I have seen a regular pattern on gd, and it’s probably why people like glamisMike and others don’t post for sale ads on here anymore or even want to be apart of this site like they once did  

When someone has something for sale, others have a habit of questioning them or even telling them that it is not what they say it is. 

I understand sometimes maybe a correction can be made, but is it really necessary? I think it’s actually quite rude and kills the ad, even goes as far as making the one posting the ad look foolish. 

Here’s two examples just from today.. (see pictures)

The first one is very mild, but is that necessary? 

if you look at the second one, you see it’s pissedoffbeetle who is making the accusation. He has two cars for sale on here and one would be led to believe he might just be trying to sabotage the for sale ad. ? Hell, I think I’ll go and do it to his ads just for the fun of it. Everyone is doing it, right? 

So let the question be asked.. is it really necessary on a regular basis for people to do this? And before you say it’s for the greater good so no one gets taken advantage of, don’t you think people need to do a little research on their own when making $20k, $30k and so on purchases? I know when I’m buying a $20 part I do my homework, much less anything more. 

Just my two cents, which isn’t worth anything, but please, add yours as well. I’m curious what others think..

EA380A7A-E47E-4837-9C85-8DAD325AC4AE.png

77A001DF-AEF0-4F8B-A567-B41FC41CE298.png

Personally, if I had a question that I thought would hurt someone's for sale ad, I would send them a PM.

I don't study too many for sale ads unless something in the title is what I'm looking for (very rare), but this seems like an interesting behavior you've spotted and I'll be on the lookout for it.  This forum is actually an interesting study sociologically, because I don't think there's many forums that bring together all these facets like bonding on a common hobby yet being able to branch out and post random thoughts and topics, place items for sale, plus the ability to post videos and images without many restrictions.

Subscribed! But not really, I DGAF.

Some folks have been saved by other members that pointed out shady stuff or flat out lies.

Other members have been pissed off or insulted by those that can't keep their expertise to themselves. 

The rule is simple, the For Sale section is not a discussion section. 

When needed Staff will step in or the OP can delete them repost their Ad.

It's all Free of Charge, you get some good Ad traffic to a specific group of people and best of all...we are not Craigslist level crazy.

Pick your battles, wherever the line is drawn their is a person that feels its a tad short or long oh where they feel it should be.

Maybe they did pm the person and they didn’t fix the ad so they put them on blast? At least that’s how I would handle it.

The two examples you gave were simply either a correction because the seller fat fingered SCU into SU and the other was a polite question about the brand again. Neither of those was anything close to an attempt to sabotage the ad. I've seen some cases where someone jumped in and straight up called the seller a liar and got pretty nasty about it. Now that would piss me off. 

Both of the examples you gave were just examples of someone offering a correction. One was correct, the other wasn't. Keep in mind, not everyone knows the difference between an SU and an SCU.

Dammit,  I thought you were selling A.D.D. killers. 😎

You may want to fix your typo. 

Can me and Jim get a volume discount on ADD killers??

I know what your sayin bones. I’d day the ones you pointed out are mild. There have been very harsh and critical comments from price to cond in peoples ads. And i agree completely inappropriate in open forum. Pm is appropriate. I’ve gone to inspect things and found they were 100% misrepresented, i didnt make a stink about it in open forum, but i did let the seller know they better pull their ad or i’d tell anyone that asked exactly what i saw when i inspected the item. The person did pull their ad

Add killers are subtractions.

I have had to remove ads from the site and repost them.  sometimes things get out of control.  the OP is in full control.  yes total pain to repost but it happens.  More of the mindset anymore just to delete what I don't like and repost. People are very quick to keyboard attack, think we all need to be less critical in all aspects of life and roll with the punches more.   

That's the bad part about posting on a public forum. Happens all the time. I have been the recipient of many of these types of posts because I buy and sell allot. I like to buy low and sell high. Some people can't stand that a person caught the deal before them or could get there shit together fast enough. Who knows. You can always delete your own threads and start over, that's the thing I like about gd.com.

Posted (edited)

i think you need more sleep :nite:

Edited by I'm Sorry

15 minutes ago, I'm Sorry said:

i think you need more sleep :nite:

Dude... so true. I read what I wrote last night and my post was a bit dramatic. But what do you expect having a brand new kid with 5 hours sleep all week... 

56 minutes ago, Ocotillo Boy said:

Can me and Jim get a volume discount on ADD killers??

The first ones always free. 

Any member can reach out to a Mod and ask to clean up a for sale Ad. We are less tolerant in those forums due to the guidelines we have in place there.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:36 AM, bent trix said:

Add killers are subtractions.

I see what you did there!

:lmao:

Posted (edited)

Just thinking out loud here..... Maybe those for sale ad killers are why the classified section is 1/10th the size that it was 24 months ago with significantly less traffic...……. Still love this site, but miss the for sale ads of $$$ cars and all the Fire Sale ads.  Even if I might never afford a $200k rail, it is nice to MS window shop.

Edited by 1newbie
update

You forgot the friend approach too where one prospective buyer has his three friends call/text and low ball to think they will get a better deal. Nothing wrong with a low ball its a free world but not a fake one to say the least.

I recently sold an item here on the board where the friends of the buyer that weren't even interested texted me low ball offers as if they were interested for only the buyer to try and get a deal. 

Funny thing, is when this happened to me the buyer which was a great guy actually told me his friends did it and although he paid what I was asking he said it was worth a shot. 

9 minutes ago, Brandon Long said:

You forgot the friend approach too where one prospective buyer has his three friends call/text and low ball to think they will get a better deal. Nothing wrong with a low ball its a free world but not a fake one to say the least.

I recently sold an item here on the board where the friends of the buyer that weren't even interested texted me low ball offers as if they were interested for only the buyer to try and get a deal. 

Funny thing, is when this happened to me the buyer which was a great guy actually told me his friends did it and although he paid what I was asking he said it was worth a shot. 

I have had my friends call posing as buyers when I have had someone over looking at what I'm selling! I just text them, hey call me in 5 minutes. :laugh:

As the guy is looking at it, Ring Ring...."Hello, Usually my friends are like hey dumbass you wanted me to call you?...and I end up having the conversation on my own. "Yeah I'm selling such and such..yep, still got it, in fact I have someone looking at it right now!" 

The guy looking usually perks up!

36 minutes ago, dbart said:

I have had my friends call posing as buyers when I have had someone over looking at what I'm selling! I just text them, hey call me in 5 minutes. :laugh:

As the guy is looking at it, Ring Ring...."Hello, Usually my friends are like hey dumbass you wanted me to call you?...and I end up having the conversation on my own. "Yeah I'm selling such and such..yep, still got it, in fact I have someone looking at it right now!" 

Haha nice.... 

36 minutes ago, dbart said:

cannot believe people actually do business like that...……...

13 hours ago, 1newbie said:

cannot believe people actually do business like that...……...

Human nature of wanting to win.

I have no problem with people jumping on adds and questioning certain things.  I once called out a car that I knew had an expensive trans that required a complete rebuild.  It was put back together and then listed for sale.  No mention of the problem.  

2 hours ago, r3meyer said:

I once called out a car that I knew had an expensive trans that required a complete rebuild.  It was put back together and then listed for sale.  No mention of the problem.  

I have to agree with you. I think if someone is knowingly trying to screw the customer, no one has a problem with calling them out. 

The #1 for sale ad killer for me is the 

"too much to list, call for details"

that one ties with the ads that have no pics.