supposedly is the same head design/architecture as the hyabusa.) also a twin, not a triple. Not the latest tech, but way ahead of the other SXS mfg's. Proven reliability in the snomo application.

- Possible belt drive with a two or three speed transaxle

- Heavier diffs than the wildcat XX

- Heavier Clutch/drive/belt set up

-Real cage & harness from the factory

$28k for 2 seat $32k for 4 seat - either 72" or 77" option. (saw $1k upcharge for the 77") -   So you can get a 77" 300HP 4 seater for like $33k  or the price of a X3 RS max or turbo S with a basic aftermarket cage - or actually a little less.  We will see if it's real. If it is the game has changed especially if it is available with a 3 speed transaxle and 300HP.  One thing more - overheard RG on video saying that the motor has 500HP potential.  Absolutely nuts! I know the YXZ has similar power potential too but the chassis is not anywhere in the same league as the RG stuff.

If it's reliable it's gonna make sandcars a little less relevant cause it's soo much more versatile and is approaching sandcar levels of HP.. Seen videos of the turbo speedcats pacing trophy trucks through the whoops in the hardpack, they're not a joke. Easy 100mph top end. They're good in the rocks too.  If you can get all that for $33k the value is off the charts compared to anything else offroad. We will see...

7 hours ago, kennerz said:

Guess the SXS Gods heard my prayers and answered them. If it all turns out as expected. 

Specs:

-22" of travel

-4 seat and 2 seat both may be built on the same chassis and have the same length long wheelbase

-225 HP base 300HP for $1 more (dual ECM maps) also future option for 1400cc (based on Suzuki snowmobile engine that powered the 1100 turbo artic cat - supposedly is the same head design/architecture as the hyabusa.) also a twin, not a triple. Not the latest tech, but way ahead of the other SXS mfg's. Proven reliability in the snomo application.

$28k for 2 seat $32k for 4 seat - either 72" or 77" option. (saw $1k upcharge for the 77") -   So you can get a 77" 300HP 4 seater for like $33k  or the price of a X3 RS max or turbo S with a basic aftermarket cage - or actually a little less.  We will see if it's real. If it is the game has changed especially if it is available with a 3 speed transaxle and 300HP.  One thing more - overheard RG on video saying that the motor has 500HP potential.  Absolutely nuts! I know the YXZ has similar power potential too but the chassis is not anywhere in the same league as the RG stuff.

If it's reliable it's gonna make sandcars a little less relevant cause it's soo much more versatile and is approaching sandcar levels of HP.. Seen videos of the turbo speedcats pacing trophy trucks through the whoops in the hardpack, they're not a joke. Easy 100mph top end. They're good in the rocks too.  If you can get all that for $33k the value is off the charts compared to anything else offroad. We will see...

9FD14817-71D3-4190-84F0-CFC6E7A020E6.thumb.jpeg.21193f5ccbeaf4f896bbfddc5779f66f.jpeg

ED9ED61F-EB7F-4B0D-9A21-22FDE53BC937.thumb.jpeg.2ddb61ba718d6e0219c94f11a78716c8.jpeg

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:04 AM, kennerz said:

Specs:

-22" of travel

Lets see if he Robby and company can deliver as promised.  They are using a proven reliable Z1 motor in them and the reality is the 225hp is probably more than enough for a majority of the potential buyers.   The 300hp comes with no warranty and release of liability from what I heard.     I doubt you will see a non-belt drive version.   

Lots of potential with the Speedcats.  Be nice to get a SXS that you don't have to mess with the shocks or worry about it not being built tough enough.  Basically add some lights, navigation and radios and your are good to go. 

They were advertising $32K price at the show for the 4 seat, but the 2 seaters that were actually available had 'show special $39k' marked on them.  At least one or two were sold.

The cars Robby was selling at the show were Arctic Cat WildcatXX ‘s. Then Robby customizes through the SpeedSXS brand. And those were $39K. 

The $28K for the 2 seat & 32K for the 4 seat is for the Speed UTV which only 250 units will be built for the 2021 model year, released in Oct of 2020. Was told 80 Speed UTV deposits were taken at the show. That leaves about 170 left to be pre-ordered before they will be sold out of the first year models. 

After that they are projected to build 4,000 units in 2021 as 2022 model years. If all 250 2021 models sell and if they are proven successful, I would expect the price to increase on the 2022 model based on the market. Look at what Polaris MSRP is for the new Pro. They were for sale at the show for $28K. 

Robbys optimism wants to dominate the SXS world, but Todd’s more realistic and said if they could eventually sell 10,000 units a year in the Sport SXS market, with just focusing on the West Coast, as that is where their customer base is, they would be Rock Stars!  

Since this is a Polaris Pro thread I’ll start a new thread of what I know about the new Speed UTV shortly.