surf and dune

Paid a new tax on my meal tonight! I've seen it all now!

1 hour ago, Chingon619 said:

Spend $135 on a bottle of wine is on my NEVER list. Hope that alone was worth it. 

No shit right?  My buddy and I always get each other nice gifts cause we know we'll end up getting something cool in return.  He and his wife just got married in Italy and now really dig Italian wine so I insisted they get whatever the hell they want. I don't even really like the stuff, but about half a glass of red with a good steak is cool a couple times a year.

1 hour ago, surf and dune said:

If I had any negative issues with the food, or service I might have made an issue,(especially given the price)but this was the second time we've gone there and had an incredible experience /evening both times. It was only $8.00, and I knew I would get more than that in entertainment value in the story!

I get that, but did the restaurant inform you of this fee before you ordered?

12 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

I get that, but did the restaurant inform you of this fee before you ordered?

Negative. Point is, I'd make an issue in most cases, but it just would of left a bad vibe after having  such a great evening. Wasn't worth the negativity in this case to me. 

That shit pisses me off, increase the cost on your menu items, don't rub 8 years of failure in my face.  My health insurance was terminated and turned into a nightmare because of that ACA sham ! 

I was talking to my GF about this and we both agree it's BS. A lot of great points have been mentioned like a less % for tips. 

She thinks that the receipt had a line for ACA for accounting purposes.

I also agree why not just raise the price and that's when she mentioned accounting. 

by the looks of it the charge is added after the sales tax. so are they add 2% to their total sales and not charging sales tax on it   

As a business owner I would have raised prices and stuck it in my widget pricing.  Its always the same routine.  There is some backlash at first, but after a while its business as usual.  

Can never understand why they think raising minimum wage is a good idea for anyone but the gov that is collecting the tax on it.

12 hours ago, surf and dune said:

Yep I asked.  He explained that it was the Affordable Care Act.  Looked it up when I got home, and alot of people are seeing this charge and deducting it from the tip which doesn't really seem fair either.

It could be fair, depending on how yore waiter voted...

Just wait a few years  until the California $15/hr minimum wage goes into effect. BTW, what the hell is moshiani pignu? Some sort of Japanese sex act??

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, AlpineFunco said:

It could be fair, depending on how yore waiter voted...

Well lets just say he wasn't the most masculine guy I've ever met, so I'm pretty sure I know how he stands politically. That said, service was top notch which is what was important to me at the time.  And since nobody asked, I tipped a bit over $80. 

Edited by surf and dune

5 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

Well lets just say he wasn't the most masculine guy I've ever met, so I'm pretty sure I know how he stands politically. That said, service was top notch which is what was important to me at the time.  And since nobody asked, I tipped a bit over $80. 

nobody should've asked 

non of are business 

some might think otherwise 

30 minutes ago, nickman123 said:

Just wait a few years  until the California $15/hr minimum wage goes into effect. BTW, what the hell is moshiani pignu? Some sort of Japanese sex act??

If I paid $135 for moschioni pigno, I would at least expect to get the "girlfriend experience".

2 hours ago, diesel-e said:

by the looks of it the charge is added after the sales tax. so are they add 2% to their total sales and not charging sales tax on it   

They will change that next tax cycle. Fees of the like are taxable in ca

14 hours ago, azcg said:

Zipp's

Love there Southwestern Chicken Salad wish the Zipps by me served it.

18 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I think lowering the percentage you tip should be something we all consider doing. The BS that they need their tips because they are paid so little isn't true. Health care, paid leave, higher hourly wages causing higher prices and additional back door charges and still tipping at 15-20 mean an even bigger tip. Sounds like a scam to me. 

Maybe no tip not all??? It might come to that!

1 hour ago, dbart said:

Maybe no tip not all??? It might come to that!

If they are making what is called a living wage, healthcare, paid time off, why are we tipping them? To do thier job? Do you tip your mechanic, contractor, doctor, etc. or do you expect them to do the job they are paid to do. Here's an example, do you tip you pizza delivery driver after you pay extra for delivery? 

As expensive as dining out has become is a percentage tip still the way to go. The fact is they typically have someone else carry the food out which you are paying for, they bring you more drinks that you're paying for. What is the major accomplishment to take an oder bring out the wrong shit and be asked 3 times for some Ranch for you mozzarella sticks? 

I think it's time to really reevaluate tipping since they clearly are not working for tips anymore.

