HozayKwarvo

Clutch cover - replace or repair?

Let me start by saying that I’m busy, I’m lazy, and a good functional fix is as good or better than some overpriced bling bullshit that I really don’t care about.

Last season a threw a belt and a chunk of the belt went through the case/cover (towards the front of the x3). Sounds like there’s some high speed low drag stainless titanium triple dipped with sprinkles options out there available with a 30yr 8% loan ... but I’m thinking a cut up beer can and some JB weld will do the trick just fine.

Anyone replaced the entire case? Added the case savers and all that? Thoughts? Favorite color and pizza topping? 

Picture for emphasis 

3749BDA1-EF97-414E-8972-E787C67BCCCD.jpeg

I'm thinking some aluminum foil and KY with some sand sprinkled in will work for you.

Large male dog optional.

I’m not savvy on the x3 but is it a plastic clutch cover? If so, can you fiberglass it back together again?

Just now, big_daddy_jp said:

I’m not savvy on the x3 but is it a plastic clutch cover? If so, can you fiberglass it back together again?

It is indeed. People were quick to find “fixes” made from diamond encrusted billet and unobtainium and charge ridiculous amounts for it. Seems dumb to me, just wanted a sanity check here that sealing up the case to keep water/sand out is good enough and I don’t have to spend money on a stupid “mod” when I could spend that on a good single malt  :hozay:

Ya I have a rzr and I’ve read about numerous people fixing them with fiberglass. Good luck and if you have never done fiberglass it is super easy. Stay in a holiday inn one night and watch YouTube videos. You will be a pro!

An old License plate cut up and a couple pop rivets with some silicone would probably do the job!... 

Two words.........................................

Duct Tape

OK, if you want a serious answer...

So your plastic clutch cover broke. Do you have all of the pieces? Did you break any of the aluminum engine case?

If it's just the clutch cover and you have all of the pieces, you can just glue it back together after you clean it with some acetone. If some of the edge of the engine case broke off as well and you have the pieces, you could - no joke - JB weld those pieces back on. Even if you're missing some small chunks, JB weld could fill those in, as long as everything's clean.

If you don't have the pieces, then black duct tape it is!

Replace the inner cover.  Rocky Mountain has them for a reasonable price (I think it is under $150.00).  Alba and Geiser (or whatever they call themselves) have one piece and two piece aluminum shields you can slip in there to prevent it from happening again.  If you are a sand only rider you might be able to just install the aluminum shield and be good.   

Also Alba and Black Rhino Performance sell a transmission seal saver.   

If you are interested in the aluminum liner I have the two piece one from Alba I never installed. 

2 hours ago, HozayKwarvo said:

Seems dumb to me, just wanted a sanity check here that sealing up the case to keep water/sand out is good enough and I don’t have to spend money on a stupid “mod” when I could spend that on a good single malt  :hozay:

Can't fault yore logic on this one . . .

Flex Seal tape. that stuff sticks like crazy and is thick / tuff . Would not put a big dent in the brew fund either.

Posted (edited)

Get a piece of aluminum and make an inner liner yourself. Make a cardboard template and cut and rivet the aluminum liner to the cover.

If you have all the pieces of the cover, attach them back to the inner liner with rivets. You wont have to fukkkk with it again.

Edited by ahipara 55

You can fix this with ZAP liquid glue (The Pink bottle) and Baking soda!

Tape one side of the hole...flip it over and pour in some baking soda.

When you pour the ZAP glue on it it bonds to plastic instantly. it is sand-able and paintable.

Be careful though as there will be a white puff...DO NOT breathe this in...it's basically cyanide gas! You'd really have to pour a huge dose though to do any harm, but it will clean your sinuses out! LOL

I have fixed a ton of plastic parts with this.

:dbart:

If you are local to Orange county...bring it over and I'll do it.

14 minutes ago, dbart said:

You can fix this with ZAP liquid glue (The Pink bottle) and Baking soda!

Tape one side of the hole...flip it over and pour in some baking soda.

When you pour the ZAP glue on it it bonds to plastic instantly. it is sand-able and paintable.

Be careful though as there will be a white puff...DO NOT breathe this in...it's basically cyanide gas! You'd really have to pour a huge dose though to do any harm, but it will clean your sinuses out! LOL

I have fixed a ton of plastic parts with this.

:dbart:

If you are local to Orange county...bring it over and I'll do it.

It is only cyanide gas!!!    LMAO!!! 

25 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

It is only cyanide gas!!!    LMAO!!! 

Learned this trick from a professor in college and he even warned us.

He thought he stumbled on something remarkable to fix plastic parts. So he contacted a chemist buddy of his to run some tests.

He got the call...DO NOT USE THIS! it's cyanide! But...if you do use it, use it in small doses that's ok, just do not breath it in.

:lmao: