CRUSTY

Price per Sq Ft - Real Estate Market where YOU live?

Great thread. Proves to me I couldn't afford a 300sq ft shack in Cali. Crazy prices. Got to be some giant house payments.

Yep, I'd be one of those homeless people that are discussed here.

Posted (edited)

Bought in 97 for $71.00/ sq foot for a block house with pool built in 1980

Selling currently for right around $196.00.

Mortgage is under $700.00/ month

Edited by MWB

Here's a fun one...

My parents bought their home in 1972 in Arcadia, $19.31/sq ft...appraised at $727/sq ft

Not bad!

2 hours ago, Retired said:

Home prices are dipping again.

We've been looking at homes in Valencia and Santa Clarita over the past 6 months and I've seen an obvious decline.   Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like we're in for another crash which is great because I get to keep the house I'm in now as another rental without requiring to pull equity to buy the new home. :)

By the way, risky lending is back according to several articles I've read on the WSJ, Morningstar, etc.

The last boom I sold a house for $780k to a guy making $12 a hour. Nobody is handing out loans like that.  Same house is at about $725K now so still not back to peak.

11 minutes ago, Southbayrhino22 said:

The last boom I sold a house for $780k to a guy making $12 a hour. Nobody is handing out loans like that.  Same house is at about $725K now so still not back to peak.

He probably missed the very first payment.

14 minutes ago, Southbayrhino22 said:

:kenk: I'm sure he still doesn't live there????

I don't understand how banks got away with people coming in...can't afford the house let alone the payment, so the banks say: You can't afford this payment so the part you can't afford will just be added on to the loan..  :simrak:

Something like that...

Bought in 97 at $96.41 today's estimate is $256.70. During the crazy boom I could have gotten around $312.00 sq ft. And bought it back 1 year later for. $154. 

Our mortgage is less then our daughter is paying for a 2 bedroom apartment in an old complex in Corona. Crazy!

Another thing  I was told from the appraiser is if you are doing a ReFi...the appraisal value is higher than if you are pulling money out for improvements.

Posted (edited)

$500-$650 per square foot here depending on neighborhood/view/single story/ etc. in Laguna Niguel.  Current house payment is around 7k per month. but the weather in the dog days of summer about 3 miles from the beach is :yay:

IMG_4246-XL.png

Edited by sand junkie

purchased our house in 2015 for $154.00 a square neighbor across the street purchased there house at $207 a square, both houses custom, on 1/2 Acre

we sold our old house in 2015 track home with pool and spa and trailer parking for $169 a square, Zillow shows it at $191.00 comp across the street was $175 per square

Cypress North OC 90630

Paid$130 per square foot in 1999 current comps in our neighborhood are  $365-$405 per square foot 

Posted (edited)

some of these stories are fantastic!  wow

So my 3rd home to me (where I raised my kids and lived the longest)  I purchased it in 1991 at $288k  (3000sqft) =$96 a foot

after we bought, the market still went down to $240k  I was like crying--what did I get my self into.  29years later I owe 16 more payments of $771

I rent it for $3200 a month.  todays value is $266 per foot

Current house (west hills of Murrieta), on 5 acres 5104 sqft with pool and 2500sqft attached RV garage was bought at the absolute lowest time of the 2007 crash.....that would be Aug of 2011 at $156 per foot!  today it would be $280per sqft

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Entry level stuff is flying.....mid upper levels, not so much.....so the experienced people have figured it out....the newbies paying 2k for an apartment want houses....

There are so many factors on a property, I can't imagine how $$/sqft gives you an idea other than for a "normal house" on a "city lot".  I'm in escrow on a 1000 sq ft nicely remodeled stick frame in Menifee on a half acre for $330/sq ft.  The sq ft price seems very high based on the market, but I valued privacy and some of my own open space/land vs. a much larger shit box in a planned development where I could hear my neighbor taking his morning growler.  

4 hours ago, ehall said:

He probably missed the very first payment.

Not sure.  The front house sold for $759K as back had bidding war. We subdivide my old house after tearing it down and built 2. The front house the buyer is a bus boy at Rudy's Old Torrance on weekend.  I asked him he said it adjusted to $6600 a month after 6 months or so and he defaulted.  Still see him on the regular at Rudys. 

Posted (edited)

Bought it 2010 at $112/SF. 1472 sq/ft 3 bedroom 2 bath single story, built in 1987.

Current value is $245/SF

Current mortgage is $1050 a month including taxes and insurance.

San Bernardino. Nice working class neighborhood. 12K Sq/ft lot at the end of a cul de sac.

I'd like to pick up a condo or another house as a rental if the market goes down.

Edited by Fireballsocal

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, evantwheeler said:

There are so many factors on a property, I can't imagine how $$/sqft gives you an idea other than for a "normal house" on a "city lot".  I'm in escrow on a 1000 sq ft nicely remodeled stick frame in Menifee on a half acre for $330/sq ft.  The sq ft price seems very high based on the market, but I valued privacy and some of my own open space/land vs. a much larger shit box in a planned development where I could hear my neighbor taking his morning growler.  

yes, sqft is only good for comparing like homes  high end vs high end, modest vs modest.  as sqft go down the price per foot goes up exponentially as there are still constants like the lot, location, etc

all posters should not only give the $$ per sq foot, but the home size too.  comparing the price per sq foot of a 5000 sqft house can not properly be compared to the pric per sq foot of a 1500 sqft home on price per foot alone

for example your 1000sqft stick frame has a whopping $300+ per square foot price tag,  put that on a 5000 house and you have some nice construction/amenities  whereas you probably don't have that same type of construction on your house but based soley on price  per sqft, it appears to reflect it does.

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

1 hour ago, Fireballsocal said:

Bought it 2010 at $112/SF.

Current value is $245/SF

Current mortgage is $1050 a month including taxes and insurance.

San Bernardino. Nice working class neighborhood. 12K Sq/ft lot at the end of a cul de sac.

I'd like to pick up a condo or another house as a rental if the market goes down.

I think this will be obtainable as soon as a dem gets in office,  be ready.  for now im guessing its 5/6 years away

We're selling two houses right now. Trying to get $275.00. I wouldn't pay that for these two houses but...………... I'll keep you informed (Grapevine, TX) Peace 

Temecula Bought in 2009 at $135/SF now sitting at about $238/SF no plans to move unless the market tanks again. If that happens we have are eyes on a couple areas in town with larger lots and single story homes. 

29 minutes ago, Bigboot said:

Temecula Bought in 2009 at $135/SF now sitting at about $238/SF no plans to move unless the market tanks again. If that happens we have are eyes on a couple areas in town with larger lots and single story homes. 

we did the same thing youre thinking about. more land and single story.  cant imagine doing stairs when im old  lol

1 hour ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

we did the same thing youre thinking about. more land and single story.  cant imagine doing stairs when im old  lol

It is odd the things we make priorities as we get older! We chose not to buy a home on the water in spring valley lake in a large part because it was two story, and all bedrooms were upstairs! 20 years ago it would have never even factored.

1 hour ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Yeah, we bought single story for the same reason.  Doubt we will be moving again, and I do not want to have to install one of those chair lifts if I can no longer climb stairs.  I would probably roll the damn thing if my track record in the dunes is any indication.

19 hours ago, Wash 10 Crew said:

Yucca horse house = $175 (5 acres & house)

Havasu house= $558 (big ass garage and house w/pool)

Havazoo market is the wild wild west, can't seem to find a decent deal (local property whores are getting everything first/fast under the radar).

My buddie is a builder there and making a killing though.