SANDPSYCHO

Question for the Phoenix metro area peeps.

3 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

It was a consideration, closer to grandkids, Glamis, restaurants, breweries and entertainment.

I pick a potential area, start researching it and then cross it off the list. After crossing off the entire country you lower your expectation and start evaluating the good and the bad. It's starting to look like financial and the lest amount of suck will be the 2 biggest deciding factors. 

I do appreciate all the input and answer!

Yeah I would even look at areas north of phx like new river or camp verde, not quite as far as Prescott but still away from the b/s that comes with living in phx! 

28 minutes ago, SandCo AZ said:

Yeah I would even look at areas north of phx like new river or camp verde, not quite as far as Prescott but still away from the b/s that comes with living in phx! 

Kingman and Williams though you do get winter there.

We have a cabin in the Happy Jack area. Nice but I am not really sure I could live there because the pace is so slow. Peaceful and all but occasionally I need some action. Something to consider if you are coming from a busy place.

6 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I was hoping when I move away from here it would be to some place assume. The more I look, the reality is it will just be cheaper. Every state seems to have some form of forced sodomy and crappy weather.  My 22 year old bone stock truck has never been red lined, I hate to try it now.  

I never redlined my dodge,  Just rev it up to above 2K no big deal no boost on the turbo it's only for about 3 seconds.  If your rolling coal you will not pass. My dodge passed every year as long as I took the chip out, with a chip it wouldn't pass.  Took me longer to remove and re-install the chip than roll thru Emissions.  In Az Emissions is a state run private contractor so you have to go to one of those locations.  Lines at the end of the month can be long but if you go when most are working in and out in 10 minutes.

Your truck should be as cheap as you can go.  My dodge was $34.00 per year but now they added some public service fee that is $35.00 so it doubled mine.  Rumor around the water cooler is that the public service fee is going away or will be changed.

Havabrew residents now they can go 5 years at a time and don't have emissions or at least that's what Kevin did.

Posted (edited)

If you don't live in the Phoenix or Tucson metro areas and need a smog check every year or two you can go 5 years on your registration, there's a plus. 

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

13 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

If you don't live in the Phoenix or Tucson metro areas and need a smog check every year or two you can go 5 years on your registration, there's a plus. 

The real benefit imo is not being in the metro area of either city. Some nice smaller place that have all the services you could need. All are also easy drives to metro areas if needed.

Posted (edited)

Phoenix metro is way too crowded and congested for me. We live in Goodyear and rarely ever have to go east of the 101. We live far enough off of the 10 for it to be somewhat quiet at night. If we had to do it over again, we would look for something closer to the outskirts of town with some acreage.  We live on a culdesac and have an 18,000sqft pie shaped lot with no HOA, it suits our needs for the time being but we have been discussing a move to ??. Not sure where or when yet. 

I wouldn't let DMV and emission regulations be a deciding factor for a move. There's some form of necessary evil everywhere you go, you just have to pick your poison. My metal buddy lives on a multi acre lot that had an existing 60x60 shop in a very secluded neighborhood off of the 303 and Grand. Cool properties are out there you just have to look for them.  

Edited by fortyfour

The Department of Transportation said it does not plan to pro-rate registration fees for drivers who must renew before the fee is repealed, however.

For example, a driver whose registration is up in December 2020 would pay the full $32 fee upon renewing for one year, even though the fee would disappear halfway through that person's registration period.

Seems they are not prorating for the upcoming elimination in FY21

It was not immediately clear whether drivers wanting to take advantage of the state's two- and five-year registration options should avoid doing so until the fee disappears.

And no news if you should avoid paying ahead 5 yrs so I doubt they will go back and credit, but then again it is the news and they don't always get things right. 

The smog thing isn't a deciding factor it's just something to put in the con collum towards the bottom. The top spot is the heat and congestion. 

I have gotten much more out of this then I had anticipated and I think we are going to take a look up towards Show Low. We have been up to Prescott and like it there and still in contention. 

I do appreciate all the input and insight, thank you!

Check out Fountain Hills if you need to be closer to phx.  Beautiful quiet community. 

9 hours ago, fortyfour said:

Phoenix metro is way too crowded and congested for me. We live in Goodyear and rarely ever have to go east of the 101. We live far enough off of the 10 for it to be somewhat quiet at night. If we had to do it over again, we would look for something closer to the outskirts of town with some acreage.  We live on a culdesac and have an 18,000sqft pie shaped lot with no HOA, it suits our needs for the time being but we have been discussing a move to ??. Not sure where or when yet. 

I wouldn't let DMV and emission regulations be a deciding factor for a move. There's some form of necessary evil everywhere you go, you just have to pick your poison. My metal buddy lives on a multi acre lot that had an existing 60x60 shop in a very secluded neighborhood off of the 303 and Grand. Cool properties are out there you just have to look for them.  

I live West of Buckeye near the town of Palo Verde. We are almost neighbors. Haha

Prescott is good, The only ehh factor is the road from Prescott to the I-10 avoiding the Phx Metro area.  Until they do some serious upgrading on that road driving up and down it can be a little stressful, I believe Beacheads MRS. was quoted as saying NFW.  which means you have to come down the hill on the East side of town aka the I-17 and then take the 303 around to miss the metro traffic.

Here is the thing with the unbearable Arizona heat..... You are going to be a retired muther effin person. Who the eff cares.  Do what Bob and Karen do, as soon as the temps hit 100 degree's take your big ass diesel pusher and drive someplace where the temps are more to your liking.  Then return to the heat in late Sept as the nights start to cool off.  Your retired you don't have to be anyplace anytime soon. Buy a home in Havabrew or Fort Mohave and 2 acres in the mountains someplace where it might get to 75 and park your happy retired ass 's Big ass pusher there and sit and be retired.

