jwest2sh

Upgrading the New to me enclosed trailer

So I sold my 24x8 enclosed a couple months ago and picked up another used one off of craigslist up in Riverside.  It's a Hallmark 24x8.5.  I had been changing wheels on the buggy for 9 years and was sick of it.  I'll be able to drive right into the new trailer with my dirt wheels or sand wheels on the buggy!  :headbang:

I got it from a guy who owned a cabinet company so he built a pretty nice oak kitchen style cabinet for the front of the trailer....which was immediately sold on Offerup because it wouldn't work for me.  I picked up a toolbox from home depot and planned on building some cabinets for the front and putting a fuel station in it.  After doing some research...it was actually cheaper to have Universal Trailers do it for me.  They did the front cabinets with aluminum faces, installed my tool box and the 54 gal fuel station for $2700 cash.  Just for me to buy the materials to do the project was well over 3K.  So that's what I did.  It took them about 3-1/2 weeks to do it but it came out pretty nice.  They were a little challenging to deal with, mainly due to the language barrier, but they got it done.  They left a mess in the trailer but I still think it was a good deal.  I picked it up last Saturday. 

The trailer sits pretty high so I put some fold out steps on it for the side door.  The door is 4' wide so I got two 24" stairs from etrailer.com.    I'm in the process of installing an air hose reel and an electric cord reel inside the cabinet.  I plan on putting a 6" access door on the passenger side to access the hose and cord from the outside.  

A couple other minor upgrades I've done:

Outside flood lights changed to LED

Clearance lights changed to LED

Beefed up the tongue that was starting to bend from tongue weight on the jack...had to do this on my last trailer too.

New G rated tires

Low point drain on the fuel tank

Rewired the tongue jack and plug and cut out the rats nest

Here's a couple pics of the progress....

~jw

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

Looks great John.  Those outside floods -

1. Are they 12v or 120v?

2. Where did you get them?

Looks great!

2 hours ago, evantwheeler said:

Looks great John.  Those outside floods -

1. Are they 12v or 120v?

2. Where did you get them?

The trailer has 30A and 12V.  The outside lights are 120V.  The inside has both 120V and 12V lights.  I got the outside lights on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Q647ZP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

~jw 

Nice upgrade.  Seems like  great price to do all that work.  I really need to ad a fuel station to mine.  I'm ripping out the 120v four bulb fluorescent lights in my trailer and going with all LED.

Just now, L.R.S. said:

Nice upgrade.  Seems like  great price to do all that work.  I really need to ad a fuel station to mine.  I'm ripping out the 120v four bulb fluorescent lights in my trailer and going with all LED.

Nice....I want to do that down the road too.  Mine has two florescent fixtures inside.  I saw the 4' LED bulbs on sale at Costco last week.  They were pretty cheap. 

I couldn't buy the parts for the fuel station for what Universal installed it for!  Just the parts through Mirage was almost $1700 and they only had a 40 Gal.  Universal did it for $1500 installed and it's 54 gal.

~jw

Night and day difference. Really dig the cabinets!

Posted (edited)
On 8/18/2019 at 10:19 PM, jwest2sh said:

Nice....I want to do that down the road too.  Mine has two florescent fixtures inside.  I saw the 4' LED bulbs on sale at Costco last week.  They were pretty cheap. 

I couldn't buy the parts for the fuel station for what Universal installed it for!  Just the parts through Mirage was almost $1700 and they only had a 40 Gal.  Universal did it for $1500 installed and it's 54 gal.

~jw

Those Costco LED fixtures are pretty damned bright.  Have 4 in my garage and it's not far from daytime in there.  Only bummer is they're hanging mount, not direct mount, so you have to futz with them a little.

Edited by Rockwood

19 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Those Costco LED fixtures are pretty damned bright.  Have 4 in my garage and it's not far from daytime in there.  Only bummer is they're hanging mount, not direct mount, so you have to futz with them a little.

I was looking at just the 4’ bulbs. I wonder if they will fit in my florecsent fixtures?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

I was looking at just the 4’ bulbs. I wonder if they will fit in my florecsent fixtures?

I did that, but had problems with the T12 fixtures I have staying tight. The Costco tubes are universal, but were super loose in the fixture compared to a regular T12 bulb and would flicker/need futzing with every time I opened the garage door.  Ended up yanking them and threw up the fixtures.  Wasn't a huge price difference, and at least now you're not powering a ballast to then power whatever circuitry to convert it back to DC for the LEDs. 

