Jump to content
onanysunday

1959 Corvette project - Dad and son

Recommended Posts

My dad has built/owned 18 C1 Corvettes. This one will be a little different. For the first time he asked if I wanted to go in 50/50. I said hell yeah!!  We had to Drive 1500 miles round trip from Phoenix to Baypoint CA for this one. Price was so good it was worth driving that far. Gentleman owned it for about 10 years and tore it down then had it painted. Not bad and after we get all the dust off I think it will polish up pretty nice. The guy had 1.5 acres with crap everywhere. Took us four hours digging around and getting it packed. Sweated our asses off. Still probably missing some parts but a lot of extra also. (Car was in a garage after painting and his son rolled outside for us to load)  Actual owner was not there so it was a treasure hunt. His son had no clue what part was what mixed in with all this guys other car stuff.  We felt like pickers. Supposedly a numbers matching 283 with (2) 4 barrel carbs. 240 horsepower. We didn't check the numbers and really won't matter. Would be nice though. Big project ahead of us. Best part is my dad and I can build this together. 

20190814_083104.jpg

20190814_083114.jpg

20190814_083127.jpg

20190814_083136.jpg

20190814_091221.jpg

20190814_091225.jpg

20190814_100624.jpg

20190814_103104.jpg

20190814_103113.jpg

20190814_103118.jpg

20190814_104853.jpg

Screenshot_20190814-223036_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20190814-223230_Messages.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks weird and not sure if all pics downloaded

20190814_104853.jpg

Screenshot_20190814-223036_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20190814-223230_Messages.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a great body style, the 58 and 59s when they went to the dual headlights. That 283 is a great motor. Looking forward to seeing more of this. Keep us posted. Congrats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:thumbup: love it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow what a find!! Should make a great car and memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full restore or going restomod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is awesome that you guys are going to get to build it together and save it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How Great! Have fun.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the guy liked to take stuff apart but not putting them back together. Good thing you guys know the parts because missing a little trim piece could be a big deal. DON~~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you're gonna do...You want to be a part of Wing Wednesday so you're gonna fix this thing up right with a HUGE Monster Wing and every know accessory you can get from the VatoZone?

Right?

:lmao:

Congrats on the find...can't wait to see what you do with this. Have fun with Pops too...that is awesome!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AZDUNERAT said:

Full restore or going restomod?

We talked about this. He has plenty of 5.3 LS style motors laying around. Resale goes way up if we do that.  It would get an auto trans also.  But then you go down the rabbit hole. 9" rear end. (Stock rear will break easy!) Electric power steering, better wheels, etc.  We have a ton of parts and my thought is kiss and touch every nut and bolt and put back together. Chrome front and rear bumpers are done and nice. We got part of an interior kit but I hate the color. Kind of a weird bluish green. I say black for the new interior kit. First step will be power wash all of the dust and then start the motor up. Maybe this Saturday. Everything is still in the trailer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, donparscale said:

Looks like the guy liked to take stuff apart but not putting them back together. Good thing you guys know the parts because missing a little trim piece could be a big deal. DON~~~

He had a bunch of parts in an old Winnebago that looked like it had been sitting for 20 years. My dad was in there well over an hour. (We were soaked from sweating in there) Without his knowledge no way we find most of the parts. Tons of new parts for a bunch of other cars in there. He was almost done and noticed a box. Pulled it out and said 59 vette on the side. New seat springs in the box!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dbart said:

I know what you're gonna do...You want to be a part of Wing Wednesday so you're gonna fix this thing up right with a HUGE Monster Wing and every know accessory you can get from the VatoZone?

Right?

:lmao:

Congrats on the find...can't wait to see what you do with this. Have fun with Pops too...that is awesome!

 

:sha::thumbup:

137070325.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, onanysunday said:

We talked about this. He has plenty of 5.3 LS style motors laying around. Resale goes way up if we do that.  It would get an auto trans also.  But then you go down the rabbit hole. 9" rear end. (Stock rear will break easy!) Electric power steering, better wheels, etc.  We have a ton of parts and my thought is kiss and touch every nut and bolt and put back together. Chrome front and rear bumpers are done and nice. We got part of an interior kit but I hate the color. Kind of a weird bluish green. I say black for the new interior kit. First step will be power wash all of the dust and then start the motor up. Maybe this Saturday. Everything is still in the trailer. 

Wasn't this what your dad raced back in the 60's-70's, set up gasser style?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Richard H said:

Wasn't this what your dad raced back in the 60's-70's, set up gasser style?

Yes he hand built that car. It set several national records. Ran high 9s in the 60s which was very fast back then. Then it crashed.  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=20668

Vette3.jpg

Vette7.jpg

Edited by onanysunday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High 9's were fast then and they are still very expensive to run consistently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great project for you and your dad! And a great year for the car...same year i was born...LOL!! I'm getting ready to start my 240Z project with my son. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, onanysunday said:

Yes he hand built that car. It set several national records. Ran high 9s in the 60s which was very fast back then. Then it crashed.  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=20668

Vette3.jpg

Vette7.jpg

Yep the old AHRA days. Tough to be competitive in national classes. Work with a D hot rod, ran high 11's low 12's, national number was in high 9's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember those days, this was at B-LINE. DON~~~

Dons pictures 307.jpg

Dons pictures 315.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, donparscale said:

I remember those days, this was at B-LINE. DON~~~

Dons pictures 307.jpg

Dons pictures 315.jpg

Not too many people remember Bee Line. It is was a trap shooting club last I saw.  My dad used to hang out there in the 70's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another late 60s car my dad built. Gul Guggisberg was a friend and customer. They owned the Guggys coffee shops. The car was recently purchased and completely redone. Some great pics here including an oldie of my dad and Gil.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/brilliant-blue-1941-willys-known-guggys-gasser-born/

 

Quote

First they had to source a suitable starting point. They knew they wanted a Willys coupe and found two usable ’41 bodies that they turned into one solid body and chassis, keeping the other parts as spares. From there, Gil and Chuck discussed the power for the ride. “We both wanted to run a big-block Chevy with a 727 TorqueFlite,” Chuck recalls.

When it came to designing and building the race car, Chuck was “the only cook in the kitchen,” he proudly states. “Nobody else was involved with the build, and I handbuilt the axle and all the suspension pieces by myself.” For the next year and a half, he worked on the coupe, doing the chassis and building a stout Chevrolet 427-based drivetrain. One key ingredient in this rod’s recipe was the all-important B&M adapter that mated the Chevy powerplant to the Chrysler transmission.

 

FB_IMG_1494820191520.jpg

FB_IMG_1494820214793.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More pictures from Bee Line dragway. Loper and KS Pittman. DON~~~

New pictures 011.jpg

New pictures 019.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, donparscale said:

I remember those days, this was at B-LINE. DON~~~

Dons pictures 307.jpg

Dons pictures 315.jpg

I will never forget that day, if you look in the other lane you will see the hood of a 61 Chevy. It had a Hemi and all I heard all day was this was the last time I would win street eliminator, after leaving the line I never seen him. DON~~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unload and sort parts day. Amazing how many parts are on one of these cars. Of course we have extra stuff which is nice.

20190817_090926.jpg

20190817_090957.jpg

20190817_091419.jpg

20190817_094159.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New seat springs

20190817_094807.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...