Mac

New buggy owner here to bitch...

Trust us, just call KarTek or make a run up north, they have never let me down.  I am amazed at their knowledge and inventory.  When it comes to engine, just call John at Outback.

34 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

Hey Mac, I suppose you finally feel the buggy pain and see why SxSs are so popular!  Of course, once you get it running right and get it on a good dune rip, you'll see nothing replaces a well sorted sand rail for pure duning.  Good luck with the adventure, and try not to let it burn you out (I've been there). 

-TJ

There was never any thought or doubt.  I always wanted a buggy.  Just had to wait for "mine" to come along.  I picked this car up showroom perfect.  I'm just going through it and doing things because I'm freaking anal and always like to have my stuff in top shape.  

I was able to get half the season in it and this thing rips and handles like a dream.

12 minutes ago, Cookie said:

Trust us, just call KarTek or make a run up north, they have never let me down.  I am amazed at their knowledge and inventory.  When it comes to engine, just call John at Outback.

I was able to find the right bearings online...hopefully.  NTN are almost 1/8" thicker than Timkens.

As far as Outfront, I know John's the expert.  I did call them and just got the "You can bring it to us and we can do it..."  No thanks.  I'm still baffled that I can't just buy a new fuel pressure regulator to replace my stock pulsation damper.  There has to be a "turn clock ways all the way and back off "X" turns to match it."  I'm quite certain not every street racer out there dynos their car every time they put something new on their car to be "safe".

10 minutes ago, Mac said:

There was never any thought or doubt.  I always wanted a buggy.  Just had to wait for "mine" to come along.  I picked this car up showroom perfect.  I'm just going through it and doing things because I'm freaking anal and always like to have my stuff in top shape.  

I was able to get half the season in it and this thing rips and handles like a dream.

Word.  Glad you found a good one for you, and glad you gave a buggy a try.  I've had some pretty neat SxSs and I love the things, and they work very well - but nothing, NOTHING truly replaces a buggy in the dunes. 

-TJ

If this stuff drives you nuts, I strongly recommend that you never under any circumstance ever even think of getting a motorhome. 

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

If this stuff drives you nuts, I strongly recommend that you never under any circumstance ever even think of getting a motorhome. 

TRUE DAT!  had to run the gauntlet yesterday with a mirror replacement!!! SUCKS!!!

18 minutes ago, POULE43 said:

TRUE DAT!  had to run the gauntlet yesterday with a mirror replacement!!! SUCKS!!!

Yep, I have Ford dssh AC parts, mercury headlights, Corvette taillights, a dash radio that is a din and a half and there is a rumor that a replacement may exist. I also have a Ford electric vacume pump out of a 2002 or newer diesel truck. You learn all that if you don't want to pay the 300% markup. Its makes a sandrail look easy. I drive 10 minutes to KarTek and get everything I need. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Mac said:

I was able to find the right bearings online...hopefully.  NTN are almost 1/8" thicker than Timkens.

As far as Outfront, I know John's the expert.  I did call them and just got the "You can bring it to us and we can do it..."  No thanks.  I'm still baffled that I can't just buy a new fuel pressure regulator to replace my stock pulsation damper.  There has to be a "turn clock ways all the way and back off "X" turns to match it."  I'm quite certain not every street racer out there dynos their car every time they put something new on their car to be "safe".

Not a scoobie expert, but that fuel pressure regulator looks identical to the Nissan ones rated for 3 bar (44psi) of fuel pressure.  When we've replaced them after putting a big fuel pump in (stock can't hang and results in shit idle), we just put the new adjustable job (1:1 is stock on Nissans) on, start the car, pull the vacuum hose, and set the adjustable job to 44psi.  

Edited by Rockwood

10 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Not a scoobie expert, but that fuel pressure regulator looks identical to the Nissan ones rated for 3 bar (44psi) of fuel pressure.  When we've replaced them after putting a big fuel pump in (stock can't hang and results in shit idle), we just put the new adjustable job (1:1 is stock on Nissans) on, start the car, pull the vacuum hose, and set the adjustable job to 44psi.  

I have a direct reading gauge I'm going to throw on it and figure it out for myself. 

2 minutes ago, Mac said:

I have a direct reading gauge I'm going to throw on it and figure it out for myself. 

