mike dee

Steel braided fuel lines or not?

Good practice to run the fuel pump with out starting the motor to look for leaks.  Second fire I have been around due to a cracked steel braided fuel line.  Visual inspections of your lines can be difficult.  No one hurt.

What type of fuel line do you use?  On my buggy I use the non steel braided snap lock fuel line

CF381665-70E2-4BE3-A686-6D06FE58C4B1.thumb.jpeg.4ebcb2e3167cb2523fce757fa182b2a3.jpeg

I like to use the classic steel braided like you have in the picture, however lately I have been buying the protective hose jacketing from my local Caterpillar tractor dealer and putting it over the hoses anywhere it chafes or  makes contact with something else.  I'm thinking of making all new fuel lines before my first trip and using the black hose if I can reuse all of my red n blue an ends ? I'm not sure

Funny you posted this, I found a crack in my steel braided fuel line fitting this afternoon. I grabbed a wrench and tightened it to exaggerate the crack a little. I will run to the hose and fitting place in El Cajon tomorrow and replace the line and fittings.  After messing with it today I decided that tomorrow i will put in a shutoff at the tank for future fuel filter changes. 

66C25190-E3D8-46B4-8657-1B7903A6C3BF.jpeg

I only use PTFE steel braided lines with Fragola fittings.  I've had the rubber lined steel braided hoses leak when the rubber deteriorates.  It's hard to see what condition the rubber hose is in because of the steel braided jacket.  It's hard to tell where the leak is coming from too.  PTFE will never degrade from fuel.  Kinda pricey but worth it to me.  I've had an engine fire too.

~jw

what Mr. West said..........  TFE lines are expensive, but IMO, worth it.  

When we Changed the Pro Mod over to the Turbo Config (from N2O), everything was done in pushlock.  I dont like them, but just about all of the pro mod teams run them now & they are WAY lighter than steal braided lines & the rupture pressure is way higher than what we would be using.  

Ive been using a bunch of the Phenix brand stuff recently, SUPER nice quality, on par with price & great folks to deal with.  almost every fitting on the buggy is Phenix . 

Bob

9 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

I like to use the classic steel braided like you have in the picture, however lately I have been buying the protective hose jacketing from my local Caterpillar tractor dealer and putting it over the hoses anywhere it chafes or  makes contact with something else.  I'm thinking of making all new fuel lines before my first trip and using the black hose if I can reuse all of my red n blue an ends ? I'm not sure

Yes the fittings can all be used with the black braided hose. Just recently redid a bunch of lines that were steel.

Redid all of my lines last season.

Still used steel braided, just like in the pix above.

Adding a fuel shut off valve this summer.

PTFE is the only way to go.

Good info.

I might change my lines over so I can switch to E85 if I want.

spend the money on good quality fittings and hose such as XRP, fragola, phenix.  those 3 are made in usa and are of much better quality.  the overseas shit typically gal badly when you assemble the fittings on a hose and when connecting them to components.

running e85 will deteriorate rubber hoses much quicker than normal gasoline.  ideally ptfe would be the best choice to use for it, but you can get a few years out of rubber based hoses, you just have to replace them when they start to get hard. 

PTFE is the way to go.

I had a steel braided line that looked perfect, fail on me while I was just letting the car idle in the garage.  Was running fine no leaks, walked away for a few minutes and came back to the garage floor covered in fuel.  could have burned everything down.  I replaced all the lines with the same style steel braided lines, because I was in a pinch for time.  These lines work just fine, but prob good practice to replace them every 3-5 years.

Next time around I will go w/ PTFE

Who are you guys using for your suppliers for PTFE hose and fittings?

I'm in San Diego.

1 hour ago, Mac said:

I'm in San Diego.

I made my own but it is a pain in the a## if you don't do it every day.     http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/stainless-steel-lines/

1 hour ago, Mac said:

I'm in San Diego.

X2. I’ve been screwing with the fuel line and I’m about out of patience. Sometimes it’s worth it to me to have someone do a 4’ piece for me. Any takers? Where can I go? In sd also

1 hour ago, Mac said:

I'm in San Diego.

G&J aircraft in Ontario will make it on the spot.  You can bring them all your old lines, and they'll make you new ones while you wait.

Sounds good but that’s a little far for me...

8649129B-FA00-4B4C-A027-6E1FF757FE1A.png

If you want to mail it out, I have gone to Joel @ Orme Brothers.  https://ormebrothers.com/

If you want someone local you might try HRP in El Cajon.  Ive not used them, but have talked with them on the phone seemed like good guys.  https://www.hoseandrubberproducts.com/contact-us

Posted (edited)

I bought all mine through summit.  They are the cheapest you will find for quality fittings.  HRP in El Cajon does not have PTFE...i checked.  They have a very limited supply of regular fittings too.  Summit has free returns with free shipping too...so if you buy the wrong fitting it's not big deal. 

Edited by jwest2sh

When i did my honda swap last year i went with black nylon braided line i bought way more than i needed but can easily replace the hoses.I will probably change the hoses every 2 years no matter what.I have seen name brand hose fail out of no where and some last in our old drag boats or my bosses old race cars.

Other things i learned with fittings is they dont take alot to seal up so dont over tighten them.

An assembly tip I learned is to use a small dab of anti-seize on the fitting and the taper.  This ensures a smooth make-up and seating without galling...

5 hours ago, Bobalos said:

If you want someone local you might try HRP in El Cajon.

Thank you. I went there first thing this morning and bought a fitting but they didn’t have the lines or the fuel shut off valve I needed. The fitting was not an easy fit on my existing hose and so I ended up just ordering a all new fittings and lines off summit from jwest’s recommendation from the other thread as well as this one. 

16 hours ago, Mac said:

I'm in San Diego.

VW Paradise in San Marcos. They have XRP in stock and the  tooling to make any length you need