Squatcher

Continued. What makes a great dune run leader

Ok all the summer time talk about a badass or leader around here lets define.  What makes a great leader?

Also what size group.  I think 3 to 5 cars max is very fun and can notch it up some. 

Makes a smooth line though the dunes.

Knows where the last car in line is.

Knows the capability of the group he/she is with.

Not too slow , Not too fast

Knows where they are going.

No one left behind even when someone breaks. 

Cool subject well more defined than the other one. 

I would agree on the above, nothing worse than a big group of mixed skill levels. 

When you reach a stopping point and you have no idea where you are or how you got there.  That's a pretty rad ride as far as I'm concerned.  Means your head was down all the way, just hanging on and no time to take in the sights.

Squatcher…………………...you just defined the perfect Dune Leader. Most important  is knowing the least experienced rider/driver in your group and go their speed. I've always taken pride in getting everyone back to camp healthy with a huge grin! Then there's the rides with all "EXPERT" duners. Push the limit without jeopardizing anyone. And...………...know the equipment you're leading. Check out who is driving/riding what. That's important for the leader as well. Some motors just won't make it up! Gotta know that going in. Adjust your line to accommodate the machine. Every beverage stop should have great stories of

WOW, THAT WAS BITCHIN!!  Peace

Dune Group.JPG

Veterans Weekend 2010.JPG

Sunset Group.JPG

5, maybe even 6 if everyone’s skill level is up, is the Max for a good ride. Any more and typically you start raising the ratio of people needing to stop for this or that. 

I think a good leader does nice lines that flow. Gotta haul ass of course. And definitely is not going to go straight back to camp. 

When the group is bigger, you have to, as squasher stated, know peoples skills level for the ride, make sure everyone is accounted for, know how many cars/bikes there are, and make sure everyone does the buddy system looking out for the one in front and the one behind. Those big group rides are alot of fun, as long as the smaller “haulin ass rides” are being fulfilled. 

4CE05685-698D-4CA7-989D-6E3D9A531712.jpeg

as long as the smaller “haulin ass rides” are being fulfilled.  

That's a must!! Peace

I'll be the douche here...

There is also a responsibility of people who are following.  If you hear "fast ride", "big boy ride", etc...and you are not specifically asked to go, don't go.  Know the experience level and the intensions of the ride and don't ruin it for those looking forward to it.   Kind of sucks...but if not for others saying wait...I will leave you if you do this.  I don't play the whole "Vietnam Game" of "leave no one behind".  You ruin my ride...I'll leave you or break off and go do my own thing.  Don't worry about me...don't follow me.  I have duned by myself for years because I needed learn, didn't want to hold others up and also...didn't want to babysit.  Flame on to those that think I'm messed up.  

Also, if you get told during the ride that the group is going to take you to a point where you can take sand highway back...do it.  Let them go ride and you take the safe way back.  This way, if you break, continue to have issues or simply can't make it...they know exactly where to go look for you.  Just because you get left during a ride, doesn't mean people don't care or don't have your back.  But you owe them the same level of responsibility and decency to get back safe and not ruin everyones time.

On the flipside....if people are pushing you to go to help teach you and increase your skills, learn to trust a little.  So many times I've told people...follow me...don't grow a brain.  They try and grow a brain and boom...they get in trouble.

I will say...Sand Diva bought herself a X3 last season.  She isn't a newb but...she listened and asked questions and let us push her to trust herself.  In just a few trips, she hangs with us on any ride.  No issues what-so-ever.

5 minutes ago, Mac said:

I'll be the douche here...

There is also a responsibility of people who are following.  If you hear "fast ride", "big boy ride", etc...and you are not specifically asked to go, don't go.  Know the experience level and the intensions of the ride and don't ruin it for those looking forward to it.   Kind of sucks...but if not for others saying wait...I will leave you if you do this.  I don't play the whole "Vietnam Game" of "leave no one behind".  You ruin my ride...I'll leave you or break off and go do my own thing.  Don't worry about me...don't follow me.  I have duned by myself for years because I needed learn, didn't want to hold others up and also...didn't want to babysit.  Flame on to those that think I'm messed up.  

Also, if you get told during the ride that the group is going to take you to a point where you can take sand highway back...do it.  Let them go ride and you take the safe way back.  This way, if you break, continue to have issues or simply can't make it...they know exactly where to go look for you.  Just because you get left during a ride, doesn't mean people don't care or don't have your back.  But you owe them the same level of responsibility and decency to get back safe and not ruin everyones time.

On the flipside....if people are pushing you to go to help teach you and increase your skills, learn to trust a little.  So many times I've told people...follow me...don't grow a brain.  They try and grow a brain and boom...they get in trouble.