Thats my plan.

7 minutes ago, MWB said:

Prescott is good, The only ehh factor is the road from Prescott to the I-10 avoiding the Phx Metro area.  Until they do some serious upgrading on that road driving up and down it can be a little stressful, I believe Beacheads MRS. was quoted as saying NFW.  which means you have to come down the hill on the East side of town aka the I-17 and then take the 303 around to miss the metro traffic.

Here is the thing with the unbearable Arizona heat..... You are going to be a retired muther effin person. Who the eff cares.  Do what Bob and Karen do, as soon as the temps hit 100 degree's take your big ass diesel pusher and drive someplace where the temps are more to your liking.  Then return to the heat in late Sept as the nights start to cool off.  Your retired you don't have to be anyplace anytime soon. Buy a home in Havabrew or Fort Mohave and 2 acres in the mountains someplace where it might get to 75 and park your happy retired ass 's Big ass pusher there and sit and be retired.

Thats my plan.

Back when we had the 5th wheel we went the 303 to 17 up to Point of Rocks. Very nice RV park a very short hike to the lake away, love it there. I have no desire to tow or even drive the moho up or down the 89. 

Part of our thought of the Phonenix metro area was close down the house and let it cook while we enjoy Mammoth and Utah. 

We are going to take a look at the Show Low area and we both love Utah and the Ogden Valley but the winters can be tough. 

3 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Back when we had the 5th wheel we went the 303 to 17 up to Point of Rocks. Very nice RV park a very short hike to the lake away, love it there. I have no desire to tow or even drive the moho up or down the 89. 

Part of our thought of the Phonenix metro area was close down the house and let it cook while we enjoy Mammoth and Utah. 

We are going to take a look at the Show Low area and we both love Utah and the Ogden Valley but the winters can be tough. 

My mom had a place in Lakeside which is up past Show Low, and the winters did get cold and snowy.  It was about three hours from the Valley or as my step dad use to say far enough to keep you kids from dropping in every weekend.

Payson is better about an hour from the valley but on a Sunday afternoon in July the seep little town ends up bumper to bumper with the flatlanders going home to the Valley,  I have only driven up during off peak times and only made the mistake of driving down during them once. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/21/2019 at 2:06 PM, SANDPSYCHO said:

NO smog if you live outside those areas.    show low would suck to drive to the dunes.  Payson and strawberry are nice and much slower pace than prescott. Williams and camp verde are nice and slow as well. 

Edited by Squatcher

Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2019 at 6:16 AM, Richard H said:

Thats a great price. But it's Kingman......................................

Being from CA I like places like Yavapai Hills for access to trails right out your driveway yet downtown Prescott is just up the road. Chino Valley is not awful either.

Edited by ahipara 55

2 hours ago, ahipara 55 said:

Being from CA I like places like Yavapai Hills for access to trails right out your driveway yet downtown Prescott is just up the road. Chino Valley is not awful either.

Learn me? No knowledge of issues, but then I live under a pile of sand. Had friends that resided there for 20 plus years. (now in Yuma)

3 hours ago, ahipara 55 said:

I would also like to know where there are places where you hit the trails right out of your driveway that isn't too far civilization and not hotter that hades.

I have been through Kingman. Parts of it look like the old dieing town it is. Other part look dead. There is not a lot there, not a lot around it, and it gets stupid hot. 

2 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I have been through Kingman. Parts of it look like the old dieing town it is. Other part look dead. There is not a lot there, not a lot around it, and it gets stupid hot. 

Went through in May, lots of new homes and development going on.

Posted (edited)

You almost need to get retired, then spend some time with the RV in several of the places you might be interested in to get a feel of what life would be like there. We want to relocate somewhere but we don't know where yet. We keep saying that we need to take some time off and just go but we never do. For me (and not necessarily my spouse) we will have to stay within a reasonable distance to Glamis. Besides San Diego, which has California's issues, Phoenix is the next best thing but you have to deal with the heat for 4 months of the year. One very desireable thing about Phoenix is we have no real calamities here, no fires, no earthquakes, no tornados etc. Just the heat. Sure the wind blows during monsoon storms a couple of times a season and breaks the limbs off of trees, and once in while that wind carries in walls of dirt but for the most part it's nothing that a few hours of cleanup doesn't fix. We are starting to think about staying in Phoenix but relocating to the east side, Scottsdale maybe. 

Edited by fortyfour

2 hours ago, fortyfour said:

You almost need to get retired, then spend some time with the RV in several of the places you might be interested in to get a feel of what life would be like there. We want to relocate somewhere but we don't know where yet. We keep saying that we need to take some time off and just go but we never do. For me (and not necessarily my spouse) we will have to stay within a reasonable distance to Glamis. Besides San Diego, which has California's issues, Phoenix is the next best thing but you have to deal with the heat for 4 months of the year. One very desireable thing about Phoenix is we have no real calamities here, no fires, no earthquakes, no tornados etc. Just the heat. Sure the wind blows during monsoon storms a couple of times a season and breaks the limbs off of trees, and once in while that wind carries in walls of dirt but for the most part it's nothing that a few hours of cleanup doesn't fix. We are starting to think about staying in Phoenix but relocating to the east side, Scottsdale maybe. 

Hmmmmmmm................................................. Comparing Phoenix to San Diego? 1 million miles apart in comparison.

Carry on........................................

Yes I know that. I wasn't comparing the two. I was actually discussing an alternative metropolitan area outside of California in relation to the dunes. 

Williams. Chino Valley. Out skirts of Prescott. Whythef2ck would you move to Phoenix??!!!!!