A few months ago I finally found a ride I had been looking into for a while.  '07 Trailblazer SS.  I had recently put headers on it, deleted the cats, had it tuned, and installed electric cooling fans.  Thing rips pretty good!

Tuesday, while I was in Louisville for work, my GF calls me sobbing about how someone had just pulled out in front of her.  After I get through the "are you OK?", "did you call the cops?", etc...  She decides to tell me she was driving my car.  Well, F..  

Initial repair estimates are above $8k, enough to total it.  Well, F...

tbss.jpg

tbss2 (1).JPG

tbss3.JPG

That sucks.  But at the same time I WISH someone would smash me n my Dmax.  A few years back my wife got hit in our 2001 Tahoe and the insurance co offered to let us buy the car from them for the tow yard fees.  But after a month of storage + towing/recovery it wasn't worth it for a 16 year old car with 280k mlies, even though it only needed a new tire/wheel, UCA and an alignment.

Posted (edited)

Funny you say that.  I was rear ended in my DMAX about a year and a half ago.  I begged the adjuster to jack up the appraisal so they would total it.  Nope, in the body shop for something like three months too.

This one I want fixed.

Edited by Kraut_n_Rice

Parts must be expensive on that thing. Doesn't look like 8k in damage to me. 

Fix it yourself!

Tough to see in those pics, but the core support is toast.  It was rubbing on the tire, not just plastic.  I'm really surprised the radiator and condenser aren't F'd from being twisted so much.  Hood went with the core support.  All the front stuff is fairly SS specific too.

Even though it won't come out of my pocket (or my insurance), I'm getting a second estimate tomorrow.

If it gets totaled I might buy it back.  But it would sit for a few months before I could get to work on it.

1 hour ago, hondajimz said:

Parts must be expensive on that thing. Doesn't look like 8k in damage to me. 

Yeah?  Well what do you know!  Oh, wait...

ah bummer dude, she owes you 

Damn...………...EFFN idiot Drivers. Peace

I would 100% buy that back and fix it if you really liked it.  That looks like a few evenings in the garage worth of work.

Total bummer

is that the one with the V8 and big rear end?  Should be worth more than 8k....  Do an owner retained salvage, get a folder, take a crap load of pics and save every estimate, get all the invoices...then you have a complete record of the total loss in case another buyer wants to try to say it's not fixed right.

If other parties insurance is covering, take a check in lue of repairs, make sure they have everything covered. Don't let them give a salvage certificate and repair it yourself. May have to take a little less money to avoid salvage title but you can locate used front parts and repair. It is not that bad imo.

Man that was a beauty. Seems your your the kids of guy to fix it so keep us posted. 

Posted (edited)

Time to BRO it out!!!

e7ad695d3cc671aaaeb7feb12c640f92.jpg

Edited by Wash 10 Crew

I am not a fan of this but have your wife claim personal injury sore neck back wrist, air bag trauma etc. Its all soft tissue injury so just pain and suffering. A lot of times insurance companies with throw $3500-$5000 go away settlement money. That could cover completely fix the car.

32 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I am not a fan of this but have your wife claim personal injury sore neck back wrist, air bag trauma etc. Its all soft tissue injury so just pain and suffering. A lot of times insurance companies with throw $3500-$5000 go away settlement money. That could cover completely fix the car.

for sure do this.  also I have guy in town works out of the house and great prices.  Just picked my rail up this morning from him. Tell them  you want it repaired and not totalled.  it is there obligation to make you whole.  also though the personal injury in there.  you really don't know that she wont have issues in the future.  My Dads neck is messed up from a rear ender

14 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

for sure do this.  also I have guy in town works out of the house and great prices.  Just picked my rail up this morning from him. Tell them  you want it repaired and not totalled.  it is there obligation to make you whole.  also though the personal injury in there.  you really don't know that she wont have issues in the future.  My Dads neck is messed up from a rear ender

Heck, get the parts and I'll put it together, you do my ecu and harness. You will have to get painted. (outside) Shop a used 3/4 rf unbolt, no hood or water a/c. Though it would be here in Tucson.

Damn that sucks.

Had your GF been driving something else, maybe the outcome would have different...maybe she was safer in this thing?

Glad she is ok...this can be fixed.

It just sucks.

Yesterday my nephew was rear ended by some "Undocumented" individual with no effing insurance!

Pushed his truck into the car in front of him. His steering is all jacked. Who knows what is's gonna be to fix.

4 hours ago, r3meyer said:

I would 100% buy that back and fix it if you really liked it.  That looks like a few evenings in the garage worth of work.

I travel a ton for work, so this would really take me months.

3 hours ago, realbadlarry said:

is that the one with the V8 and big rear end?  Should be worth more than 8k....  Do an owner retained salvage, get a folder, take a crap load of pics and save every estimate, get all the invoices...then you have a complete record of the total loss in case another buyer wants to try to say it's not fixed right.

Yes.

55 minutes ago, Richard H said:

Heck, get the parts and I'll put it together, you do my ecu and harness. You will have to get painted. (outside) Shop a used 3/4 rf unbolt, no hood or water a/c. Though it would be here in Tucson.

We might be in touch...

17 minutes ago, dbart said:

Damn that sucks.

Had your GF been driving something else, maybe the outcome would have different...maybe she was safer in this thing?

It just sucks.

Yesterday my nephew was rear ended by some "Undocumented" individual with no effing insurance!

Pushed his truck into the car in front of him. His steering is all jacked. Who knows what is's gonna be to fix.

She has a '16 Kia Soul, so maybe more damage, maybe.  More safety features though.

If you decide to buy it back and not fix it, I would be a buyer depending on the price- Been wanting one of those for a while. Glad she is ok!

-John

2 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

And people wonder why their premiums are so expensive. Good to see a retired LEO endorsing Insurance fraud. 

2 hours ago, dbart said:

Damn that sucks.

It just sucks.

Much easier to get a new gf than a cherry ss trailblazer. 

She's already being treated for back/arm issues.  Tough to slide that in too.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, hondajimz said:

And people wonder why their premiums are so expensive. Good to see a retired LEO endorsing Insurance fraud. 

Do you feel better, maybe a bit more important, not quite as inadequate as you usually do? Take something I said and twist it so you can take a cheap shot at me. Do feel like a big man now? Maybe people like you are why most people that join this site don't post, because someone like you inevitably will take a cheap shot so they can feel a little better about thier pathetic existance. Glad I could be such an easy target for you to make yourself feel better. You are what makes Glamisdunes.com so great. 

Edited by SANDPSYCHO