That’s rad. I love Baja. Thanks for sharing with us! 

Looks like you guys had a great time.  Great that you were able to take the kid along.

Cool trip maybe I can make one of these days.  

21 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Looks like you guys had a great time.  Great that you were able to take the kid along.

It was a good time for sure.  I talked to Andy and he might be down for a Baja trip.  

Cool trip. We are leaving in the morning.  Tecate to hp ranch to Erindira and back to Tecate.  

9 minutes ago, ehall said:

Cool trip. We are leaving in the morning.  Tecate to hp ranch to Erindira and back to Tecate.  

I assume on bikes.  We saw a few groups of bikes on Saturday on the trails.  

Have fun and be safe.  Going to be toasty in Tecate.  

Totally awesome!! That's cool that you let your son drive as being a passenger is not as fun.

Is this trip every year on the same month?

What's the price for this or do you just pay your own hotel and food?

8 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

EPIC Stuff......would love to do some day.

14 hours ago, B0NES said:

That’s rad. I love Baja. Thanks for sharing with us! 

Baja trips are becoming my favorite.      

11 hours ago, sinverguenza said:

Totally awesome!! That's cool that you let your son drive as being a passenger is not as fun.

Is this trip every year on the same month?

What's the price for this or do you just pay your own hotel and food?

My kid has been driving my X3 for a little while now.  I put it in Eco mode so the throttle response is a little lazy on take off.  Hardest thing was getting him to understand centering the SXS on the road, not on where he is sitting.   I had a few branches come my way.  LOL!   Lots of grabbing the steering wheel in the beginning.  He is getting good at reading the terrain and anticipating turns.    A lot less directions going on.  Just have to remind him to slow down sometimes, like when we were doing 85mph across a dry lake bed in JV, only to be passed by my friend doing 90+.  LOL!   He has put on a lot of desert miles behind the wheel in the last 6 months and I am very comfortable with him driving in the desert.   The X3  RS is a very stable platform.  

The trip cost includes hotels, one dinner and lunch on the trails on 2 of the days.  They have a chase truck and trailer.   This year the cost was $425.00 a person. 

Black Rhino Performance does a few trips a year.  One in the Winter/early spring and one in the summer.  July seems to be the month for the summer ride. 

4 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

My kid has been driving my X3 for a little while now.  I put it in Eco mode so the throttle response is a little lazy on take off.  Hardest thing was getting him to understand centering the SXS on the road, not on where he is sitting.   I had a few branches come my way.  LOL!   Lots of grabbing the steering wheel in the beginning.  He is getting good at reading the terrain and anticipating turns.    A lot less directions going on.  Just have to remind him to slow down sometimes, like when we were doing 85mph across a dry lake bed in JV, only to be passed by my friend doing 90+.  LOL!   He has put on a lot of desert miles behind the wheel in the last 6 months and I am very comfortable with him driving in the desert.   The X3  RS is a very stable platform.  

The trip cost includes hotels, one dinner and lunch on the trails on 2 of the days.  They have a chase truck and trailer.   This year the cost was $425.00 a person. 

Black Rhino Performance does a few trips a year.  One in the Winter/early spring and one in the summer.  July seems to be the month for the summer ride. 

Thanks for the response. 

20 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

He is 13.   It was a great trip.   He is a good co-driver.   

Next year he deserves his own SxS, stop being cheap :)

3 minutes ago, Cookie said:

Next year he deserves his own SxS, stop being cheap :)

LOL!  You buying it for him?   I have thought about a RS1 for him.   The "banker" says no.   

19 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

LOL!  You buying it for him?   I have thought about a RS1 for him.   The "banker" says no.   

he is small, a little 900 will keep up with you.  Rode with a group and a 10 yr old was driving a 800 and had zero issues keeping up in the dunes, had head sets and everything.  Can't tease the kid with driving once in while...…………...haha.  My kids are all on 2 wheelers now, easy for me.