Edited by Rockwood

32 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

Not sure of the process, but not all florescent ballasts will run LED bulbs. I have 48 that I need to switch out. Cheaper just to buy all new complete fixtures w/ LED already installed. I'd be interested if  a GD member knows of a cheaper way to switch over. 

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I did that, but had problems with the T12 fixtures I have staying tight. The Costco tubes are universal, but were super loose in the fixture compared to a regular T12 bulb and would flicker/need futzing with every time I opened the garage door.  Ended up yanking them and threw up the fixtures.  Wasn't a huge price difference, and at least now you're not powering a ballast to then power whatever circuitry to convert it back to DC for the LEDs. 

Ahhhh. Ok. Thanks. 👍🏼

Pulled the stairs off, pained primed and painted everything black then re-installed them.  I got the air and electric cord reels mounted inside the cabinet.  Waiting for the 5" access door to arrive so I can install it on the wall next to the reels.  Picked up a 12V interstate battery today.  I'm going to build a shelf inside the lower cabinet to mount the battery and compressor on.  I'm trying to make the most of the cabinet space.  My goal is to not have anything on the floor of the trailer except the buggy, the quad and the dirt bike.  I was so burnt out on tripping over stuff to get to anything in the trailer!!! 

~jw

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_2002[1].JPG

That is a good looking set up.

IMG_1666.thumb.JPG.13ea81959ea38ba448edccd2f8a7c0d0.JPG

Posted (edited)

I ordered led lights for my garage from Amazon. They can be mounted flat on a wall or roof. They are also much brighter then a three buld 4' florescent light. I replace 10 of them with 8 LED's and it is amazing how much brighter they are. Also Harbor Frieght has a 4' 2 buld LED light as well. They are all priced about the same but the Amazon bundles does save you some cash.

I have a Halmark and have wanted to put lights on the sides that angle from the wall to the roof.

I have to add I installed the same step on mine you did but only one. :thumbup:

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

3 hours ago, SofaKing said:

That is a good looking set up.

IMG_1666.thumb.JPG.13ea81959ea38ba448edccd2f8a7c0d0.JPG

Thanks...just bought the truck last year and I'm in the process of bringing her back to life.  I usually tow the trailer with my RV except for daytrips....but I'm planning on doing more of them now that I don't have to change wheels every time.

~jw

3 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I ordered led lights for my garage from Amazon. They can be mounted flat on a wall or roof. They are also much brighter then a three buld 4' florescent light. I replace 10 of them with 8 LED's and it is amazing how much brighter they are. Also Harbor Frieght has a 4' 2 buld LED light as well. They are all priced about the same but the Amazon bundles does save you some cash.

I have a Halmark and have wanted to put lights on the sides that angle from the wall to the roof.

You wouldn't happen to have the link for them on Amazon would you?

thanks,
~jw

10 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

The Costco ones put out more light for less than the HF ones, plus that Costco return policy.  Like I said, only bummer is there isn't a direct mount hole, so you have to improvise somewhat.  Meant to take some pictures when I got home, but life... :bigrin 

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The Costco ones put out more light for less than the HF ones, plus that Costco return policy.  Like I said, only bummer is there isn't a direct mount hole, so you have to improvise somewhat.  Meant to take some pictures when I got home, but life... :bigrin 

I haven't even seen the Harbor Fright lights at a store, just saw that they have them. I went the Amazon route and am very impressed with how bright they are.

14 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I haven't even seen the Harbor Fright lights at a store, just saw that they have them. I went the Amazon route and am very impressed with how bright they are.

Yep, forgot to mention: look almost exactly like the Costco ones except open in the middle so you can direct mount them easily.

I got the shelf made that hold the battery box and the compressor.  I cut in the access door on the outside of the trailer so I can pull the power cord and air hose to the outside of the trailer.  My parts came in for the low point drain on the fuel tank. Going to try and knock that out this week.  I forgot to take a pic of the access door from the outside but I'll do that later.

~jw

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

good job, really looks good

I LOVE that workbench set up with everything hidden. GREAT JOB...… I am stealing a few ideas for my 24 footer!! Keep the pics flowing!

:poule:

56 minutes ago, J Alper said:

good job, really looks good

Thanks J....gonna start wiring everything up later this week.

~jw