John@Outfront Mtrsprts

anyone have knowledge of moving a 100 year old Oak tree 35 feet

I have a really important reason to have to move an Oak tree on my property  18" diameter trunk 25foot canopy, 25foot high.  having a bid on sat but didn't know if anyone had any experiences with this kind of job.  So far I hear its a 2 month process, cut a 10 x 10 foot trench 3foot deep, then excavate 4 feet down and box it up like a normal tree. Band it tight.  water every other day for 2 months and don't disturb.  then excavate by hand under the tree and box the bottom in.  all done with large 2 x 12"  then either a 60k crane or slide it with a huge excavator into its new position

I see these things around Omaha all the time...

52772589-A3C6-434D-8A83-C22ADE0C6B28.jpeg

On a tree that large, I am not an expert, but have been told an oak tree has a root system that nearly mirrors its size, and I would venture to say you run a high risk of killing the tree.. Again I'm not an expert, by I would asp a professional arborist , not your local Jose landscaper.

1 hour ago, SCHMIDTY said:

On a tree that large, I am not an expert, but have been told an oak tree has a root system that nearly mirrors its size, and I would venture to say you run a high risk of killing the tree.. Again I'm not an expert, by I would asp a professional arborist , not your local Jose landscaper.

its not jose but Chano lol. but this is what he does for a living

1 hour ago, whoopsadaisy said:

I see these things around Omaha all the time...

52772589-A3C6-434D-8A83-C22ADE0C6B28.jpeg

yeah i saw this on you tube. amazing machine.  i also saw them move a massive tree in a 20' x 20' box. 1500 feet away.  two huge dozers pulling and 2  35ton excavators pulling them and one more excavator pushing.  they should a pic of the tree 5 years later. a city landmark

John, seriously

Fire wood for years and plant a few new ones.

In CA....probably a $100,000 worth of firewood fines.....can you even move it? I know some of the cities are really stupid about stuff like that...

I park my trucks on a 70 acre tree farm and they do lots of oak trees and the process you described is how they do it. I see them bring in lots of small oaks in small pots and plant them  in the ground then they water them for a year or 2 and repot  them in a box 3 times the size as they originally arrived in they go up for sale again. they have a very low loss rate on there transplants oaks.

1 hour ago, Grease Monkey said:

John, seriously

Fire wood for years and plant a few new ones.

Good for the smoker.

Posted (edited)

Yes inthe desert we salvage trees from March to October - the growing season - I started my career working for the guy who was the first to box up the native trees and replant after project is done - started the industry of tree salvage 

all sounds about right John - we side box and let sit for 2 weeks min then lean over and bottom the tree - then it’s ready for transport 

the tree spader is an awesome machine but doesn’t have a good success rate here with the larger desert trees in my experience 

ill call you tomorrow for review of the project 

9353AB20-C08E-4B8E-B125-75622F54534F.jpeg

ECAAAE5A-780F-4D23-BF9A-587A04B4D9C7.jpeg

45C674AD-1EC8-4263-9986-740D5A886500.jpeg

947F28FE-E038-4EC7-A9E2-02B349E5B34C.jpeg

EA0CD90D-9F7B-46A0-824B-A50099B0F154.jpeg

A4E7190A-2275-4BDD-8BC6-4CB492E1CDA4.jpeg

Edited by SANDBAM

Posted (edited)

My wife had a client who did this with a big tree, Magnolia Grandiflora, in El Segundo. The clients daughter is an eco nut and didn't want them to just chop it down as they were building a new home. They payed about 25+ grand to move it like 20 ft in the front yard. Well, it died.

Edited by Air450

A machine like that digger probably won't work in Johns rocky soil. No telling what the roots have wrapped themselves around in 100 years. This is going to be an interesting project. Keep us informed.

Interesting thread, keep us updated and post a pic or two of the tree and process! 

First dig a hole where you want it to go.  Then dig out the tree where it sits.  Next tie a very strong strap to your tow vehicle.  Back up and get a running start.  The goal is to sling shot the tree from its current hole to its new hole.  If done right it will launch into the air and then land perfectly into the new hole.

Be sure to give it lots of water and love.

13 hours ago, SCHMIDTY said:

What’s wrong with Jose? I know two of them that are licensed arborist.

4 hours ago, cali kid said:

awesome-awkward-being-love-favim-com-1060768.png

4 hours ago, cali kid said:

Seriously, it was  a metaphor.anyone can move a tree , but not everyone can move one and make it survive.. even then , there’s no guarantee..

We set them all the time, did one last week that came in at 32K lbs. It was smaller than what you are describing, the roots / dirt are massive on oak trees....

we are removing this tree today. the trunk is 3 feet in diameter.  it died a few years back after our freak 100 year snow fell at 1300 feet.  the tree you see behind it is the one i want to move near the place of the dead tree was.  it is an engelmann oak and they are much more sensitive to root disruption. 

20190831_080754.jpg

20190831_080930.jpg

20190831_081057.jpg

Posted (edited)

raspadoo......what size box did that tree have?  we are guessing mine will be at least 10x10 and 4 feet deep.  guessing 50,000lbs . am i close?  look at the tree in previous post and compare to the full size truck there.  its 25foot tall. maybe 25/30 canopy

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

all this work so i can put up my detached man cave.  45deep x 55wide. 2 20x14 roll up doors

3 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

all this work so i can put up my detached man cave.  45deep x 55wide. 2 20x14 roll up doors

Can't wait to see that done! They have boxed up a few from past job sites to place elsewhere on the job (Elsinore/Canyon lake areas). They seem to have lasted.

I remember they wanted the tree to face the same direction as it came from ground. They put ribbon on north side.

23 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

raspadoo......what size box did that tree have?  we are guessing mine will be at least 10x10 and 4 feet deep.  guessing 50,000lbs . am i close?  look at the tree in previous post and compare to the full size truck there.  its 25foot tall. maybe 25/30 canopy

it was a 96 or 108" cant recall. That is a solid guess IMO. Lot easier to estimate Palm trees, lots of variables with Oaks. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, HappyW/VForce said:

Can't wait to see that done! They have boxed up a few from past job sites to place elsewhere on the job (Elsinore/Canyon lake areas). They seem to have lasted.

I remember they wanted the tree to face the same direction as it came from ground. They put ribbon on north side.

yep. we are simply going to dig a 15foot wide trench to the new location. then hopefully drag it there.  so it will be facing the same direction.  looking at the cost of renting a 70,000lb excavator for that job vs using a crane at $350 an hour

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Save yourself thousands, plant new one, chop down old.