Jump to content
Mac

New buggy owner here to bitch...

Recommended Posts

I bought my first buggy in December this last year.  It's a SU Ultra light.  Thing is/was in great shape.  No issues.

BUT...enter me...

I'm really particular in how I want stuff and how I maintain my stuff.  I'm changing up a few things...make it mine.  I'm changing the steering up from hydraulic to electric, re-routed the wiring...(I hate seeing wires).  Doing all the off season maintenance and such.  Wish I had more resources and money to do everything I want but hey...that's buggy life.

My issue is finding parts....knowing what to order...all that crap.  I'm a what the year and part number kind of guy.  I hate just "figuring it out" or "just find something that works".  I guess it goes back to my days as an aircraft mechanic and quality assurance inspector.  "Good enough" isn't.  There is the right way and the wrong way.

So what do all you guys do when faced with this?  I'm already seeing there aren't the parts I want so I'm making them.  Mainly for aesthetic purposes right now, but as I go through things and find things that need to be replaced, I'll redesign/engineer stuff to make more sense or easier to work on in the future.  Still, I feel like I'm just winging it in finding parts.  I keep records and files on things I do to have a list in the future but man...what a pain to not have it the first time around.

I've contacted the builder.  Sadly, they haven't been much help.  I get a lot of "I can't remember", or "you can bring it to us and we'll do it".  

Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got nothing but a smart azz reply so I’m no help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of buggy stuff is custom or proprietary. Post pics of what u need and people will help you find those obscure switches, cv boots, steering universals, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, half the fun is figuring out how to replace it. Enjoy it and when you're done, you can step back and say you did it.  Not many can (hence buggy resale value). Whenever you're looking for a part you can't find, channel your inner Spicoli, and get it done. :bigrin 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U r in the wrong world if u r a “year/make/model” kind of guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of us may have already been through what you're improving, so posting it here could get you some help in finding what you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never owned a Buggy, but these two guys who have seem to make perfect sense...it is why a place like GD exists.

 

8 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

Many of us may have already been through what you're improving, so posting it here could get you some help in finding what you need.

 

14 minutes ago, 1newbie said:

A lot of buggy stuff is custom or proprietary. Post pics of what u need and people will help you find those obscure switches, cv boots, steering universals, etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Right now, I'm looking for wheel/spindle bearings.  I shook the tire and it has a slight wobble.  I'm pretty sure it's the bearings.  The one on the backside is a sealed bearing.  I looked at Kartek and they have some. I'm just going to have to take it out and "mic" it.

Then there's the the pulsation damper on the fuel rail.  This is killing me that is doesn't have an AN6 fitting on it.  Looking at stock, why does mine have a bleed off back to the tank?  If I don't need the bleed off, I can get a stock one and get rid of one more hose and thing I have to deal with and look at.

 

20190820_101649.jpg

Edited by Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a fuel regulator or is that the regulated return to the tank?  You will need one or the other I would assume for your setup.  As far as finding parts I could see it being a pain for someone else build.  I have built/assembled both of my buggies and keep good records of what I used and if I ever sell will give to the new owner.  

Is your front rims combo or just VW spindle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you are in over your head... I live close to kartek so I bring what I need in there with me and match it up. What motor do you have? I haven’t seen anything like that on any fuel rails I’ve touched. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blacklisted said:

Do you have a fuel regulator or is that the regulated return to the tank?  You will need one or the other I would assume for your setup.  As far as finding parts I could see it being a pain for someone else build.  I have built/assembled both of my buggies and keep good records of what I used and if I ever sell will give to the new owner.  

Is your front rims combo or just VW spindle?

I'm thinking the pulsation regulator has a return for a reason.  I'm still learning about Subis.  If I can't find one with an AN nipple...I'll TIG one on to it.  Maybe John will chime in here.  He built it... :lol:


As far as the spindle...No clue.  Here is what I have.

20190820_105532.jpg

20190820_105543.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

Sounds like you are in over your head... I live close to kartek so I bring what I need in there with me and match it up. What motor do you have? I haven’t seen anything like that on any fuel rails I’ve touched. 

Definitely not in over my head.  Just never owned a rail or a Subi before.  Just growing pains.  I like to have answers, not guesses.

