whoopsadaisy

Is anybody an appliance technician, problem with the home fridge ice maker

So I have a Frigidaire with an ice maker in the frigid. Over the last few months, the ice has been freezing together in the bin. Almost like water has spilled on it from the ice tray but there are no icicles hanging from it. Before I tear it out, accidentally brake it and have to buy a new one, I thought I’d check here. 😀

I have a 6 year old LG that started doing that last year.  It progressively got worse until it wouldn't make ice anymore. Then I noticed the fridge wasn't getting as cold, then it finally gave up all together.  LG used a linear compressor for a while and they don't last very long.  It's a known problem now.  They warrantied it...but I still had to pay for the labor.  They put a new linear compressor in it, so will probably only last about 5-6 years and die again.  Not sure what the Frigidaire uses...hopefully it's not a linear compressor?

~jw

I've had similar issues and the ol' YouTube seemed to have worked... it seems we are putting it at the coldest level. Mines goes to from 5 to 0 to -5 on the "how cold" so, all I had to do was go back to zero. Cleaned it all out and let it make ice again. Sure enough, problem went away. Try setting it warmer to see if that helps the over-freezing. Yes that still means the entire tray becomes a single piece of block ice. It's not dripping, trust me. I've obsessed on the tray overflowing but that isn't it. 

So your ice maker has a heater. There is also a timer. Those are the two things I’ve found wrong when my ice makers did that. You tube videos are the bomb. They guided me through how to diagnose the problems and I bought the parts from eBay.

Have you looked into just replacing the complete icemaker unit?  Our Maytag refer had some issues early on and 2 different techs said they replace a lot of complete units because it's easier than trying to determine some of the problems they encounter. An icemaker unit for our Maytag is only a few hundred bucks. 

If you have a meter, diagnosing is simple. It took 5 min to diagnose the issue and the part was $25. 

Thanks GD.com peeps 👍🏻👍🏻.

i had looked on YouTube but I looked closer and found the exact issue I’m having. I need to get in there and see if my tray is cracked.