Jump to content
SANDPSYCHO

Question for the Phoenix metro area peeps.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

In my endless research on where to move once the wife retires, the Phoenix area keeps coming up for a few reasons. So my question, I have a 97 diesel truck, smog exempt in Commifornia. I also have an 05 diesel pusher motorhome, also no smog required. Am I reading it right that I would have to have both smogged every year?

I'm also seeing that registration fees are rather Californiai$$h, WTH.

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say yes on both vehicles.  My truck and motorhome both go once a year.  Unless you have a friend up north where you could register them there, then they would be exempt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

only if you are in maricopa county or Tuscon now.  I reg all my stuff in Qsite and don't even need smog.  Yes fees are high here. Go up north Mike and you don't have to worry about it.  I think every two years(get two year tags)

Edited by Squatcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My theory on the DMV fees is that someone that used to work in the CA DMV sold everything and moved to AZ. To escape the craziness of CA, much like everyone else. Then they got jobs doing what they know, you guessed it, DMV. In the first year they told someone "we got away with charging A LOT more for registration back when I was in California". Naturally the AZ politicians saw dollar signs and it was all over. Now you'll get to pay $1000 a year to drive your truck in 150 degree heat every July... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My DMV fees were basically less that half of what CA was except for the 2017 Honda which was less than a year old when we brought it here from CA.  The fees fall off quickly as they get older.  My 2014 F150 was about $100 less for two years than the amount CA wanted for 1 year.  I had the renewal with me when I went in.  The smog shit is on stuff 5 years old and older and is every 2 years from what I have seen.  I do not know what they do with diesels.  My diesel moho is not 5 years old yet, so not sure what they do on those, but they did not make me smog it when I bought it out of state from a private party.  No sales tax on it either which was nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Paul said, any county but pima and Maricopa are smug free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes on the diesel.  You will need to smog it EVERY YEAR.  I registered my diesel pusher to a buddies house in Flag and was able to register it for 5 years.  Next time I have to deal with it will be 2024.  Should you sell it you can get the money back so, its easier to just pay it out as far as you can and not mess with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, I am looking at 2 work trucks and one of my personal trucks renewals that just came in the mail.

We now have a $32 "Public Safety Fee" that is added to anything and everything per year.  Damn you California!  Everything was going just fine until you showed up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

We now have a $32 "Public Safety Fee" that is added to anything and everything per year.  Damn you California!  Everything was going just fine until you showed up!

Yeah............that fee was from our fine Governor. It'd be nice to blame it on another state, but it was Ducey's way of creating yet another tax without doing it the way it's intended to be done. I think the $$$ previously used to run DPS were diverted to something else (roads maybe) and now we pay a "fee" to run DPS. Luckily, our legislature has some sense and has removed it, but not until after 2020.

His fee freaking doubled the yearly license fee on ATV's..............from $5.00 to $10.00.    Life ain't fair!

I bet SANDPSYCHO's 97 Ford will be less than 45 bucks per year to register...............plus the PS fee. Our daughter's 2003 F-350 was $55.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, SofaKing said:

Yeah............that fee was from our fine Governor. It'd be nice to blame it on another state, but it was Ducey's way of creating yet another tax without doing it the way it's intended to be done. I think the $$$ previously used to run DPS were diverted to something else (roads maybe) and now we pay a "fee" to run DPS. Luckily, our legislature has some sense and has removed it, but not until after 2020.

 

Thats good to hear, probably remains to be seen how they are going to treat that Public Safety fee if you already registered for >5 years.  I didn't reg my stuff for that long because if you sell it's not likely you get the fee back, only the prorated portion of the VLT. 

Edit- I heard it was the Red for Ed funding workaround

Edited by HonEXduner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Researching what areas require smog is difficult. For sure Maricopa and Pima but then I find it says parts of Pinal and Yavapi are included. Trying to find out what those areas are is a challenge. I feel like I'm looking up something in Commifornia. I must say AZ is of the libtard deep end for testing. Here its every 2 years and never for 2 vehicles I own. Every year testing is rediculas and I though CA set the bar for that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AZ smog test for my 06 duramax is floor it with this little mirror thing about 10 inches from the exhaust and a thanks pay the fee gone so I wouldn't be that concerned with the smog stuff.... Just think of this you can through anything you want in any trash bin no matter the color and you probably won't get a fine can you say that in cali?  If it were me I would say Colorado the durango area or Santa Fe New Mexico.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually found a map and it's a big area. I wonder how long til Prescott, Prescott valley, Chino Valley have to play this game. 

