Jump to content
mike dee

What clutch are you running ?

Recommended Posts

Running a stock Honda 3.5 for now with a 2d. Started with a 6 puck,  it’s a bit jumpy but grabs hard which is good.  What are you used?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we only use 6 puck disc  on everything, they are the least grabby,  what kind of peak torque numbers do you have?  what stage pressure plate (8 or 9")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9" dual disc, stage 4.

Smooth as butta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

we only use 6 puck disc  on everything, they are the least grabby,  what kind of peak torque numbers do you have?  what stage pressure plate (8 or 9")

Good question... I don’t member.  Gonna have tranny yanked for service and will find out soon....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lincster said:

9" dual disc, stage 4.

Smooth as butta.

Noted... thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for that HP, I would run a dual 8'' for a couple of reasons 

I have ran single 9''  Dual 9'' and Dual 8''

the best feel was a dual stage 3 or 4    8''  puck-6 this is very smooth it uses the steel pads so I have never used one up, 

my Chevy 454 makes around 720HP so the 8'' looked almost new after 3 years on the pads, but with the torque it was starting to crack between the pads or I would have kept it, 

I really like the feel of the 8'' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stage four 9" double disc is for over 1000hp. holly molly!  9" clutch parts are more expensive but they also allow you to run a lighter pressure plate with same grabbing.  no reason to do over kill on a clutch.  i prefer 9" and would not recommend going down to 8"  (less desirable and you would have to buy a new flywheel too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a 9" stage 3. It is very smooth. 402 LS2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is running a honda with a 2D,

single 9'' stage 3 should be a good affordable setup

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran a single 9” stage 3 with ls1 (450 hp) and 2D and it was perfect.

not sure what to run with stroked ls3 and S4 though🤔

whats everyone running with similar setup (@600 hp)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8" dual disc stage 4 or

9" dual disc stage 3

2 hours ago, Casey4646 said:

I ran a single 9” stage 3 with ls1 (450 hp) and 2D and it was perfect.

not sure what to run with stroked ls3 and S4 though🤔

whats everyone running with similar setup (@600 hp)?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a call from my tuner and he told me that my clutch is slipping under load now. So was just looking up clutches and but wondering why this would happen it's a dual disk 9 in stage three. Just put a new motor I. And new disks resurfaced everything else.I think my pressure plate may be to blame its probly 8 years old now do they lose grabbing  force over time? And am thinking that I may need to step up to a stage 4. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I had my Honda 3.5 I ran a 9" 6 puck with a stage 2 pressure plate. Always worked really well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just wondering what the life of the pressure plates is on our clutches are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, djk_rctruck said:

Got a call from my tuner and he told me that my clutch is slipping under load now. So was just looking up clutches and but wondering why this would happen it's a dual disk 9 in stage three. Just put a new motor I. And new disks resurfaced everything else.I think my pressure plate may be to blame its probly 8 years old now do they lose grabbing  force over time? And am thinking that I may need to step up to a stage 4. 

Did u have the pressure plate rebuilt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No just resurfaced

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have had it rebuilt. Probably needs new fingers. 
Kennedy replaces them when they rebuild them. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to be careful who is doing the resurfacing.  Sometimes they don't cut down the pressure plate mounting ledge on the flywheel. If the ledge isn't cut as far as the contact area the gap between the pressure plate and flywheel will be to big. Even new discs will slip.

I had a customer bring me new discs and fresh cut flywheel. They never cut the ledge. I could turn the pilot tool by hand after I tightened everything down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hondo said:

You have to be careful who is doing the resurfacing.  Sometimes they don't cut down the pressure plate mounting ledge on the flywheel. If the ledge isn't cut as far as the contact area the gap between the pressure plate and flywheel will be to big. Even new discs will slip.

I had a customer bring me new discs and fresh cut flywheel. They never cut the ledge. I could turn the pilot tool by hand after I tightened everything down.  

I think this is what I am running in to. I think I'm just going to buy a complete new clutch and fly wheel. Hell just did the motor an trans this way I know the entire drive train will be new. I think I will step up the pressure plate to a stage 4. And then I can send the other one in to be rebuilt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I would like to add to this conversation is clutch's need to be broken in BEFORE YOU RUN THE PISS OUT OF THEM ON THE DYNO!

I can't tell you how many people have called me to complain about a clutch slipping on the dyno, usually for the high horsepower guys that love seeing the big numbers on paper before they take the car to the sand.

A clutch is very much like a set of brakes, the materials are not that much different. They will need at least a day or 2 of easy driving to let them break in. 

If you are installing a brand new clutch or resurfaced with new discs, please take the time to break it in before seeing how high that line goes on the chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...