Jump to content
richard h

New Truck Break in

Recommended Posts

When you get a new truck, how do you break it in? Drive at varying speeds? Drive normal? Or drive it like it's stolen? Get mine today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know, there isn't any needed on today's production vehicles. More of a personal preference. I would drive it like I stole it, always. I've heard that the ECU's in their learning stages get adjusted to your every day driving and thus can perform well if taught them to be a beast. I think it's all bogus but makes for great conversation. Congrats! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just drive it normally and try not to stress it too much before you change the oil the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats, New trucks are so nice and NEW!

 

:wwp:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Drive it like you stole it, I’ve seen how they test Toyota motors before their installed. 😂.... they are ran at a very hard RPM on and off for sometime.  Wish I could share numbers with y’all but I can’t.

who would buy a Toyota anyways.

 

Edited by mike dee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mike dee said:

Drive it like you stole it, I’ve seen how they test Toyota motors before their installed. 😂.... they are ran at a very hard RPM on and off for sometime.  Wish I could share numbers with y’all but I can’t.

who would buy a Toyota anyways.

 

I hear the shoot meteors at them too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May be a little over kill but I go easy on the brakes at the beginning on my vehicles.

I still rather its needed or not do not tow for the first 1500 miles, and do not set the cruise control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just drive it.  after a few heat cycles anything that would shit the bed would have shit the bed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, just Drive normal!

Got 23K on my new one already. 16 months old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a new 2019 jeep Rubicon and I ask the dealer if I needed to brake it in and he told me no brake in required, the new vehicles now days don't need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mr.DUNE said:

I just bought a new 2019 jeep Rubicon and I ask the dealer if I needed to brake it in and he told me no brake in required, the new vehicles now days don't need it.

How do you like it? I kinda like the Gladiator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it,  the 4 door has all the bells and whistles. In the past I would have sticker shock and buyers remoras but not this time.

I looked at the Gladiator and wasn't impressed as a jeep pickup for the money I would look at the chev or ford if I wanted a pickup they're better suited for that kind of stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for reply's. Talked to a few at dealer and consensus was vary speeds and drive like striving for fuel mileage for first 1000 or so. OMG have there been some changes since the one sitting in the carport.(1999)

IMG_1498.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Freaking awesome! Another new Ford Super Duty owner. I absolutely LOVE my new F250.  If I could do it over again I'd get Blue Jeans instead of Ruby Red though, maybe next time around. 

No real break in required. As a dealer tech for decades now, I'd recommend taking it easy for a few hundred miles or so, then game on. I've had mine for 4 months and I've only got 2600 miles on it so far, I don't have to get on the freeway to go to work so it gets driven pretty easy. I make it a point to drive somewhere on the freeway for 20 or 30 miles once in a while to keep the DPF in good health since most of my daily driving is 10 minutes at a time then shut it off.

I use the FordPass app on my phone to start it 5 minutes before I get in it in the morning. There is a lot of neat features with the FordPass app, your dealer should have set that up for you at delivery.  It's similar to what Chevrolet and GMC owners can get on their smartphones too to communicate with their vehicle. 

Just awesome! Congratulations. 

Edited by fortyfour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to my buddy, his 2019 F350 owners manual states 1000 miles before towing.....

double check that.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you should do is have kevin run it for a week .if he cant break it nobody can ...🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drove mine as normal. Towed the crap out of it with less than 500 miles on it. The new trucks are just beasts! Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Going to the river tomorrow with my buddy that unloads new cars trucks and SUVs at the port. It might only have a few miles on it when you get it but they also might be the hardest miles it ever sees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

with my F350 was made to tow, 

so I drove it like for the first 1000 miles in town then towed light for 100 miles let rear end cool down then towed heavy for 50 miles then towed heavy 100 miles, and now the Rear gear should be polished ardready to go, 

changed the oil with maximum gear oil and should be good for some time, 

Edited by J Alper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When I bought my diesel the tech I was shooting the shit with told me to drive it like like I stole it for after the first 200 miles. More to give the diff’s time to break in then the motor  

 

14 years and 250k miles later she still purrs like a kitten....ok an old pissed off cat but close enough. Not sure if it makes a difference that it’s a real diesel aka Cummins but it’s all the same to me. 

Edited by AZDUNERAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drove my 2019 F350 about 300 miles and then hooked up my flatbed and towed 800 miles. 

Hauled 6000 lbs for half of those miles. 

Changed the oil when I got back. 

Truck now has 14k miles on it and runs perfect. 

We will see how it is doing at 100k miles. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 8:01 PM, fortyfour said:

Freaking awesome! Another new Ford Super Duty owner. I absolutely LOVE my new F250.  If I could do it over again I'd get Blue Jeans instead of Ruby Red though, maybe next time around. 

No real break in required. As a dealer tech for decades now, I'd recommend taking it easy for a few hundred miles or so, then game on. I've had mine for 4 months and I've only got 2600 miles on it so far, I don't have to get on the freeway to go to work so it gets driven pretty easy. I make it a point to drive somewhere on the freeway for 20 or 30 miles once in a while to keep the DPF in good health since most of my daily driving is 10 minutes at a time then shut it off.

I use the FordPass app on my phone to start it 5 minutes before I get in it in the morning. There is a lot of neat features with the FordPass app, your dealer should have set that up for you at delivery.  It's similar to what Chevrolet and GMC owners can get on their smartphones too to communicate with their vehicle. 

Just awesome! Congratulations. 

ya mean like this one!

TRUCK.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 8:18 PM, RK Racing said:

According to my buddy, his 2019 F350 owners manual states 1000 miles before towing.....

double check that.......

i'll vouch for this statement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 9:53 AM, Richard H said:

When you get a new truck, how do you break it in? Drive at varying speeds? Drive normal? Or drive it like it's stolen? Get mine today. 

According to a Dr of metallurgy, the differential gears should be broken in by moderate driving for a short period (like 20 or 30 minutes) then allowed to cool down for a while, repeat several times.

As far as diesel break in goes, the experts say to put it under load and tow with it. The rings seal against the cylinder walls via combustion chamber pressure so they'll break in better with a load on the engine. 

All oils and lubes should be replaced after 100 mi or so to get rid of contaminants.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...