No place is perfect just a matter of what negatives or how many you want to live with. Then figure how far behind the insanity here is the place your looking at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The diesel smog test in AZ is nothing more than a money grab. The do what is called a snap test, you hold the throttle to the floor until it hits the red line on the tack and you have to do it 3 times. The test costs $27. I have a 2001 F-350 and I hate doing it every year but it always passes. For the motor home, set up a Montana LLC and register it there. It will cost about $1500 to set everything up the first hear and since the coach is over 10 years old then you can put a permanent tag on it. The cost to maintain the LLC in Montana is about $150 per year after  that. It will be cheaper to set up the LLC in Montana than to register the coach in AZ. If the coach is financed, the bank will have to allow you to change the ownership of the coach to the LLC so that might be an issue. PM me if you want more info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, metro area's and as population grows more will be included. In Pima county they run the diesel on rollers to 50 mph and hold for about 30 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I actually found a map and it's a big area. I wonder how long til Prescott, Prescott valley, Chino Valley have to play this game. 

No place is perfect just a matter of what negatives or how many you want to live with. Then figure how far behind the insanity here is the place your looking at. 

We were looking in prescott/chino but they are just about as liberal douche filled as san diego now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Dmax runs a little dirty.  I put my tune back to stock and then stick a block of wood under the carpet below the gas peddle.  It creeps up to full RPM this way.  

2 hours ago, HonEXduner said:

Thats good to hear, probably remains to be seen how they are going to treat that Public Safety fee if you already registered for >5 years.  I didn't reg my stuff for that long because if you sell it's not likely you get the fee back, only the prorated portion of the VLT. 

Edit- I heard it was the Red for Ed funding workaround

The smog test is $27 every year.  Saved $135 right there.  Not sure on that $32 dollar fee though.  I am sure they will issue a refund if overpaid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

We were looking in prescott/chino but they are just about as liberal douche filled as san diego now

I didn't get that take from some of the forms I have read and being up there on a few visits. The state is infected with the cancer called Democrats. Texas has the same issue, they call it Austin and of course El Paso. It just sad.

I should add I don't know San Diego that well for the comperison.

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

The smog test is $27 every year.  Saved $135 right there.  Not sure on that $32 dollar fee though.  I am sure they will issue a refund if overpaid.  

Fair point on the testing, I'm not in Maricopa or Pima so nothing to save there for me anyway.  Would hope they refund any unused years' PS fees but I'd rather not find out the hard way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Diesel smog test every year for anything over 5 years old, it's just an opacity test looking for smoke. I take my DP to the facility off of 67th Ave and Van Buren and I'm in and out in literally 5 minutes. It's $27. Az registration isn't too far behind Ca. My DP is a 2013, I just renewed the tags and it is finally down to $2000.

There is a lot of useful information at servicearizona.com 

Edited by fortyfour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping when I move away from here it would be to some place assume. The more I look, the reality is it will just be cheaper. Every state seems to have some form of forced sodomy and crappy weather.  My 22 year old bone stock truck has never been red lined, I hate to try it now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I was hoping when I move away from here it would be to some place assume. The more I look, the reality is it will just be cheaper. Every state seems to have some form of forced sodomy and crappy weather.  My 22 year old bone stock truck has never been red lined, I hate to try it now.  

Register out of county, problem solved, that’s how all the guys with non emission compliant vehicles get around it. Plus if you’re retired why move to phx area, move somewhere up north so you don’t have to deal with all the a$$holes in phx and horrible weather 5 months out of the year. Prescott, flagstaff, showlow, payson all would be nice areas to retire! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SandCo AZ said:

Register out of county, problem solved, that’s how all the guys with non emission compliant vehicles get around it. Plus if you’re retired why move to phx area, move somewhere up north so you don’t have to deal with all the a$$holes in phx and horrible weather 5 months out of the year. Prescott, flagstaff, showlow, payson all would be nice areas to retire! 

I second Show Low and Payson. In fact, going up there tomorrow for a long weekend of camping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The $32 fee thing really pissed me off.    It will be going away in 2021 but it was the governor taking advantage of the tax payers.

 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2019/06/03/arizona-vehicle-registration-fee-stay-full-32-through-2021/1332361001/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, SandCo AZ said:

Register out of county, problem solved, that’s how all the guys with non emission compliant vehicles get around it. Plus if you’re retired why move to phx area, move somewhere up north so you don’t have to deal with all the a$$holes in phx and horrible weather 5 months out of the year. Prescott, flagstaff, showlow, payson all would be nice areas to retire! 

It was a consideration, closer to grandkids, Glamis, restaurants, breweries and entertainment.

I pick a potential area, start researching it and then cross it off the list. After crossing off the entire country you lower your expectation and start evaluating the good and the bad. It's starting to look like financial and the lest amount of suck will be the 2 biggest deciding factors. 

I do appreciate all the input and answer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...