Sand Shark

New cage time for the X3

Back in June I scored a smoking deal on a weld it yourself cage from Cagewrx.  Finally have time to work on putting the cage together. Luckily I have a friend that likes to weld and is helping me. 

Of course anything dealing with the X3 requires way more work that any other SXS.  Canadian engineers like to mess with people and see how difficult they can make even the simplest task.  LOL!    As the cage is welded to some plates on the frame you have to cut off the cage.  In order to get to the welded plates you have to take off most of the body.   Can Am really could not made it more of a pain in the ass and I can see why cage builders and shops charge so much to install a cage. 

Started this project last Friday.  We got all the body work off and cut the cage.  Several rivets hold on the plastics and of course you can never just drill them out without them spinning.  A few f’bombs thrown to Canada and a chisel and off they came . Lol!

On Monday we got back to it!  Had to grinded the residuals of the cage off the mounting plates. Turns out the thin metal is a little tougher than it looks.  We got the cage set up and just need to square everything up before welding.

Super impressed on the Cagewrx set up. All the tubes are notched and indexed for a nice fit.  

I will post more as the project progresses.  This will take a while as we are taking our time.  I don't have any trips planned until October.   

Getting her all naked

cage 1.jpg

cage 2.jpg

cage.jpg

cage1.jpg

Cutting fun.  The cage is only .060" wall thickness!!!

chop 1.jpg

chop 2.jpg

chop 3.jpg

Grinding, some more cutting .

grind 1.jpg

grind 2.jpg

grind 3.jpg

grind 4.jpg

grind 5.jpg

Got the cage all set up

new cage 1.jpg

new cage 2.jpg

new cage 3.JPG

new cage 4.JPG

Got a little more done last night.  Squared up the cage and got it tacked up.    Kiddo thought he could weld.  LOL!

weld 1.jpg

weld 2.jpg

weld 3.jpg

weld 4.jpg

Cagewerx makes a nice cage. I agree with you 100% on the poor engineering design. Everything is a pain in the ass to work on but I do love the looks of these cars. You will be stoked with the new look once completed.

10 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

Cagewerx makes a nice cage. I agree with you 100% on the poor engineering design. Everything is a pain in the ass to work on but I do love the looks of these cars. You will be stoked with the new look once completed.

It is a pain in the ass, but for some reason I find myself tinkering with it way more than any other SXS I have owned.  A gluten for punishment I guess.  LOL!

The cage really changes the look of the X3.   

Does your back tubes have the holes to mount them to the bed?  I had to drill mine from TFBB. 

Oh and I can’t believe how much they do change the look. It’s looking very good. 

57 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

Does your back tubes have the holes to mount them to the bed?  I had to drill mine from TFBB. 

Yep they are pre-drilled so it bolts to the bed. 

What are you going to use for a center mirror?  My cage came with one and it sort of sucks.  I cut the old bracket from my cage and have been contemplating on putting it on.  

2 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

What are you going to use for a center mirror?  My cage came with one and it sort of sucks.  I cut the old bracket from my cage and have been contemplating on putting it on.  

I think I am going to cut off the stock mirror bracket and use part of it to make a bracket that I can weld on the cage and use the stock mirror.   Will figure it out once the cage tubes are all welded.

Just now, Sand Shark said:

I think I am going to cut off the stock mirror bracket and use part of it to make a bracket that I can weld on the cage and use the stock mirror.   Will figure it out once the cage tubes are all welded.

yup, that worked for me.  I was able to place it lower too

And it’s actually a fairly good looking bracket.  

Just curious, what is better about the new cage? Are you going to get it powder coated?

42 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Just curious, what is better about the new cage? Are you going to get it powder coated?

Cleaner lines over the stock cage.  Better design  and better material (in theory). New cage is 1.75 and .095  wall thickness.  Old cage was 1.85 and .060 wall thickness.   Was not planning on doing a cage, but the price was too good to pass up.  It was under $900 for the cage, roof and whip tabs .  

Going to paint it with Steel-it for now.  I am still figuring out what additional stuff I am going to add and light placement.  

My cage is too low profile in front to use a mirror so I bought Seismic mirrors that bolt on the A pillars.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hondajimz said:

My cage is too low profile in front to use a mirror so I bought Seismic mirrors that bolt on the A pillars.

One of the things I like  about the Cagewrx cage is it is the same height as the stock cage.  A lot of the aftermarket cages are too low and  no visibility for the dunes.  

The stock cage is not super high like on the RZR or some of the other SXSs.  

Edited by Sand Shark

Good project and will be worth it.

53 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

Good project and will be worth it.

Been a fun project so far.  

Chopped up the old cage and it is ready for the scrap yard.  Unless someone wants to try and piece it together.  Lol!!

9F6E344C-DD2B-41C1-8F6B-66864F24963D.jpeg

Looking great Shark!

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Looking great Shark!

thanks

Update??