I will say...Sand Diva bought herself a X3 last season.  She isn't a newb but...she listened and asked questions and let us push her to trust herself.  In just a few trips, she hangs with us on any ride.  No issues what-so-ever.

yes

A GREAT Dune Run Leader...

KNOWS the SKILL LEVEL of those who are gonna follow him....and will adjust accordingly if skill level requires it (Faster or Slower)

COMMUNICATES the plan for that run, Long Ride to Duners Diner, Hitting Technical Sections, Wide Open Bowls, etc....and will adjust accordingly if something requires it (Fuel or Equipment issues, Motion Sickness, etc)

NOBODY left behind, period.

OFFERS you their ICDB when YORES runs out.

:crusty:

IMO a great leader will make the run enjoyable for all. It can be done so every type of equipment and skill level enjoy the ride. I've seen it.

6 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

NOBODY left behind, period.

We have had to ask people to forfeit rides because we know they won’t be able to keep up and the ride is NOT for them, but as for leaving someone behind out away from camp, whether they are having mechanical issues or not keeping up, is not an option in our group. We will all go back or break off and let a few go back with that person if a few choose, but never ever has anyone been asked to go back by themselves. 

But we also have a group where we dont invite people who aren’t known (or at least approved) by the majority. We have a tight knit group with rules in our group, and if someone new doesn’t follow those rules they aren’t allowed back or even asked to leave. It has nothing to do with the riding, all to do with the peace of the camp. Part of that peace is making sure everyone is accounted for and gets back to camp 

32 minutes ago, Mac said:

ahhhh :blush:  Thanks

:repost:

I'll chip in, if I describe you, please ignore.

Bad Leader: (This happened ) High powered buggy, (Full Travel) leading a group of new riders to the flag ceremony.

Proud if his high power, leads group into the deepest bowls available.

Stops at the bottom of the deepest bowl, causing the new riders to gang up behind him and stop.

Roars up the front face throwing sand on all behind him.

The new riders are not experienced enough to tackle that front slip face, and have limited power anyway.

The new riders turn around and head for camp, even though they are uncertain where it is.

They made it back to camp, but missed the flag ceremony.

If this was you, shame..

A good leader know who and what are behind him.

A good leader travels on a track that accepts all those following.

We always had a "Boys Run" after lunch, and the kids and women normally stayed in camp.

Those that went on the boys run were capable..

Yore mileage will vary..

2 minutes ago, B0NES said:

We have had to ask people to forfeit rides because we know they won’t be able to keep up and the ride is NOT for them, but as for leaving someone behind out away from camp, whether they are having mechanical issues or not keeping up, is not an option in our group. We will all go back or break off and let a few go back with that person if a few choose, but never ever has anyone been asked to go back by themselves. 

But we also have a group where we dont invite people who aren’t known (or at least approved) by the majority. We have a tight knit group with rules in our group, and if someone new doesn’t follow those rules they aren’t allowed back or even asked to leave. It has nothing to do with the riding, all to do with the peace of the camp. Part of that peace is making sure everyone is accounted for and gets back to camp 

If you follow the first two I listed, "Nobody Left Behind" will not be the PITA or Chore that it can be.

KNOWS the SKILL LEVEL of those who are gonna follow him....and will adjust accordingly if skill level requires it (Faster or Slower)

If yore the Leader, know who is following you and adjust the ride accordingly. Not always possible if a New Person just joined your group, if they agree to head their own way and can do so safely, then they were not left behind. Send them down Sand Highway and move on.

COMMUNICATES the plan for that run, Long Ride to Duners Diner, Hitting Technical Sections, Wide Open Bowls, etc....and will adjust accordingly if something requires it (Fuel or Equipment issues, Motion Sickness, etc)

Breakdowns happen, I doubt anyone here leaves those folks behind. This one is more of a "I know yore shit wont make the run we are about to do...You Cant Go, Sorry!" conversation that GREAT LEADERS are more then comfortable having. Why get your Fast Run interrupted? You have a pretty good idea of whose shit is dialed in vs those that are fixing negligent type stuff during the entire trip.

Again, knowing what you CAN know before you leave camp and having tough conversations before you leave makes for a better experience by most.

I expect Chiefs to REALLY be Chiefs and Indians to be ....well Indians.

4 minutes ago, Sand Diva said:

ahhhh :blush:  Thanks

No thanks necessary.  You're killing it for sure!

1 minute ago, CRUSTY said:

If you follow the first two I listed, "Nobody Left Behind" will not be the PITA or Chore that it can be.

If yore the Leader, know who is following you and adjust the ride accordingly. Not always possible if a New Person just joined your group, if they agree to head their own way and can do so safely, then they were not left behind. Send them down Sand Highway and move on.