Word.  Easy to figure out the rising rate: just plumb your boost gauge in line with it, get your air compressor and CAREFULLY (super easy to throw 100psi in that tiny ass line) add 10psi of pressure and measure fuel pressure while it's running.  Fuel pressure goes up by 10psi, you have a 1:1 regulator (100:1 says it's 1:1 as the OEM is just trying to keep fuel flow constant).  

Also, looks like your fuel rail just has an adapter to run the stock job, so should be super easy to plumb since that's probably a female 1/4" NPT orifice (hehe) on the end.

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Also, looks like your fuel rail just has an adapter to run the stock job, so should be super easy to plumb since that's probably a female 1/4" NPT orifice (hehe) on the end.

Yup.  I have a full kit for fuel system adapters and such.  

I had just hoped that someone had already done this and would share.  I'm finding there are a lot of armchair mechanics and owners that like to shit on your parade but don't really have any knowledge to share.  I'm back to just doing things myself.

Just now, Mac said:

Yup.  I have a full kit for fuel system adapters and such.  

I had just hoped that someone had already done this and would share.  I'm finding there are a lot of armchair mechanics and owners that like to shit on your parade but don't really have any knowledge to share.  I'm back to just doing things myself.

Think of all the beer you can drink while figuring it out... :bigrin 

4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I hate you... :lol:

I became gluten intolerant last year...I can't drink beer anymore.  And for some reason...it seems too bougie to some for me to drink a glass of whiskey instead... :lol:

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

My thoughts exactly.

However, I drink the beer and figure things out, but then I'm in no shape to do it. 

The next day I can't remember what I figured out, so I have to drink some more beer so I can figure it out again.

Fortunately I eventually run out of beer, temporarily, and get things done.  :bigrin

19 minutes ago, Mac said:

I became gluten intolerant last year...I can't drink beer anymore.  And for some reason...it seems too bougie to some for me to drink a glass of whiskey instead... :lol:

You can class it down with some Fireball, but I doubt you'll get anything done... :bigrin 

12 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

My thoughts exactly.

However, I drink the beer and figure things out, but then I'm in no shape to do it. 

The next day I can't remember what I figured out, so I have to drink some more beer so I can figure it out again.

Fortunately I eventually run out of beer, temporarily, and get things done.  :bigrin

It's a fine line to walk between having patience and remaining brain power to figure it out.

So did you figure it out? 

If its already tuned for no manifold ref. just leave it at that. Make sure pressures match.

The fuel pump HAS to have a relief regulator... if its totally returnless the pump must have an internal relief in the tank. Or does the return come off that dampener?

1 hour ago, JGSturbo said:

If its already tuned for no manifold ref. just leave it at that. Make sure pressures match.

The fuel pump HAS to have a relief regulator... if its totally returnless the pump must have an internal relief in the tank. Or does the return come off that dampener?

Oh yeah, forgot about that: if there's no vacuum line on the regulator, no need to worry about the rising rate.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, Mac said:

If I was still in San Diego I would be glad to help you out.  I dont know shit about what you are working on, but I would be willing to drink the beers that you no longer can.  😜🍺

3 hours ago, big_daddy_jp said:

So did you figure it out? 

I'm figuring things out.  Most of it is looking up part numbers and trying to find vendors.  The vendors you guys have mentioned haven't been able to help me so I'm doing my own thing.  

The bearings are thicker and needed to be a specific brand to work or completely rehab new spindles.  I spoke to others with my car and they don't have front brakes so...me having brakes need more clearance.  

The fuel pressure regulator, I've figured it out.  I have a direct reading gauge so I can set the pressures and check it and make adjustments as needed.  I don't need no stinking dyno.

A bunch of other stuff I'm just fabbing my own parts.  I like things are particular way so most of my life I just build/make it myself.  I just wish I had access to a machine shop.  When I was a machinist I never had any issues.

2 hours ago, JGSturbo said:

It has a return.

I've figured it out.

46 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Oh yeah, forgot about that: if there's no vacuum line on the regulator, no need to worry about the rising rate.

Yes...it has a vacuum.

37 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

If I was still in San Diego I would be glad to help you out.  I dont know shit about what you are working on, but I would be willing to drink the beers that you no longer can.  😜🍺

GIVER!  I knew I liked you for some reason.

1 hour ago, Mac said:

Yes...it has a vacuum.

Word.  I actually have an adjustable Nissan unit that looks like it has the same bolt pattern, but it's barb fitting.  If for some reason you need it, yours $Free.99 since it's just been collecting dust for a decade now...