It's a 2.5 Subi.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mac said:

Right now, I'm looking for wheel/spindle bearings.  I shook the tire and it has a slight wobble.  I'm pretty sure it's the bearings.  The one on the backside is a sealed bearing.  I looked at Kartek and they have some. I'm just going to have to take it out and "mic" it.

Then there's the the pulsation damper on the fuel rail.  This is killing me that is doesn't have an AN6 fitting on it.  Looking at stock, why does mine have a bleed off back to the tank?  If I don't need the bleed off, I can get a stock one and get rid of one more hose and thing I have to deal with and look at.

 

20190820_101649.jpg

That's just the stock fuel pressure reg that has to return to the tank.

It already has Johns adapter on it for the fuel rail, a lot of cars have this same design.

You could go aftermarket external FPR but you will always have the a hose returning to the tank.

Far as bearings go need to find out what yours are combo, king kong.  That'll get you started on the bearing size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GlamisGreengo said:

That's just the stock fuel pressure reg that has to return to the tank.

It already has Johns adapter on it for the fuel rail, a lot of cars have this same design.

You could go aftermarket external FPR but you will always have the a hose returning to the tank.

Far as bearings go need to find out what yours are combo, king kong.  That'll get you started on the bearing size

Just called Outfront.  I have no patiences for this crap... :lol:

I have a pulsation damper.  I believe I can replace it with a FPR and I have found one that gives me what I want.

As far as the spindles...I'll figure it out.  "Someone" said I should use the tech section and ask... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd pull the bearing and the seal, they may have numbers on them that the parts stores can reference. If you make it out to Alpine, Latest Rage is out here and I bet they have them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mac said:

Just called Outfront.  I have no patiences for this crap... :lol:

I have a pulsation damper.  I believe I can replace it with a FPR and I have found one that gives me what I want.

As far as the spindles...I'll figure it out.  "Someone" said I should use the tech section and ask... 

Pull the wheel off so the spindle snout can be seen, easy to id. Guessing from photo of back, combo or type 1 but need to see where nut threads on.

Edited by Richard H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AlpineFunco said:

I'd pull the bearing and the seal, they may have numbers on them that the parts stores can reference. If you make it out to Alpine, Latest Rage is out here and I bet they have them. 

 

1 minute ago, Richard H said:

Pull the wheel off so the spindle snout can be seen, easy to id.


Just found this...  So yeah.  Gonna just pull the wheel and measure it and then I'll know.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the bearings bad or does the spindle nut just need to be tightened?   Most all bearings and seals will have the number on them when you pull them.  Also out front has a nice billet fuel pressure regulator that will use AN fittings and attach to the fuel rail.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take the bearings out and go to any "good" bearing supplier.

They will match it up no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlpineFunco said:

I'd pull the bearing and the seal, they may have numbers on them that the parts stores can reference. If you make it out to Alpine, Latest Rage is out here and I bet they have them. 

Latest Rage has the bearings:

http://www.latestrage.net/front-suspension-566/wheel-bearings-2310

And the inner seals:

http://www.latestrage.net/front-suspension-566/wheel-seals-2311

AKA Timken 494122, a crankshaft seal for some Hyundai or other and commonly available at any of the auto parts stores.

Edited by Rockwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bearing might not need to be replaced at all. Pull the cap off, loosen the pinch bolt and tighten the spindle nut a little. Do this while spinning the tire to make sure it turns freely. Check it for the 'wobble' and see if it's gone.  Or tighten the spindle nut until you cannot turn the tire and back it off a little at a time until the tire will spin and check for the wobble.

Why are you replacing the hydraulic steering with electric?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Needs 2'' hollows, and most people like myself or LRS would use a after aftermarket fuel regulator, I think just posting pictures will help find the parts you need, allot of experience on the board with what is now typical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did a refresh on an 04 SU Ultralight last year. I feel your pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy hell. I see a RZR in your future. In your past too 😂 sorry just hoe'n thru. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sucks.....thats why we have 8 gen 4 funcos in our group.   Lots of parts in camp, lots of knowledge.     It's the "southwest airlines" model.     One type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...