Breakdowns happen, I doubt anyone here leaves those folks behind. This one is more of a "I know yore shit wont make the run we are about to do...You Cant Go, Sorry!" conversation that GREAT LEADERS are more then comfortable having. Why get your Fast Run interrupted? You have a pretty good idea of whose shit is dialed in vs those that are fixing negligent type stuff during the entire trip.

Again, knowing what you CAN know before you leave camp and having tough conversations before you leave makes for a better experience by most.

I expect Chiefs to REALLY be Chiefs and Indians to be ....well Indians.

Person I speak of will do an accordion thing with the line. Run fast and then slow to allow line to regroup. Then wash rinse and repeat, over and over. Works well!

As a leader, one thing that has certainly made it easier to lead is Headsets.  I no longer need to drive with an eye on the rearview mirror, I can focus on the flow and look 3-4 dunes out.  If you don't have headsets, you are not aloud to lead or be the sweeper in our group.

Being a leader is about consistent speed and flow, I don't care if it is 1st gear or 4th.  Eliminating the awkward lines/holes is what make a great dune ride for other drivers and their passengers.

1 minute ago, Cookie said:

As a leader, one thing that has certainly made it easier to lead is Headsets.  I no longer need to drive with an eye on the rearview mirror, I can focus on the flow and look 3-4 dunes out.  If you don't have headsets, you are not aloud to lead or be the sweeper in our group.

Being a leader is about consistent speed and flow, I don't care if it is 1st gear or 4th.  Eliminating the awkward lines/holes is what make a great dune ride for other drivers and their passengers.

Radios have definitely made things better...and worse.

There is no better way to keep people safe and informed than being able to talk.  With that said...coordinating your lunch and dinner menu over the radio...you need to be forcibly sodomized.  AND...there is nothing cute about giving your kid a radio to talk on.

Radios are a great tool...but not necessary.  We need to remember that.  I'll give my radio about 2-3 minutes to tune a freq and get moving.  If we can't coordinate in that timeline, chances are I've turned my radio off and just going to enjoy the dunes.  Also, if we can't find a freq to use that isn't clobbered, I'm turning my radio off. I'll let you know it's going off and don't expect me to respond after that.  

We set up a couple of freqs for our group but I'm not a tech guy and had no interest in wasting my time to figure it out.  I'll play with it now before season but if we get out there and people are on our freq...see the above.

7 minutes ago, Cookie said:

I think it ultimately boils down to this cookie. 

When I was out front, I went one speed.  The crew I ran with knew that speed and if somebody slower came along I knew where they were and I would try to circle back to grab them. If they kept falling back they would either give the I am going back to camp signal or I would make lots of circles to keep them in sight.

At the compound we had one guy roll up to our run of maybe a minimum of 12-14 quads figured big group and 4 girls in our group he could keep up. First stop and 20 minutes in he said we were a bunch of crazy's and he was going to sit at the hill instead of trying to keep up. Later back at camp he said he knew that it might be a fast group but with that many people and 4 wives on the run he figured he could easily keep up.... Not a chance.

I think a good leader is just that a leader. He learns, You know your group, break downs happen and some times as I have experienced you push your ride father than ever. That's how we get better but I will say that if your not the leader be honest with yourself if you need to tell the leader your uncomfy do it. If he is doing great let him know. The leader should give you some advice at a stop if you ask. To help you improve your driving. 

Radios have been great and a great warning tool like screaming stay left, stay right.  drop off!!! Makes dunes runs much safer.  leader and rear car at least need radios.  If I am leading a fast ride I know who is going and warn any new peeps.  If you get a warning then we might leave you if you can't keep up but only after a break and letting you know where sand hwy is. 

8 hours ago, B0NES said:

We have a tight knit group with rules in our group, and if someone new doesn’t follow those rules they aren’t allowed back or even asked to leave. It has nothing to do with the riding, all to do with the peace of the camp. Part of that peace is making sure everyone is accounted for and gets back to camp 

I have to know what these rules are please???

3 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I have to know what these rules are please???

You might think it sounds funny, but it’s really just simple rules of showing respect in our camp. The base group has been together for many years, I started going with the group when I was 10, and I married and started a family with a girl from that group. We are there to enjoy our time and ride. We get up early, not party all night and get wasted. If you sit by the fire all night and be loud and get hammered and disrupt others in the camp, you’ll be asked to leave. We have a bunch of young ones in the camp, so no foul language. Don’t be vulgar. Don’t trash camp. Be courteous. That includes being polite and respectful to the BLM even if SOME (not all) are jerks. It’s pretty crazy how most people can’t follow these rules. And that’s why our group is pretty much a closed group. 

Now don’t get it wrong, we all share and enjoy cold beers and cocktails and have a great time, but there is a time for that.

Really, The main thing is that we all show each other a big amount of respect because we are all there to ride and have a good time.