Kraut_n_Rice

Blow up boosted Honda stories here.

For info, and entertainment.

Let us know what you had, how long it lasted, and how spectacularly the parts left the building. Everyone LOVES pics.

This should be a fun thread.  

I'm in for the stories...

Posted (edited)

Don’t have pics of destruction but I turned my 3.2 v6 into a v5 on Brawley slide - renamed Bens hill - had detonation- running 10 PSI 50- 50 gas with 110 and 91 - was on the edge and probably didn’t mix the fuel right :mobeer: - was running like a bat outta hell up the hill right before it let go - then she pushed out smoke like a choo choo all the way back to road runner - she didn’t leave me stranded 👍🏻  It was my first real blow up / equipment fail in the duning experience - luckily  I was a newby and   unphased - would be much angrier if it happened now that I know how much it costs in my time and money and beer for my buddies and I to replace it 😂

but honestly was fun to learn about the why and how it blew - and it started me on the path to really wrenching on and understanding these buggy creatures 

all ended well as the car got a 3.5 with a better turbo bov wastegate headers etc etc etc 

Pics of car with new motor below 

9B81E22D-3873-4E4C-9FA1-D874944033FB.jpeg

5C551D88-461C-482D-A2DA-8FFF12770739.jpeg

Edited by SANDBAM
Add Pictures

Hey look though you can blow one up find another cheap to replace.

Posted (edited)

Mine turned into a v5. No cool story of explosion, the injector stuck open and washed the cylinder and the rings went to chit. Lost compression and the rest is history.......

Edit to ad, it just occurred to me it said "boosted" my bad. Mine is n/a

Edited by The looney duner

@travelah what was it, 3 in one season? Lol 

10 hours ago, SandCo AZ said:

@travelah what was it, 3 in one season? Lol 

Yup! Boosted mine after 1 season NA with stock ecu and missing link. Took it out 2 weeks before Halloween. Made it to the hill Friday night. After a couple runs really enjoying the new power I thought, “I bet I can wheelie this off the starting hill”. Hauling down olds I punched it at the bottom in 3rd and heard boom! Put a nice viewing window in the side of the block. To add insult to injury, my buddy had like a 5’ tow rope and the roost was spraying right in my face the whole tow back. 

2nd one I put an aem in and lasted most of the season. Rode all day in super hot weather and made it to the drags. Must have raced 10 runs down the drags when my dipstick shot out and sprayed hot oil all over me (mid engine). I could hear it pre-detonating right before it happened. Melted the corners of 2 pistons on that one.

3rd one I put a hole in one of the pistons going down the drags.

281AAEA1-369C-45CA-8D16-E73ADD2918DA.png

7D06813D-8AA6-485F-8773-E38224983ED4.png

My Buddy had a supercharged 3.5 years ago, first day of a Funco regatta he made a pass at the drags and a window in his block. As we were hooking up the strap my friend was looking pretty dejected so my 10 year old son decided to ask him why he was upset, "didn't you keep the receipt". Lightened the mood instantly and is the first thing quoted to this day when there is carnage in camp :thumbup:

On 8/26/2019 at 5:12 PM, SANDBAM said:

Don’t have pics of destruction but I turned my 3.2 v6 into a v5 on Brawley slide - renamed Bens hill - had detonation- running 10 PSI 50- 50 gas with 110 and 91 - was on the edge and probably didn’t mix the fuel right :mobeer: - was running like a bat outta hell up the hill right before it let go - then she pushed out smoke like a choo choo all the way back to road runner - she didn’t leave me stranded 👍🏻  It was my first real blow up / equipment fail in the duning experience - luckily  I was a newby and   unphased - would be much angrier if it happened now that I know how much it costs in my time and money and beer for my buddies and I to replace it 😂

but honestly was fun to learn about the why and how it blew - and it started me on the path to really wrenching on and understanding these buggy creatures 

all ended well as the car got a 3.5 with a better turbo bov wastegate headers etc etc etc 

Cool looking car!!! :headbang:

On 8/26/2019 at 5:12 PM, SANDBAM said:

Was it a 3.2 type s?

2 hours ago, Legit Duner said:

Was it a 3.2 type s?

Was not a type s 

2 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

Cool looking car!!! :headbang:

Is a good looking car! - this was my first sand car  -was sold a while ago but is still out there in the dunes with current owner arch Stanton - on the boards - I believe he still owns it