big_daddy_jp

Is this build over my head???

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Emissions equipment sucks and all, but 38% more horsepower from minor bolt ons seems a bit optimistic, no? These guys did what what's mentioned here, plus rockers, for 33hp...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/0611ch-bolt-on-performance

110hp isn't far from the claims Magnusson is making for its blower kit for the 5.3. Or is this what owner #3 says the 5.3 now makes... :bigrin 

This^^^  I read about someone's HP numbers based upon speculation and just give it a little chuckle, then move on. Isn't worth debating. 

In the end numbers are just numbers anyways. The only thing that really matters is if every time you step on that throttle it puts a smile on your face.

1 hour ago, big_daddy_jp said:

In the end numbers are just numbers anyways. The only thing that really matters is if every time you step on that throttle it puts a smile on your face.

It’s not the size that counts? :bigrin 

7 hours ago, Super Hunky said:

That is unless he has a 3hp generator wound out all night playing mariachi music...

Geeezus I have a buddy that has the loudest generator and lets it run till 1 in the morning while he watches movies inside his trailer. Almost every trip I shut it off and let him think it ran out of gas. At least it’s not powering the mariachi 

7 hours ago, Super Hunky said:

That is unless he has a 3hp generator wound out all night playing mariachi music...

3hp....................Pssshhh.      Try  5.          It'll run all night with the extended tank.     🎶

20190820_162021.jpg

55 minutes ago, SofaKing said:

3hp....................Pssshhh.      Try  5.          It'll run all night with the extended tank.     🎶

20190820_162021.jpg

You could put a cherry bomb on that to make it even louder!

:lol:

Are generators that noisy? I guess I just mentally block them out.  The 3am music from the huge camp in wash 6 during superbowl weekend is annoying though. 

I don't like projects that are over my head, mostly because I have a very bad shoulder and reaching over my head kills me. 

18 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I don't like projects that are over my head, mostly because I have a very bad shoulder and reaching over my head kills me. 

That, and over your head appears to be quite a tall project....

43 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

That reminds me. I wish I had a lift so I could work on stuff at a comfortable height. I can't stand working on the floor.

Posted (edited)
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:28 AM, big_daddy_jp said:

Please don’t get me wrong. I am all for people asking questions that help them in a certain direction. My point is, there are times when I come across a situation that is over my head at work. I ask the question and receive the info but also understand why it is what it is. Then there are those that ask a million questions and don’t know why they are doing it. Then it’s makes you wonder if they should even be there or if this job is “over their head”. Same goes with building a sand car. Most people can unbolt a part and bolt another one in its place. It takes a better person to know whether the bolts need antiseeze or loctite and if it needs loctite which color? A mechanic knows the Right bolt to use for the application, the torque spec of the bolt, and the torque pattern to use. These are the safety factors I think about. Asking what could be the problem with a car, what part to fix it, and even pointers on how to change it are one thing. Asking how to pretty much build and assemble your whole sand car is another story!

I get what you're saying about individuals building their own cars.    Ignorance can be a safety hazard.  This applies to 'professional' builders as well.    There are many posts on here about the inadequacies of people that are building and selling sandrails to others.    Whenever a newbie asks "Looking to buy my first sandrail, what does everyone suggest?"   There is a list of known, quality built sandrails (Funco, Tatum, Chenowth, etc.) along with a list of sandrails to avoid or reconsider.  (RFR, Mosebuilt, etc.)

There is generally additional info given to the newbie as to  possible issues to look for in the known quality builders, as to earlier models, updates or the like.  Showing that even quality builders continue to learn and improve.

What I'm getting at, is you have to start somewhere and learn somehow.   People on this board seem very critical of ignorant drivers that aren't mechanical that just buy & drive.  Why discourage someone that's trying to build and learn.    Not everyone is going to be good at it or have the same comprehension level.  Even if they ask a million questions, eventually they'll learn one way or another, either by the answers they are given or the lessons they learn by doing/re-doing.   As long as they have the willingness to continue, the fact that they are asking and not just assuming is a step in the right direction in my view.

That said, my first sandrail was a homebuilt car.  It was most of what I was looking for within my budget.  The lesson I learned: A sandrail from a know builder is likely to have far less issues and cost less in time and money in the long run than the homebuilt sandrail

Edited by azcg

Similarly you can relate this topic to every single thing in life . i have done some pretty dicy things to make another lap or pick up a couple thou at the stripe . Draining gear oil in a drag car was kinda risky for the result .  An old timer once told me the less u know the better

When I first posted here in the middle of building my first car I was told just because I have tools doesn't mean I should... 4 cars later still building. Now don't get me wrong that first car wasn't pretty... learned a lot. I listened to what was relevant (triangulation, dead tubes, etc. ) but some of bullcrap I had to ignore. Funny thing is I had a ton of fun with that first car. Not driving them like a-holes is the first step to coming back alive.

That said, I'm no fan of credit card warriors, when their crap breaks might as well light it on fire.