big_daddy_jp

Is this build over my head???

3 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

Does anyone think this has been taken over the top already?  We aren't building home made aircraft here.

It’s only over the edge it you have a top notch Tatum or Funco. You’re not worthy otherwise 😂

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, fortyfour said:

Does anyone think this has been taken over the top already?  We aren't building home made aircraft here.

How dare you sir.  How. Dare. You. One must buy the latest, shiniest, coolest set of parts made.  Old buggies can't dune and, like 2Pac, are a menace II society only outstripped by RZRs.

:bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

1 hour ago, fortyfour said:

A Cessna 150 top speed is 124 mph.

My top speed with a 4.0 Olds Aurora engine is 115 mph.

How fast do you want to be going if/when you wreck?

Jonesin's car is considerably lighter and more powerful. With proper gearing, he could be going faster than a Cessna 150. 

I know you're klownin', but maybe you really should think about it like that.  

1 hour ago, fortyfour said:

Yes.

My .02. I joined this forum in 2004 and knew nothing about sandcars. Lessons and info I have learned here has been invaluable. Used to be a machinist and mechanic so I have some mechanical ability. With that said I have a long list of mistakes made and have learned. Bought a Sand Limo with a 22R that was so underpowered it would not even go in the baby dunes. On that same car kicked the back end up on a jump and blew the center out of the rear wheel and destroyed the caliper. Also had a stub break and the wheel come off of that car at 40 mph. Built my Funco from a roller and have changed it so many times with 100s upon 100s of hours spent.   Always asking for help along the way. Plenty of carnage there as well with doing some things wrong.  As far as the forum If someone didn't answer my questions I kept asking. And yes I know some of them were dumb. This place has been great and I admit I am a junkie. I would encourage anyone that needs help to have a thick skin and keep asking.  Plenty of great people here willing to help.

Posted (edited)

A Cessna 150 also weighs less than 1000 lbs. Jonesin's car probably weighs 2x that. :deadhorse:

Yes, I'm joking around too.  13 years ago socaldmax gave me the same advice to just buy a name brand roller chassis instead of building from scratch. I chose to build my own from scratch (Gasp!) and have no regrets.  Safety has always been top priority for me. I plan to take it on it's maiden voyage this Saturday. I have asked many questions on this forum and received advice from many members including socal.  Keep asking and those with the heart of a teacher will respond and try to help. Concerns expressed by big_daddy_jp and socaldmax are valid viewpoints as they speak from experience and safety should always be a concern.

Edited by Quicksand

11 minutes ago, Quicksand said:

A Cessna 150 also weighs less than 1000 lbs. Jonesin's car probably weighs 2x that. :deadhorse:

Yes. With 4 times the hp.

Yeah, I see your point.

:lmao:

10 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Yeah, I see your point.

No disrespect intended. You posted before I finished editing my post.

16 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Yeah, I see your point.

290 horse is 4 times the Cessna? 🤣

2 hours ago, fortyfour said:

People do that too....and to that, I say GO FOR IT, if that’s your thing!!! This is MURRICA 🤘🏼🇺🇸  But please... just don’t fly it over my house.  😜

1 hour ago, Quicksand said:

Yes, I'm joking around too.  13 years ago socaldmax gave me the same advice to just buy a name brand roller chassis instead of building from scratch. I chose to build my own from scratch (Gasp!) and have no regrets.  Safety has always been top priority for me. I plan to take it on it's maiden voyage this Saturday. I have asked many questions on this forum and received advice from many members including socal.  Keep asking and those with the heart of a teacher will respond and try to help. Concerns expressed by big_daddy_jp and socaldmax are valid viewpoints as they speak from experience and safety should always be a concern.

I'm glad you have no regrets! You certainly have far more fabrication knowledge and confidence than I do. 

Post up some pics when you get it out there for it's maiden voyage!      :cheers:

1 hour ago, Jonesin' said:

290 horse is 4 times the Cessna? 🤣

Don't stock LS engines make about 430 hp?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Don't stock LS engines make about 430 hp?

