Dune Bandits

Land Barrons and Ghost Camps. Any action by the BLM?

We arrived at Glamis 2 weeks early a few Thanksgivings ago to find trailers, wheeled junk, flotsam and jetsam, tape and cones blocking most the camping along Gecko and the loops. Vast sections too .

BLM Leos ignoring it all .

One guy even had the entire pad 2.5 taped/coned off.  Just one vehicle guarding it. LEOs avoiding it  like they were giving special treatment to that group . 

I busted through and took a spot anyway and the dude made sure I was blocked in when his party arrived  10 days later. 

Any action by the BLM to prevent this?

Posted (edited)

when you pull in make sure you can get out.  I part a sxs in front of the Moho so I can escape.  I also keep tire spikes in my trailer now just in case some ahole race car drivers are camping close

Edited by Squatcher

Next time show up 3 weeks early. 

Put on an orange vest and go collect all the tape and cones.

Posted (edited)

Take all the tape down and wrap a bow around the one trailer with it. 

Edited by FAMILY OF 4

My group did this last year and it got a bit hairy at first but once the lone guy realized we were going to leave enough room for all he chilled out and as his crew began to arrive we even moved a bit to accommodate everyone.  I also agree with taking the crap down but with that talking to anyone present is a great suggestion it has always worked for me.... I do have to take a minute before because this really pisses me off to begin with....

1 hour ago, Dune Bandits said:

We arrived at Glamis 2 weeks early a few Thanksgivings ago to find trailers, wheeled junk, flotsam and jetsam, tape and cones blocking most the camping along Gecko and the loops. Vast sections too .

BLM Leos ignoring it all .

One guy even had the entire pad 2.5 taped/coned off.  Just one vehicle guarding it. LEOs avoiding it  like they were giving special treatment to that group . 

I busted through and took a spot anyway and the dude made sure I was blocked in when his party arrived  10 days later. 

Any action by the BLM to prevent this?

Were you planning on leaving T-day, or was your plan to stay longer than the 14 days allowed and then complain about others breaking the rules?

What is the purpose of the camp host at RoadRunner? Who determines and assigns someone as camp host? I find the whole Gecko camping cluster f**k not really worth the effort. The wash is not a bad place to end up, Gordon's is not bad either even with closures along the sand highway.

White privilege ?

18 minutes ago, FAMILY OF 4 said:

White privilege ?

Supremacist

3 hours ago, surf and dune said:

Were you planning on leaving T-day, or was your plan to stay longer than the 14 days allowed and then complain about others breaking the rules?

Everyone breaks one rule or another while out there. There are just too many rules.

I would rather he breaks the 14 day rule than the no saving space rule. At least he's actually THERE, playing in Glamis every day that his rig is there. It's really annoying to see some self entitled prick taping off half of a pad and then leaving all of his crap there empty every week. THAT guy is focking over his fellow duners, on purpose.

Little early on this topic. Good to see we are being proactive. :legit:

3 hours ago, fortyfour said:

What is the purpose of the camp host at RoadRunner? Who determines and assigns someone as camp host? I find the whole Gecko camping cluster f**k not really worth the effort. The wash is not a bad place to end up, Gordon's is not bad either even with closures along the sand highway.

I checked into this last season, the camp host is hired and paid by the BLM.  One of the many responsibilities is to inform people of the rules. He cannot enforce the rules, but should be informing the BLM if sees or is made aware of a violation. 

What is the purpose of the camp host at RoadRunner? 

Gecko Loop has a camp host as well. The Roadrunner host passed away a couple seasons ago and the Gecko Loop guy moved to Roadrunner last season. He got numerous complaints and I heard he won't be back.

Plus if you're at Gordons you have the best restaurant which has excellent hours during the season, and you could drive up the sand highway and participate in some activities at Gecko if you want to.

35 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Everyone breaks one rule or another while out there. There are just too many rules.

I would rather he breaks the 14 day rule than the no saving space rule. At least he's actually THERE, playing in Glamis every day that his rig is there. It's really annoying to see some self entitled prick taping off half of a pad and then leaving all of his crap there empty every week. THAT guy is focking over his fellow duners, on purpose.

That's if you assume that he will be there every day. Lets not pretend that there haven't been countless complaints of ghost campers that take up a space a couple weeks before a holiday. Just seems a bit hypocritical to complain about people breaking the rules when your intention is to also break rules. 

16 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Plus if you're at Gordons you have the best restaurant which has excellent hours during the season, and you could drive up the sand highway and participate in some activities at Gecko if you want to.

No! Restaurant sucks, has roaches and bedbugs. All the closures and all the gas it would take to get up to Gecko isn't worth it.  Only dirty, carp eating people camp there. (In BBB's words)

Right??? 

1 minute ago, Legit Duner said:

No! Restaurant sucks, has roaches and bedbugs. All the closures and all the gas it would take to get up to Gecko isn't worth it.  Only dirty, carp eating people camp there. (In BBB's words)

Right??? 

Everyone can have their own opinion, but what I witnessed in January was a modern, remodeled, spacious restaurant and bar, and lots of people having fun.  Maybe there's some history I'm not aware of?

Yes the gas to Gecko is a major factor.  I didn't want my first post to get into too much detail or complexity on that.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Everyone can have their own opinion, but what I witnessed in January was a modern, remodeled, spacious restaurant and bar, and lots of people having fun.  Maybe there's some history I'm not aware of?

Yes the gas to Gecko is a major factor.  I didn't want my first post to get into too much detail or complexity on that.

Haha. It's just another way of saying don't give all the dirty riff-raff from Glamis any ideas to come down.  I love Gordons. Gordons is my family's "spot".

Haven't been to the new restaurant, but loved the old one, so I bet it's super nice.

11 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

sarcasm my man

2 minutes ago, Legit Duner said:

Haha. It's just another way of saying don't give all the dirty riff-raff from Glamis any ideas to come down.  I love Gordons. Gordons is my family's "spot".

Haven't been to the new restaurant, but loved the old one, so I bet it's super nice.

Sorry I didn't understand your humor.  The bottom line is I'm glad so many people fight for Gecko space and don't come to the washes, Gordons, Midway or Buttercup.  They are crowded enough as it is.  

Like early ghost camping this topic is a bit early better go get my beer gonna be 5 pages soon.

1 minute ago, ehall said:

sarcasm my man

I'm slow this afternoon.  I'm starving myself after taking diet pills this morning, trying to burn a little fat.

6 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

I'm slow this afternoon.  I'm starving myself after taking diet pills this morning, trying to burn a little fat.

Eat some jerky. 

Last year in Gordon’s our entire riding group (except a couple bikes that took off, me included) got tickets for being in the closed off area. We didn’t even know it. Had no clue. Explained that to the blm but they were total jerks. Even tho we try to follow the rules. 

The best part was the blm were on big quads and when one tried to chase the few of us on bikes, he went over the handle bars. It was hilarious. We stopped and watched only one ridge up. He felt stupid and turned back to the cars.