surf and dune

Paid a new tax on my meal tonight! I've seen it all now!

2 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

She's trying to help you not eat them wrong. 

Mozzarella sticks get marinara....  :bangin:

You put what you want on them, I'll put what I want. 

40 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

Just for the sake of doing it, why doesn't someone here on this forum volunteer to contact the Owner or General Manager of A's and tune them into this thread? I'm sure they would be more than interested in it if they knew about it. Some input from them might reveal what's really going on. The OP's identity is relatively obscure even if a photograph of the receipt has been posted. My take on it is that the OP doesn't frequent the place often enough to cause any trouble the next time he dines there.

Your idea have at it and here's the number. (949)650-6505

:thumbup:

I like to bite the end off of a steak fry and then sop up some juice with it...mmm that's good. 

20 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

If I paid $135 for moschioni pigno, I would at least expect to get the "girlfriend experience".

I never order wine for myself, but don't restaurants typically double , or somewhat close to that, the retail price? For the hell of it, I googled the going price online and it seemed to be about $70.00. Doesn't that sound about right?

5 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

If they are making what is called a living wage, healthcare, paid time off, why are we tipping them? To do thier job? Do you tip your mechanic, contractor, doctor, etc. or do you expect them to do the job they are paid to do. Here's an example, do you tip you pizza delivery driver after you pay extra for delivery? 

As expensive as dining out has become is a percentage tip still the way to go. The fact is they typically have someone else carry the food out which you are paying for, they bring you more drinks that you're paying for. What is the major accomplishment to take an oder bring out the wrong shit and be asked 3 times for some Ranch for you mozzarella sticks? 

I think it's time to really reevaluate tipping since they clearly are not working for tips anymore.

I tipped our waiter $80.00,  tipped the valet $4.00, and our bar tab before dinner was about $65.00, so I probably kicked down another $11.00 or so.  Like I said multiple times, the food was perfect, the waiter was awesome, the drinks were very good, unique, and strong. I tip accordingly.  BTW alot of restaurants pool the tips.

2 hours ago, socaldmax said:

That's why I'm skeptical. I think the restaurant owner is adding it to the bill but I don't believe they're paying any healthcare benefits. They probably have all of their employees on a 35 hr/week part time schedule.

The waiter when asked, explained that it helps offset their health insurance that the restaurant provides their employees.  You really think he would explain that if he wasn't getting insurance? Not defending the charge, but your suggestion seems flawed.

1 minute ago, surf and dune said:

The waiter when asked, explained that it helps offset their health insurance that the restaurant provides their employees.  You really think he would explain that if he wasn't getting insurance? Not defending the charge, but your suggestion seems flawed.

It's still surprising to me. If so, that's a very rare occurrence. 

If you're telling me he's a full time employee, getting health benefits and $80 tips, maybe I'm in the wrong profession! 

There’s a fatal flaw in that explanation , WITF should the customer have to help pay the employees health benefits? Nobody helps pay mine !!! What’s next, the customer will be helping to pay unemployment insurance, sick leave etc. 

12 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

1 hour ago, surf and dune said:

I tipped our waiter $80.00,  tipped the valet $4.00, and our bar tab before dinner was about $65.00, so I probably kicked down another $11.00 or so.  Like I said multiple times, the food was perfect, the waiter was awesome, the drinks were very good, unique, and strong. I tip accordingly.  BTW alot of restaurants pool the tips.

I'm not questioning what any one specific person tips or saying don't tip, just, is it still business as usual or with the way things have changed do we keep tipping at the same level. 

Personally I usually tip between 15-20%. The bar I use to go to I'd tip a buck a beer. So almost 50%, in reality I was paying 3-4 bucks for a beer. The result was, I'd walk up behind people already at the bar and the bar tender would stop and get me a beer. :bigrin

After tipping strippers I have a hard time tipping anyone else..

3 hours ago, socaldmax said:

It's still surprising to me. If so, that's a very rare occurrence. 

If you're telling me he's a full time employee, getting health benefits and $80 tips, maybe I'm in the wrong profession! 

He was our waiter when my buddy took us out 14 months ago so I guess its possible hes full time .  I do think that at the very least he tips the busboys, possible other staff as well. I worked as a busboy and dishwasher at different restaurants back in the day, and I always got something from the servers. My wife was a waitress when we first started going out and she would tip the kitchen as well. 

3 hours ago, JKR951 said:

There’s a fatal flaw in that explanation , WITF should the customer have to help pay the employees health benefits? Nobody helps pay mine !!! What’s next, the customer will be helping to pay unemployment insurance, sick leave etc. 

By "flaw" I was just saying that I think that they do provide health coverage for some of the staff. Not arguing whether its justified. Someone mentioned earlier that its possible the owner is actually a Conservative and wants his customers to know how much his mandated cost for his employees coverage is. Who knows?

I thought tipped employee's  don't make minimum wage? 

42 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

By "flaw" I was just saying that I think that they do provide health coverage for some of the staff. Not arguing whether its justified. Someone mentioned earlier that its possible the owner is actually a Conservative and wants his customers to know how much his mandated cost for his employees coverage is. Who knows?

I was referring to the waiters explanation, not yours.

1 hour ago, Legit Duner said:

I thought tipped employee's  don't make minimum wage? 

Gratuity employees have a different "minimum" in many places.  In AZ the typical minimum is $11, the gratuity min is $8.

is this a ca thing?

I asked my son about, he is a waiter in DT Fullerton, he says they don't have anything like that on their bill.

27 minutes ago, Kevin said:

is this a ca thing?

I checked out the ACA thing. It seems that some cities in CA started mandating certain requirements for workers (including health care) some time ago. Restaurants could either pay those mandates and raise their prices or they could disclose it on the tab.  DON~~~

26 minutes ago, Cookie said:

I asked my son about, he is a waiter in DT Fullerton, he says they don't have anything like that on their bill.

What restaurant does he work at?

15 hours ago, mike dee said:

After tipping strippers I have a hard time tipping anyone else..

:dancer:

2 hours ago, BW Willy said:

What restaurant does he work at?

Pour company

https://www.pourcompany.com/

3 hours ago, Cookie said:

I'll have to check this place out - no crappy tax and within walking distance from the house.  I've been to most of the locations in the area and haven't been here!  Thanks!

On 8/1/2019 at 5:32 PM, surf and dune said:

I never order wine for myself, but don't restaurants typically double , or somewhat close to that, the retail price? For the hell of it, I googled the going price online and it seemed to be about $70.00. Doesn't that sound about right?

Honestly I was drinking that night and I had no idea what moschioni pigno was, so I was just joking around.  I'm a huge pinot noir fan (although in lower price brackets), so if you enjoyed a fine wine that night then that's great!

PT. Loma location.

20190803_212824.jpg

2 hours ago, Legit Duner said:

PT. Loma location.

20190803_212824.jpg

They really should just raise prices. I am far more likely to walk out after reading that then I am paying $7.54 for a beer verses $7.25.