Not hardly... Pretty close to 300. Wait, I see what you did there! Isn’t this supposed to be one of those questions where “you figure it out on your own?” 🤣

Edited by Jonesin'

23 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

Not hardly... Pretty close to 300. Wait, I see what you did there! Isn’t this supposed to be one of those questions where “you figure it out on your own?” 🤣

Type 5.3L Gen V V-8 Small Block
Horsepower 355 hp (264 kW) @ 5600 rpm*

That's with factory tune and emissions. Probably easily 400 hp with headers and a good tune.

57 minutes ago, socaldmax said:
Type 5.3L Gen V V-8 Small Block
Horsepower 355 hp (264 kW) @ 5600 rpm*

That's with factory tune and emissions. Probably easily 400 hp with headers and a good tune.

I think 410hp is the norm for stock ls with sand package and tune.

Posted (edited)

Aluminum 5.3 out of an Envoy is 290 stock. That’s exactly what the engine is. Stock. Not sure what the Holley Terminator X will do to it...?

F29035C2-3368-4E17-A8BE-7738B8721EFB.jpeg

Edited by Jonesin'

20 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

Aluminum 5.3 out of an Envoy is 290 stock. That’s exactly what the engine is. Stock. Not sure what the Holley Terminator X will do to it...?

F29035C2-3368-4E17-A8BE-7738B8721EFB.jpeg

I’m pretty sure I stated with a sand package? You see in a sand car, you don’t have anymore emissions to rob hp. Also, you are running headers not the stock exhaust that came from a car. You also aren’t running the stock air cleaner so there are hp gains again. Lastly, you will be able to tune your ECU without worrying about the stock bullshit. Add that all up and you will be around 400. You may need a cam to hit 410.

3 minutes ago, big_daddy_jp said:

I’m pretty sure I stated with a sand package? You see in a sand car, you don’t have anymore emissions to rob hp. Also, you are running headers not the stock exhaust that came from a car. You also aren’t running the stock air cleaner so there are hp gains again. Lastly, you will be able to tune your ECU without worrying about the stock bullshit. Add that all up and you will be around 400. You may need a cam to hit 410.

Gotcha! Well, a cam and 243 heads will be down the line somewhere...

My wife’s cousin had an HRT car that would be similar to your car when finished. She had the 410hp 5.3 package from TurnKey. That car flat hauled ass. It loved to wheelie but it was controllable. 

1 minute ago, big_daddy_jp said:

My wife’s cousin had an HRT car that would be similar to your car when finished. She had the 410hp 5.3 package from TurnKey. That car flat hauled ass. It loved to wheelie but it was controllable. 

I’d love to catch a wheelie once in a while. If it will do it?

34 minutes ago, Jonesin' said:

Gotcha! Well, a cam and 243 heads will be down the line somewhere...

So now that we've established over 400 hp for your engine, the Cessna 150 is powered with a 4 cyl. 100 hp engine. Once again, you have 4x the power of a Cessna 150. 

When I post something, I want to make sure I'm not posting misinformation. Although I have a near eidetic memory I still Google a lot of stuff just to make sure that it's correct.

1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

So now that we've established over 400 hp for your engine, the Cessna 150 is powered with a 4 cyl. 100 hp engine. Once again, you have 4x the power of a Cessna 150. 

When I post something, I want to make sure I'm not posting misinformation. Although I have a near eidetic memory I still Google a lot of stuff just to make sure that it's correct.

LOL!!! I just had to Google eidetic!

9 hours ago, big_daddy_jp said:

LOL!!! I just had to Google eidetic!

Me too. I just could not remember where I had seen it before.

1 hour ago, Quicksand said:

Me too. I just could not remember where I had seen it before.

I see what you did there...

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, big_daddy_jp said:

Emissions equipment sucks and all, but 38% more horsepower from minor bolt ons seems a bit optimistic, no? These guys did what what's mentioned here, plus rockers, for 33hp...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/0611ch-bolt-on-performance

110hp isn't far from the claims Magnusson is making for its blower kit for the 5.3. Or is this what owner #3 says the 5.3 now makes... :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

I love threads like this..Lets everyone air out some dirty laundry..Looks like it has devolved somewhat into the rarefied air 200k+ buggies vs. homemade road warrior specials..Personally I like looking at the fancy buggies as much as the next guy but I have always had a soft spot for the homemade Rat buggies with the guy camping in a tent just to be out there even though he really can't afford it..That is unless he has a 3hp generator wound out all night playing mariachi music...