23 minutes ago, Cookie said:

he is small, a little 900 will keep up with you.  Rode with a group and a 10 yr old was driving a 800 and had zero issues keeping up in the dunes, had head sets and everything.  Can't tease the kid with driving once in while...…………...haha.  My kids are all on 2 wheelers now, easy for me.

I rather have him in a RS1, than a 900.  Better suspension set up, solid  drive train and solid motor.  Plus it has a slightly longer wheelbase and not much longer that a 900.   You can get a RS1 for a little more than what a used 900 goes for.    Bonus is it will be fun for me to drive too.  

He'll be the most bitchin kid on his block...

RS1_4_L.jpg

Thanks for posting so many great photos.  This is the most all-encompassing trip topic I have ever seen on this website.

Your photos had a great diversity that put the entire trip into better perspective.

I also thought the damage report at the end was informative, but good luck in fixing the issues on your Can Am.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:26 PM, Phoenix7 said:

Thanks for posting so many great photos.  This is the most all-encompassing trip topic I have ever seen on this website.

Your photos had a great diversity that put the entire trip into better perspective.

I also thought the damage report at the end was informative, but good luck in fixing the issues on your Can Am.

Thanks.

A new rear skid plate with a piece of aluminum sandwiched between the frame and skid plate will do the trick.  Factory 
UTV make them,.   I looked at this weekend when I was cleaning everything and it is not too bad.  

Clean up day was fun, not!!!   It took two washings to get everything clean.  That silt gets into everything.   The air filter did its job, but it was packed with dirt, dust and silt.   Nothing got past the filter.   Love the Donaldson filters and how well they work.  S&B particular separator set up will be in order prior to the next Baja trip.  

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

Silt sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 8/1/2019 at 8:50 PM, Sand Shark said:

I assume on bikes.  We saw a few groups of bikes on Saturday on the trails.  

Have fun and be safe.  Going to be toasty in Tecate.  

2 bikes and a rzr. Had a great time. Tecate to horsepower ranch and then to coyote cals at Erindira then back to Santa veronica.  Was probably 95 deg or so going thru Ojos negros. It was 116 when I got home yesterday afternoon .

1 hour ago, ehall said:

2 bikes and a rzr. Had a great time. Tecate to horsepower ranch and then to coyote cals at Erindira then back to Santa veronica.  Was probably 95 deg or so going thru Ojos negros. It was 116 when I got home yesterday afternoon .

Sounds like a fun trip.  95 must of felt like winter compared to 116.   Tecate gets a little toasty this time of year.    When we left the coast heading back toward Santo Tomas you could feel the temps rise.   

Posted (edited)

For years I was convinced Sand Shark was a Slappy computer generated forum member but these pix convince us Sand Shark is a real person.

Excellent trip. 

Any tips for extra protection to the rear underside of the X3? 

99B4EA74-5DEB-4D41-B691-CB56E97C27AB.jpeg.152aed02a8db1d6b0efde92414a80235.jpeg

Edited by Dune Bandits

1 hour ago, Dune Bandits said:

For years I was convinced Sand Shark was a Slappy computer generated forum member but these pix convince us Sand Shark is a real person.

Excellent trip. 

Any tips for extra protection to the rear underside of the X3? 

99B4EA74-5DEB-4D41-B691-CB56E97C27AB.jpeg.152aed02a8db1d6b0efde92414a80235.jpeg

Lol!   I exist.    Going to put the Factory UTV skid plate that sandwiches a piece of aluminium between the frame and skid plate.   That will help and not smacking a rock at a good rate of speed.  Baja likes to hide some gems in the dirt and slit. 

2 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Lol!   I exist.    Going to put the Factory UTV skid plate that sandwiches a piece of aluminium between the frame and skid plate.   That will help and not smacking a rock at a good rate of speed.  Baja likes to hide some gems in the dirt and slit. 

Good please post pix. 

I’m one smack away from damage.