If anyone is sensitive to profanity please don't click the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

If they are making what is called a living wage, healthcare, paid time off, why are we tipping them? To do thier job? Do you tip your mechanic, contractor, doctor, etc. or do you expect them to do the job they are paid to do. Here's an example, do you tip you pizza delivery driver after you pay extra for delivery? 

As expensive as dining out has become is a percentage tip still the way to go. The fact is they typically have someone else carry the food out which you are paying for, they bring you more drinks that you're paying for. What is the major accomplishment to take an oder bring out the wrong shit and be asked 3 times for some Ranch for you mozzarella sticks? 

I think it's time to really reevaluate tipping since they clearly are not working for tips anymore.

She's trying to help you not eat them wrong. 

Mozzarella sticks get marinara....  :bangin:

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

.The fact is they typically have someone else carry the food out which you are paying for, they bring you more drinks that you're paying for. What is the major accomplishment to take an oder

If they are using somebody to bring out the food, they are getting paid less than the waiter, just above bus boy. Same thing for the girl who brings the drinks.  She is a Hostess who is old enough to shuffle drinks and that's it.  So if the waiter has a staff off 3  Bus boy, expediter, and cocktail hostess they are taking care of more tables than a waiter who doesn't have that team.  Also at the end of the night the waiter tips them out from there pocket as well as tipping the bar tender and the hostess .

Still not seeing how the ACA applies, I thought you had to work full time and that is how the bigger corporations like Target, Wal-Mart and McDonald's were getting away with not having to pony up a Health Care package for 90% of there employee's.

26 minutes ago, MWB said:

If they are using somebody to bring out the food, they are getting paid less than the waiter, just above bus boy. Same thing for the girl who brings the drinks.  She is a Hostess who is old enough to shuffle drinks and that's it.  So if the waiter has a staff off 3  Bus boy, expediter, and cocktail hostess they are taking care of more tables than a waiter who doesn't have that team.  Also at the end of the night the waiter tips them out from there pocket as well as tipping the bar tender and the hostess .

Still not seeing how the ACA applies, I thought you had to work full time and that is how the bigger corporations like Target, Wal-Mart and McDonald's were getting away with not having to pony up a Health Care package for 90% of there employee's.

That's why I'm skeptical. I think the restaurant owner is adding it to the bill but I don't believe they're paying any healthcare benefits. They probably have all of their employees on a 35 hr/week part time schedule.

41 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

That's why I'm skeptical. I think the restaurant owner is adding it to the bill but I don't believe they're paying any healthcare benefits. They probably have all of their employees on a 35 hr/week part time schedule.

I don't disagree with anything above except I believe part time requires less than 30 hours?  If that's correct, it's a huge challenge for many restaurants / companies. 

Hell, to get any good workers these days is a huge challenge!  But that's a whole different topic.    

Posted (edited)

Just for the sake of doing it, why doesn't someone here on this forum volunteer to contact the Owner or General Manager of A's and tune them into this thread? I'm sure they would be more than interested in it if they knew about it. Some input from them might reveal what's really going on. The OP's identity is relatively obscure even if a photograph of the receipt has been posted. My take on it is that the OP doesn't frequent the place often enough to cause any trouble the next time he dines there.

Edited by fortyfour

17 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

Just for the sake of doing it, why doesn't someone here on this forum volunteer to contact the Owner or General Manager of A's and tune them into this thread? I'm sure they would be more than interested in it if they knew about it. Some input from them might reveal what's really going on. The OP's identity is relatively obscure even if a photograph of the receipt has been posted. My take on it is that the OP doesn't frequent the place often enough to cause any trouble the next time he dines there.

Good idea, I'd be interested to know the manager or owners response. But in all likelihood .... he's a pompous AH and doesn't care. I will be re-evaluating my tipping %

1 hour ago, MWB said:

If they are using somebody to bring out the food, they are getting paid less than the waiter, just above bus boy. Same thing for the girl who brings the drinks.  She is a Hostess who is old enough to shuffle drinks and that's it.  So if the waiter has a staff off 3.

So the waiter is making more then minimum wage and has a staff. 

Look at the big picture. They are getting what libtards call a living wage, they are getting healthcare, they are getting paid leave. As a result, the already high prices, are even higher. This means my 15% tip is based on an inflated price because the people being tipped are getting more from thier employer. So the waiter is making more, causing my meal to cost more, making my tip more, so the waiter is making even more.

I'm simply saying it's time to reevaluate and maybe reduce the amount.